Lesson Learned

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
Look at the small stuff first.

There had been a rattling noise in the rear end of my car (2001 Subaru Outback wagon) for months. I figured it might be a rear strut mount. I knew that the rear struts should be done because they were soft; so I ordered new struts and mounts, then picked up some used struts from a junk yard so that I could build my own pre-loaded struts before even touching my car. As I pulled my struts out I immediately realized that the mounts were fine.

fuuuuucK

Oh well. I already had the new struts ready to go; so, I installed them. They needed to be done soon anyway.

Then I started looking at the stabilizer bar link rods as the likely culprit. One was bad anyway; so, I bought new ones and slapped them in.

Still rattled.

WTF?

After driving it around for a couple more days - the rattling mocking me - it suddenly came to me. The brakes. Go over a rough spot in the road while applying the brakes - does it rattle? Nope.

As soon as I had the time, I popped off the two rear tires and inspected the brakes. I soon realized that the calipers were missing the anti-rattle clips that keep the pads from rattling around. $7.00 and a trip to the auto parts store, and the rattling is gone.

Like I said, I'm happy to have done the struts anyway, but still, they could have waited a little while. And I could have saved $350 for vacation cash.

Oh well.

• Banned
Lose the clips...you're better off without them!

Yeah, the one thing I don't like about them is that the pads fit tightly in them; so, the pads don't move. If they don't move then how do the pull away from the rotors? :dunno: But I'm not hearing them rubbing against the rotors. And how do I keep the pads from rattling around without them? Pads with bigger dimensions?

Last edited:

Yeah, the one thing I don't like about them is that the pads just fit in them; so, the pads don't move. If they don't move then how do the pull away from the rotor? :dunno: But then how do I keep the pads from rattling around without them? Pads with bigger dimensions?

They will just let the rotor spin until you hit the brakes---they don't really need to retract

• Banned

Yeah, the one thing I don't like about them is that the pads just fit in them; so, the pads don't move. If they don't move then how do the pull away from the rotor? :dunno: But then how do I keep the pads from rattling around without them? Pads with bigger dimensions?

They will just let the rotor spin until you hit the brakes---they don't really need to retract

Ok. I guess I never really thought about it. Thanks.

Yeah, the one thing I don't like about them is that the pads fit tightly in them; so, the pads don't move. If they don't move then how do the pull away from the rotors? :dunno: But I'm not hearing them rubbing against the rotors. And how do I keep the pads from rattling around without them? Pads with bigger dimensions?

They'll rattle...no biggie.

The pads SHOULD fit loosely...otherwise, they will tend to drag.

OK - I don't understand a damned thing you guys are talking about. All I do is put the key in the ignition, step on the clutch and go. However, I have noticed recently that my relatively new tires seem to want to jerk when I start off - particularly when I'm stopped on top of a hill. What's up with that? Hmmmmm?

• Banned

They'll rattle...no biggie.

The pads SHOULD fit loosely...otherwise, they will tend to drag.

I appreciate your input, but I think I'll stick with the clips. Te rattling was bad - really bad. They did drag a little after I installed the clips, but that stopped after they wore down a little. It's the same with new pads. They always drag a little until you wear them down.

If they drag, something is wrong! Anytime I do brakes, all the anti-rattle junk goes in the trash! (Last brake job, I had to cut the damn things off with a Dremel.)

OK - I don't understand a damned thing you guys are talking about. All I do is put the key in the ignition, step on the clutch and go. However, I have noticed recently that my relatively new tires seem to want to jerk when I start off - particularly when I'm stopped on top of a hill. What's up with that? Hmmmmm?

You'll need to elaborate Granny...

What do you mean by "jerk"?

What exactly happens, when does it happen, and what are you doing when it happens?

No noises or anything like that. It just seems like the tires just don't want to grip the road - especially if the road is wet. Usually happens on an incline from a full stop. It feels like they "skip" two or three times before they gain traction. Tires are less than a year old.

I don't pull out before looking - 90% of the roads around here are on a blind curve or near crest of a hill - or both. The entrance to my apartment complex is in the curve of a hairpin turn and top of a hill and that can be tricky since people seldom pay attention to 25mph speed limit.

No noises or anything like that. It just seems like the tires just don't want to grip the road - especially if the road is wet. Usually happens on an incline from a full stop. It feels like they "skip" two or three times before they gain traction. Tires are less than a year old.

I don't pull out before looking - 90% of the roads around here are on a blind curve or near crest of a hill - or both. The entrance to my apartment complex is in the curve of a hairpin turn and top of a hill and that can be tricky since people seldom pay attention to 25mph speed limit.

If this is a front wheel drive, we'll go from simple to complex.

What you are experiencing is called wheel hop, or tire hop.

What is happening is the power of acceleration is overcoming the traction of the drive tires.

First, do you have a heavy load in the trunk or rear hatch?

Second, check your tire pressure.

Third, have your tires checked.

That's the simple stuff.

Now the more expensive remedies.

Have the traction control sensor and system checked.

Have the drive wheel suspension bushings checked.

Have the alignment checked.

Those are my guesses, not knowing the year or make of the vehicle.

I assumed it was relatively new and midsized, like a Toyota Camry .

An older car won't have electronic traction control.

With a rear wheel drive, a heavy load in the trunk our rear compartment will improve traction, in a front wheel drive, ith will impede traction, especially on an incline.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... I have a 2004 Saturn Vue, 4 cylinder, standard shift. It's front wheel drive. Less than 100,000 miles on it - probably more like 60,000 I guess. The tires I have now are replacement tires for the ones on the car when it came off the showroom floor. The original died of dry rot long before the treads gave out - I actually could have gone at least another year on the treads. This tire issue has just come up relatively recently and doesn't happen all the time. I never have a lot of heavy stuff anywhere in my car.

Hmmm ... I have a 2004 Saturn Vue, 4 cylinder, standard shift. It's front wheel drive. Less than 100,000 miles on it - probably more like 60,000 I guess. The tires I have now are replacement tires for the ones on the car when it came off the showroom floor. The original died of dry rot long before the treads gave out - I actually could have gone at least another year on the treads. This tire issue has just come up relatively recently and doesn't happen all the time. I never have a lot of heavy stuff anywhere in my car.

What kind of tires did you have put on?

If they are decent tires, they should have great traction.

That's why I lean towards another issue other than tires.

Forum List

Back