Massive Grade Inflation + Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion = A Piss-Poor Public Education System

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

The article examines the general phenomenon of grade inflation in both "higher" education and public K-12.

As even the dumbest kid on the soccer team knows, if everyone gets a trophy then the trophy is meaningless. But when you are talking about something that is more important than a silly game, the ramifications are much more serious. What is one to make of a resume that is seasoned with these stratospheric grades? Especially when it comes from an institution that is predominantly "minorities"? Who would give it any credence?

One can only hope that the professions can resist the temptation to make medical boards, bar exams, PE stamps, CPA credentials and so on just as meaningless as a current college degree.

An example of the phenomenon from out in Left Field...when I was in the Army, one of my assignments was handling Officer Efficiency Reports. Those reports evaluated all officers, at least once a year, on 25 or so qualities that could make them good officers. The grading was something like, Outstanding, Excellent, Above Average, Average, Needs Improvement. The legend at the bottom of the rating form told rating officers that the rating of "Outstanding" should ONLY BE GRANTED to officers who are the best the rating officer has ever known for that trait. Every single officer got rated "Outstanding" in every single category, every time.

I believe they tried to get a handle on this a few years later, but one wonders how it could have ever become as bad as it was during Vietnam.

The article examines the general phenomenon of grade inflation in both "higher" education and public K-12.

As even the dumbest kid on the soccer team knows, if everyone gets a trophy then the trophy is meaningless. But when you are talking about something that is more important than a silly game, the ramifications are much more serious. What is one to make of a resume that is seasoned with these stratospheric grades? Especially when it comes from an institution that is predominantly "minorities"? Who would give it any credence?

One can only hope that the professions can resist the temptation to make medical boards, bar exams, PE stamps, CPA credentials and so on just as meaningless as a current college degree.

An example of the phenomenon from out in Left Field...when I was in the Army, one of my assignments was handling Officer Efficiency Reports. Those reports evaluated all officers, at least once a year, on 25 or so qualities that could make them good officers. The grading was something like, Outstanding, Excellent, Above Average, Average, Needs Improvement. The legend at the bottom of the rating form told rating officers that the rating of "Outstanding" should ONLY BE GRANTED to officers who are the best the rating officer has ever known for that trait. Every single officer got rated "Outstanding" in every single category, every time.

I believe they tried to get a handle on this a few years later, but one wonders how it could have ever become as bad as it was during Vietnam.
Shit, if a 1/2 white male homosexual who barely made the grade can be President then anyone can, as long as the grades keep getting curved.

Obama Classmate Reveals Why College Records Sealed | SOTN: Alternative News, Analysis & Commentary
But what is Obama hiding in his college records that he doesn’t want anyone to find out about? I also have to wonder how much he has paid those who do know to keep it quiet? Or were they threatened rather than paid off as it wouldn’t be the first time that has happened. Just ask Sheriff Joe Arpaio or former President Bill Clinton.
With his college records securely sealed away, we may never know what deep dark career ending secrets they may hold, but there is someone who has a pretty good idea of just what they may be hiding.

Shit, if a 1/2 white male homosexual who barely made the grade can be President then anyone can, as long as the grades keep getting curved.

Obama Classmate Reveals Why College Records Sealed | SOTN: Alternative News, Analysis & Commentary
Obama's records, like everyone else is sealed because of the law called FERPA, and only he can authorize their release. You could find out my grades in undergraduate or graduate school without my permission!

I didn't like Obama one bit, but this bullshit about his records being sealed is just that - total bullshit!

We should go back the elementary school grading system: Pass/Fail.

When I was in elementary school we were also graded on social development. "Plays well with others", was one category. Perhaps if we paid more attention to this we could identify future school shooters.

When I was in elementary school we were also graded on social development. "Plays well with others", was one category. Perhaps if we paid more attention to this we could identify future school shooters.
I am sure they used that in your school through the 12th grade, didn't they?

I'm glad to read this...and happily surprised bc conservatives are usually very big on grades. My district has done this only through 5th grade, but it's a little more than "pass/fail". It's more like a three tier system: like, on target, moving toward target, and we have a big problem. And the teacher communicates significantly with parents on the nuances of each category in each subject for their child. And yes, esp in the early grades, lots of categories for things like follows directions, cooperates, completes tasks, etc.

From what I've seen this is a good system. Grades are an assessment. Assessing students is important for everyone, but giving 1st graders A-F is probably not necessary.

I'm glad to read this...and happily surprised bc conservatives are usually very big on grades. My district has done this only through 5th grade, but it's a little more than "pass/fail". It's more like a three tier system: like, on target, moving toward target, and we have a big problem. And the teacher communicates significantly with parents on the nuances of each category in each subject for their child. And yes, esp in the early grades, lots of categories for things like follows directions, cooperates, completes tasks, etc.

From what I've seen this is a good system. Grades are an assessment. Assessing students is important for everyone, but giving 1st graders A-F is probably not necessary.
If I recall we also had "incomplete" as well as "pass" and "fail". K through 6th grade.

The problem today is that the system emphasizes a social education at the expense of academics.

When I was in elementary school we were also graded on social development. "Plays well with others", was one category.

Sounds like a recipe for corruption, pay to play, group think disasters. We need whistle blowers who speak against corrupt authorities.

Forum List

Back