Mallard to go? Dig of Pompeii fast-food place reveals tastes

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Valeria Amoretti, a Pompeii staff anthropologist, said “initial analyses confirm how the painted images represent, at least in part, the foods and beverages effectively sold inside.” Her statement noted that duck bone fragment was found in one of the containers, along with remains from goats, pigs, fish and snails. At the bottom of a wine container were traces of ground fava beans, which in ancient times were added to wine for flavor and to lighten its color, Amoretti said.

“We know what they were eating that day,” said Osanna, referring to the day of Pompeii’s destruction in 79 A.D. The food remains indicated “what’s popular with the common folk,” Osanna told Rai state TV, noting that street-food places weren’t frequented by the Roman elite.

Fast food joints were really popular. I don't know if Pompeii had them but in Rome an entire row of fast food joints were located across the street from apartments which did not have kitchens. There were several floors of apartments and they were made of wood. I wonder if apartments will be found in the same area because this is primarily for poorer people.

I thought you were going to say Mallard Fillmore the cartoon was being removed from newspapers.

They are faster than you would have had in an apartment without a kitchen. Food would probably have been made earlier and there would not have been a wait time with the order.

I don't know what to tell you, but snails are not fast food.

Faster than a dead chicken...

fried-chicken-bucket.jpg

1609019352598.png

Almost takes ya' back to the islands sippin' on a cold one and eating a...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

Attachments

• 1609019145085.png
    1609019145085.png
    154.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 1609019145291.png
    1609019145291.png
    154.1 KB · Views: 26
This is a fascinating look at the everyday lives of people in a certain place in a certain era. I wish there was a way to compare what people did across the world at the same time. Indian treats? Chinese treats? Aztecs? Africans? Nordic folks? Southeast Asians? I love social history. Fastfood for Vikings? Pacific Islanders?

This is a fascinating look at the everyday lives of people in a certain place in a certain era. I wish there was a way to compare what people did across the world at the same time. Indian treats? Chinese treats? Aztecs? Africans? Nordic folks? Southeast Asians? I love social history. Fastfood for Vikings? Pacific Islanders?

It might take a bit of time but I bet it's doable. We could pick a year or decade and go after it around the world.

Genevieve Foster wrote about one individual but also what has happening around the world at the same time for kids.

It might take a bit of time but I bet it's doable. We could pick a year or decade and go after it around the world.

Genevieve Foster wrote about one individual but also what has happening around the world at the same time for kids.

this is fascinating. History seems to be written about only a certain set of populations, usually centered around the Roman Empire, in a certain time period, as if people were not living simultaneously all around the globe. Among other issues, I have questions about religion, given that there are societies that far pre-date the Christian era in the Middle East.

I would like to sample the goodies from around the world.

this is fascinating. History seems to be written about only a certain set of populations, usually centered around the Roman Empire, in a certain time period, as if people were not living simultaneously all around the globe. Among other issues, I have questions about religion, given that there are societies that far pre-date the Christian era in the Middle East.

I would like to sample the goodies from around the world.

There is a lot of information of other cultures at the same time as the Roman Empire including religion and goodies. The information is primarily found in books rather than the internet. Although, there are still a few websites dedicated to antiquity.

Forum List

Back