Man Arrested in Own Home for Indecent Exposure

I'd have to look it up but that is what WTOP reported in the story when they interviewed an attorney (not his). Remember this is Virginia, not Texas.

§ 18.2-387. Indecent exposure.

Every person who intentionally makes an obscene display or exposure of his person, or the private parts thereof, in any public place, or in any place where others are present, or procures another to so expose himself, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. No person shall be deemed to be in violation of this section for breastfeeding a child in any public place or any place where others are present.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-236; 1960, c. 233; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1994, c. 398.)

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-387
ah, but it wasn't intentually done, and she wasn't in his house she was in his yard looking in his window.

Every person who intentionally makes an obscene display or exposure of his person, or the private parts thereof, in any public place, or in any place where others are present, or procures another to so expose himself, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. No person shall be deemed to be in violation of this section for breastfeeding a child in any public place or any place where others are present.

there ya go
bringing the actual law into the topic :lol:

That brings into play the thing we don't know. Was his actions action intentionally offensive or obscene, and what is considered obscene at all. We don't have enough information at this point to answer eother question regarding this case.

Also, this law could mean that anyone who "flips the bird" at you can be arrested, and charged with a misdemeanor. That is an intentional act of obscenity. Just sayin' .
No. Flipping 'the Bird' Is Protected Speech.

A Springfield, Va man was making coffee in his house at 5 AM this morning in the buff. A female passerby with her 7 year old son saw the man through his window and called the police.

Video: Man arrested for making coffee naked - UPI.com

Ridiculous.

5 AM?

The woman over reacted and then worse, still, so did the cops.

We don't know that. They're all innocent until proven guilty so nobody can really assume anything just yet. She said it was after 8 am and he was first in the open carport door then moved to a large window that faced the direction she and her child were walking.

He said:

She said:

The naked truth? Woman's account exposes different story - wtop.com

I understand the fear that police could come into your home and arrest you for something, anything but this raises some questions about how free you can really get without offending your neighbors.

They can tell you how high your grass can be or to get trash out of your yard.. I would think having a flasher in the neighborhood might lower property values as well.

We'll have to see how it turns out.

The woman told police it was 8:40 a.m. when she was walking her son to school along a path between houses. She said they first spotted Williamson naked in an open door in the car port of his home.

She also told police that Williamson then walked across the house to a large window, facing the way she was walking.

Well, that makes more sense than his claim she was walking by with a 7 year old at 5 AM.

there ya go
bringing the actual law into the topic :lol:

That brings into play the thing we don't know. Was his actions action intentionally offensive or obscene, and what is considered obscene at all. We don't have enough information at this point to answer eother question regarding this case.

Also, this law could mean that anyone who "flips the bird" at you can be arrested, and charged with a misdemeanor. That is an intentional act of obscenity. Just sayin' .

No, you're reading it wrong. "... an obscene display or exposure of his person, or the private parts thereof"

I'd have to look it up but that is what WTOP reported in the story when they interviewed an attorney (not his). Remember this is Virginia, not Texas.

ah, but it wasn't intentually done, and she wasn't in his house she was in his yard looking in his window.
The police thought otherwise.

He said:

She said:

The naked truth? Woman's account exposes different story - wtop.com

I understand the fear that police could come into your home and arrest you for something, anything but this raises some questions about how free you can really get without offending your neighbors.

They can tell you how high your grass can be or to get trash out of your yard.. I would think having a flasher in the neighborhood might lower property values as well.

We'll have to see how it turns out.

The woman told police it was 8:40 a.m. when she was walking her son to school along a path between houses. She said they first spotted Williamson naked in an open door in the car port of his home.

She also told police that Williamson then walked across the house to a large window, facing the way she was walking.

Well, that makes more sense than his claim she was walking by with a 7 year old at 5 AM.

Thanks, Emma. You just can't say oh well, he was innocently making coffee and she overreacted. I'm not saying she was telling the truth and he was lying, you just have to question it.

A 29-year-old Springfield man has been charged with indecent exposure after a mother and son claimed he stood naked in his doorway and then moved in front of an open window as they walked down a path leading to an elementary school.

But Erick Williamson tells WTTG Fox 5 that he was making coffee at the time and the mother and her 7-year-old son cut through his yard. He claims he didn't know they were there.

Police say they've received additional reports regarding Williamson's nudity and they're distributing a flyer in the neighborhood around the 8700 block of Arley Drive, where Williamson lives with roommates.

The incident happened around 8:40 a.m. Monday, police said. The mother and son were walking down a path that runs past Williamson's house and between tennis courts and Hunt Valley Elementary School.

Was he making coffee naked or exposing himself to a child? | Washington Examiner

BTW, best part of the article : "Hawkins said the association advocated naked responsibility."

Last edited:
This is getting weird.

Williamson was acting strange Monday morning, the roommate said.

"We wake up to Eric running around the house with nothing but a work hardhat on, butt naked," the roommate said.

"I was upstairs, downstairs without clothes on for several hours," Williamson told NBC4 Wednesday. "And then I ended up putting pants on when I guess that act got old I ended up putting some pants on."

On Wednesday, investigators told FOX 5 they have reason to believe there may have been another incident in which someone saw Williamson naked in front of his window. They're asking anyone who may have seen Williamson in the nude through his windows to come forward, even if it was at a different time.

Police are especially concerned because the house is located across the street from a bus stop for school children.

Police wouldn't release the incident report or the name of the mother who filed the complaint. FOX 5 has learned she is a respected member of the community, and just happens to be the wife of a Fairfax County Police officer.

FOX 5 also spoke with some of Williamson's roommates, and they said they believed Eric was drunk on Monday morning when they were all leaving for work around 5 a.m. The alleged exposure happened around 8:30 a.m. Williamson, however, says he was drinking on Sunday night, but was not drunk on Monday morning.
Police: Others May Have Seen Naked Man in Window

Hardhat? :eusa_eh:

The key word is the first word, intentional, hence it would not apply in this instance.

What part of "OR" do you people not understand?

For God's sake, OR is not the key word. "Intentional" is the key word. OR was linking the words display OR exposure that WAS intentional. Take a reading comprehension class.

or

definition:

A particle that marks an alternative; as, you may read or may write, that is, you may do one of the things at your pleasure, but not both. It corresponds to either. You may ride either to London or to Windsor. It often connects a series of words or propositions, presenting a choice of either; as, he may study law, or medicine, or divinity, or he may enter into trade

Now I argue that the first alternative would be the "intentional" obscene display and the second alternative ( the "or") is simply the exposure of ones private parts in public. Note the second alternative doesn't clarify as it having to be intentional. If both alternatives meant to be intentional displays then the second alternative would be redundant. Because the only difference would be the word "obscene", and I argue than any display of ones genitalia is obscene especially when children are considered.

Damn dude, remember you're 3rd grade english and parse the sentence:
Intentional display or exposure, the emphasis is on intentional.

I'd argue he intentionally wore no clothes and he intentionally left the shades pulled up.

Ok, argue it all you want. The trick is proving it in a court of law (intentionally leaving the shades up). Hell dude I've accidentally done it a couple of times when my wife left the shades open and didn't tell me. The second thing I do after taking a leak is go to the kitchen and start the coffee, then I get dressed. I check every time now to make sure the shades are pulled. I'm sure he'll start doing that from now on. :lol:

How easy would it be to prove you left your shades up "accidently"?

In order to prove indecent exposure it must be shown the act was intentional.

Ignorance is no excuse. You just can't walk around like that without the drapes drawn. He could have thrown some boxers on.

Americans are afraid of their own sexuality. OMG, it's a naked man. Cover your eyes or you might see something you've never seen before, lmao. And please don't take that to mean that we should all be running in the streets naked. Just saying, this ain't no big deal, or at least it shouldn't be.
Typical bible thumping Nazi **** and then the glassy eyed unemployables had to go protecting and serving.
Idiocracy.

If you can be seen by the public then you are breaking the law. That's the law in Texas anyhow.

I believe he should have made sure that there was no way to be seen. How someone can feel that free, I really don't understand.

However, In Texas, at least in Dallas, you can walk around naked, even on the street, and if they cannot prove that your intent was sexual, there is no law violation. That happened a couple of weeks in Dallas.

I suppose the person might be a nudist, and just happen to have forgotten to close the curtain.

In any case, I don't feel that free at all.

Must be a new city ordinance. I came home about two weeks ago and there was this naked woman ( about 30ish) standing just outside the gate to my backyard pool. Now this girl had to have been whacked out on something because she would not leave and she would not get dressed, I called the sheriff's dept. (every deputy in the county arrived) and they arrested her for public indecency.

I'd like to see the source for the story you related. Or perhaps a city statute on nudity laws.

Last edited:
in post 26 you say you don't believe that indecent exposure is required to be an intentional act.

In post 28, you clearly and correctly state that it must be an "intentional obscene display or exposure...."

Seems pretty clear that there needs to be at least some level of intent. Whether intent is proven by the act in this particular instance is something I can't answer because I don't know how those laws are construed where this man lives.

I do think the woman calling the police was a bit insane, though. I mean seriously....

Key word is "or".

What if the man turns out to be a child predator and the woman failed to report the incident, then later learn that he child or another child fell victim to this man. Personally I'd rather err on the side of the childrens safety. Besides we don't know if he meant to be seen or not, doyou honestly believe a man that flashes people is going to admit it? Can you say "naive"?

I don't have time to read the rest of this thread tonight, but I can't believe some of the leaps that posters have taken. You're speculating that the man is a child predator because he was naked in his own house. Good grief. Unless the man's house was smack in the walking path then the woman simply could have looked away. The United States of America.. home of the perpetually offended.

No I said "if" the man was a child predator, neither you nor I know if he is or not, but would it not be safer to assume he was and report him? Perhaps he just gets off to exposing himself, and in that case reporting him would also be the right thing to do. Would it not? Or would you simply write it off as an "accidental exposure " until another incident happens?

Forum List

Back