Zone1 Mary Is The Mother Of Jesus Christ, She Isn't Actually Jesus Christ

I'm thinking that would be a waste of my time. If you can't connect the dots between dying to self and behaviors and outcomes, I doubt you have what it takes in the first place.
That was a fun cop out.

And thus you've discovered the secret of religion. Many shekels to be had fleecing the flock.
I thought that too but there's no evidence of that. So you believe 24,000 manuscripts - written by hand - was some massive conspiracy to fleece others. Interesting. What about the written manuscripts from other events in antiquity? Do you feel the same way about them?

Again, in isolation, sure. You can't control what other people do and their actions can effect your outcomes.
So you are saying that other people control your outcomes? Do you know what MBI is? Or how it's used to hire people in Fortune 500 companies? Because you sound like someone who may have an external locus of control.

You should never transfer your control to external sources.

I thought that too but there's no evidence of that. So you believe 24,000 manuscripts - written by hand - was some massive conspiracy to fleece others. Interesting. What about the written manuscripts from other events in antiquity? Do you feel the same way about them?
Are you seriously telling me that people only write things down that are the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. L. Ron Hubbard went through all the work of writing a long book. Does that make Scientology true?

So you are saying that other people control your outcomes? Do you know what MBI is? Or how it's used to hire people in Fortune 500 companies? Because you sound like someone who may have an external locus of control.

You should never transfer your control to external sources.
If I'm sitting in a car at a red light and someone drives into me, did I cause the accident? No. Obviously other people's actions can have an effect on me. Why are you looking at me like I have two heads? Do you believe that you psychically control everyone?

Are you seriously telling me that people only write things down that are the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. L. Ron Hubbard went through all the work of writing a long book. Does that make Scientology true?
There are embellishments throughout the bible that were used to make the accounts more memorable so they could be passed down more easily because that's how they passed down information back then; orally, from generation to generation.

George Washington didn't really chop down a cherry tree. The point of the account was George was an honest dude. Just because he didn't really chop down a cherry tree doesn't diminish the veracity of the story. He really was a good dude.

The difference with the NT and the OT is that the OT used embellishments to accent the truth that was being passed down in each account. In the NT the "embellishments" were the accounts.

I think you comparing Christianity to Scientology is just as idiotic as you comparing God to Santa Clause.

So then why is it so hard to believe that faith in God has a functional advantage over atheism?
Never has for me, but maybe it works for you. But a functional advantage of faith in god or gods isn't evidence that god or gods exist. Your belief in god may give you confidence which then improves outcomes. Studies have found that ritualistic behavior before an act improves the outcome of the act, but only if the ritual is performed correctly. If a mistake is made in the ritual then outcomes are worse. I attribute this to psychology rather than magic or divine intervention.

If I'm sitting in a car at a red light and someone drives into me, did I cause the accident? No. Obviously other people's actions can have an effect on me. Why are you looking at me like I have two heads? Do you believe that you psychically control everyone?
I'm not going to try to talk you out of having an external locus of control mentality. If you want to transfer your power and control to external sources, please be my guest.

Never has for me, but maybe it works for you. But a functional advantage of faith in god or gods isn't evidence that god or gods exist. Your belief in god may give you confidence which then improves outcomes. Studies have found that ritualistic behavior before an act improves the outcome of the act, but only if the ritual is performed correctly. If a mistake is made in the ritual then outcomes are worse. I attribute this to psychology rather than magic or divine intervention.
According to Darwin if religion (aka belief ion a higher power) didn't have a functional advantage it would have died out long ago.

Ever hear of the happiness advantage?

I'm not going to try to talk you out of having an external locus of control mentality. If you want to transfer your power and control to external sources, please be my guest.
This is black and white thinking on your part. Some things I control, some things I don't. BTW, are you the one who caused all the inflation? Did inflation happen to everybody except you?

This is black and white thinking on your part. Some things I control, some things I don't. BTW, are you the one who caused all the inflation? Did inflation happen to everybody except you?
Actually, it's just science. The science of Motivational Based Interviewing. It's how large companies weed out people with external locus of control mindsets in the job hiring process. They found that it's easier to hire people who produce results than it is to train people to produce results. They ask open ended questions to see if you blame others or make excuses for why things didn't go well. Then they cross you off the list.

My point in all of this is that behaviors do affect outcomes and by changing behaviors - such as dying to self - you will experience success in all things. And then there's the happiness advantage...

My point in all of this is that behaviors do affect outcomes and by changing behaviors - such as dying to self - you will experience success in all things. And then there's the happiness advantage...
I agree that changing behaviors will change outcomes. That doesn't mean that I'm immune from other people's actions. I don't believe that you've died to self. Had you done so you would never do anything that benefits yourself (e.g. eating). And you still haven't explained how dying to self indicates that Jesus is real rather than allegorical. And we both know that it's because you can't.

I agree that changing behaviors will change outcomes. That doesn't mean that I'm immune from other people's actions. I don't believe that you've died to self. Had you done so you would never do anything that benefits yourself (e.g. eating). And you still haven't explained how dying to self indicates that Jesus is real rather than allegorical. And we both know that it's because you can't.
I can't be goaded into giving you wisdom, bro. In fact, it has the opposite effect.

I can't be goaded into giving you wisdom, bro. In fact, it has the opposite effect.
I just goaded you into giving me wisdom on your psychology. When you're incapable of doing something then a psychological defense mechanism kicks in and you take control by convincing yourself that you don't want to accomplish it. Your need to preserve your autonomy shows that you have not, in fact, died to self. You never crucified your ego, you merely clothed it in Shroud of Turin.

I just goaded you into giving me wisdom on your psychology. When you're incapable of doing something then a psychological defense mechanism kicks in and you take control by convincing yourself that you don't want to accomplish it. Your need to preserve your autonomy shows that you have not, in fact, died to self. You never crucified your ego, you merely clothed it in Shroud of Turin.
I'm sure you do see it that way.

Forum List

Back