Little Known Facts About General Robert Edward Lee

Some of these I already knew, but some suprised me.
Which ones surprised you?
That he was as opposed to slavery as he was and most of his family was pro-Union.
That is a Lost Cause myth....

When two of his slaves escaped and were recaptured, Lee either beat them himself or ordered the overseer to “lay it on well.” Wesley Norris, one of the slaves who was whipped, recalled that “not satisfied with simply lacerating our naked flesh, Gen. Lee then ordered the overseer to thoroughly wash our backs with brine, which was done.”
Lincoln is based on fiction. In reality he had the gift of a great quip but he was as racist as the next guy and an utterly confused politician who misjudged the confederacy to the point of criminality. Maybe he was distracted by his personal life but he did nothing to try to prevent the bloodshed of the civil war. Grant's alcoholism was well known but downplayed by the media and General Sherman was as crazy as legend says. Sherman, Sheridan and the rest of the Union rapists and pillagers would have been hanged in a just world.

On the lighter side, my favorite Union general and perhaps the most colorful character on and off the field in the Civil War was General Dan Sickles. Sickles was a New York City politician with zero experience in the military who wangled a commission in the Union army. At Gettysburg Sickles moved his regiment without orders and was clobbered by Confederate artillery. He lost a leg and was carried off the field puffing on a cigar. After the War he had the leg mounted and on display and used to take his female fans to see it. He is the first person to successfully plead insanity in a court of law after he shot and killed the son of Francis Scott Key over a woman.

That he was as opposed to slavery as he was and most of his family was pro-Union.

When two of his slaves escaped and were recaptured, Lee either beat them himself or ordered the overseer to “lay it on well.” Wesley Norris, one of the slaves who was whipped, recalled that “not satisfied with simply lacerating our naked flesh, Gen. Lee then ordered the overseer to thoroughly wash our backs with brine, which was done.”
Lincoln is based on fiction. In reality he had the gift of a great quip but he was as racist as the next guy and an utterly confused politician who misjudged the confederacy to the point of criminality. Maybe he was distracted by his personal life but he did nothing to try to prevent the bloodshed of the civil war. Grant's alcoholism was well known but downplayed by the media and General Sherman was as crazy as legend says. Sherman, Sheridan and the rest of the Union rapists and pillagers would have been hanged in a just world.
Lincoln was way ahead of his time in opposition to slavery. The Lincoln/Douglas debates were unprecedented
Grants alcoholism was overstated. He was known to drink when he was bored or inactive. While engaging in battle, he was sober
I think Sherman understood the nature of war more than anyone. It was not a noble cause, it was about death and destruction.

Lincoln was way ahead of his time in opposition to slavery. The Lincoln/Douglas debates were unprecedented
Grants alcoholism was overstated. He was known to drink when he was bored or inactive. While engaging in battle, he was sober
I think Sherman understood the nature of war more than anyone. It was not a noble cause, it was about death and destruction.
Lincoln was above all a politician and not a very good one at that. You can be against slavery and still be a racist. Lincoln's grandiose plan was to transport Black Slaves (against their will?) back to Africa.

lol rubbish. He was impeached because he was going to implement the original plan Lincoln had in mind. We know Lincoln was going to be far more lenient than what happened during Reconstruction; he did not want to destory the southern economy, he wanted it producing and taxed. The Radicals wanted permanent Republican controlled states under military rule.

No, he got impeached because he refused to implement the will of Congress to bring the former slaves up to equality.

The fact was, Johnson lost the peace that Lincoln had worked very hard to win.

You should be Removed from America if you try to deny American history! Besides your a democrat who have urban slave plantations.. you are the racist

"History is the lie commonly agreed upon"- Voltaire.

The problem with our "history" is that we've allowed the South to rewrite it. The civil war was about "State's Rights" not slavery. It was a 'noble lost cause" and so on.

No. It was about slavery. We really need to face up to that, then MAYBE we can start to address the legacy of that history, such as systematic racism.

LOL. You just exposed yourself as a fool.

Dishonest Abe NEVER opposed slavery. In fact, he offered to ensconce it in the Constitution if the South stopped secession and paid the tariff.

You’d know this if you bothered to read his first inaugural speech.

How many times will it take before you learn?

Dishonest Abe NEVER opposed slavery. In fact, he offered to ensconce it in the Constitution if the South stopped secession and paid the tariff.

More white trash revisionist history. Lincoln was for slavery and the South was against tariffs.

More white trash revisionist history. Lincoln was for slavery and the South was against tariffs.
Could you post something meaningful for once?

No. It was about slavery. We really need to face up to that, then MAYBE we can start to address the legacy of that history, such as systematic racism.
The war started in 1861 because of states rights it wasn’t until two years later that Abraham Lincoln added the Emancipation Proclamation.. it’s you left he said don’t understand history.. and everybody knew slavery was ending. It was cheaper to pay blacks to work on your farm then it was to house them healthcare feed them and pay them

1587643368887.jpeg

View attachment 326924
Amazingly you still can’t spot a lying opportunist at your advanced age, even after I’ve schooled you for ten years.

View attachment 326924
Amazingly you still can’t spot a lying opportunist at your advanced age, even after I’ve schooled you for ten years.
You are going all goofy on us

The South seceded precisely because of Lincoln’s stated views on slavery. The election of Lincoln threw the South into a panic and they elected to secede and form a slave state rather than see what Lincoln may do about the slave issue

Was he telling the truth then? Or earlier in his career when he made abolitionist statements?

The Confederacy seemed to think he was telling the truth earlier.

View attachment 326924

The South seceded precisely because of Lincoln’s stated views on slavery. The election of Lincoln threw the South into a panic and they elected to secede and form a slave state rather than see what Lincoln may do about the slave issue
You are confusing things. Let’s not debate why the South seceded. That is an entirely different issue

The debate is did Dishonest Abe REALLY oppose slavery. Clearly he did not.

Guess what gramps, Trump isn’t the first politician to lie all the time.

Was he telling the truth then? Or earlier in his career when he made abolitionist statements?

The Confederacy seemed to think he was telling the truth earlier.
See above post. Learn it. Love it.

View attachment 326924

When a politician has such contradictory statements, yes, at least some of them are lies.

The question is, which ones?

View attachment 326924

You are confusing things. Let’s not debate why the South seceded. That is an entirely different issue

You are still going all goofy on us.

Lincoln’s position on abolition was well established. He had opposed the institution for over a decade. Lincoln was the most abolitionist of any major candidate of that era.
So much so, the southern states seceded rather than be ruled by him

View attachment 326924

When a politician has such contradictory statements, yes, at least some of them are lies.

The question is, which ones?
It’s abundantly clear as it applies to Dishonest Abe, but you have to know the history.

View attachment 326924

You are still going all goofy on us.

Lincoln’s position on abolition was well established. He had opposed the institution for over a decade. Lincoln was the most abolitionist of any major candidate of that era.
So much so, the southern states seceded rather than be ruled by him
Wrong.

Please get past your second grade government school textbook.

Lee was a great general, but made a huge mistake. He should have realized he couldn’t win the war fighting pitched battles against a much better equipped and manned opponent. Had he employed gorilla tactics on a bigger scale as Stonewall Jackson had successfully done in his Shenandoah Valley campaigns, Lee likely prolongs the war. Thus causing greater anti-war upheaval in the North and leading to support from European powers.

The European Powers were never going to support the South because most of them had outlawed slavery and saw the South as an embarrassment.
Europe was going to support the south. Thats why lincoln did the EP. To make it seem like the CV was a moral one instead of an economic one.
He duped them and still dupes americans to this day.
People are so ignorant.

Forum List

Back