LA teachers union holds school openings hostage

A major teachers union is claiming that the re-opening of schools in its district cannot occur without several substantial policy provisions in place, including a "moratorium" on charter schools and the defunding of local police. Yep, waiting for Pelosi to tell us it's all about the children.

LA teachers union holds school openings hostage to its call to end charter schools
/----/ Of course, they want to still be paid with benefits.

They are still teaching but it's OK to give corporations billions to keep people around on the payroll but not teachers even though they will be working either way?
/----/ The fed Gubmint doesn't fund the school system. It' usually done on the local level. Here in Nassau County, it's paid for by property taxes.

Well granted right now no one is funding the government. It's debt. All the same, the teachers are still going to be teaching either way. Are you really arguing they shouldn't be paid?

Hmmm, according to my tax bills it sure seems the government is being funded.

A major teachers union is claiming that the re-opening of schools in its district cannot occur without several substantial policy provisions in place, including a "moratorium" on charter schools and the defunding of local police. Yep, waiting for Pelosi to tell us it's all about the children.

LA teachers union holds school openings hostage to its call to end charter schools

They are still teaching but it's OK to give corporations billions to keep people around on the payroll but not teachers even though they will be working either way?
/----/ The fed Gubmint doesn't fund the school system. It' usually done on the local level. Here in Nassau County, it's paid for by property taxes.

Well granted right now no one is funding the government. It's debt. All the same, the teachers are still going to be teaching either way. Are you really arguing they shouldn't be paid?

You would think so wouldn't you?

https://www.usdebtclock.org/

The union insists it's a call to protect little kids but the statistics show that children in fact are the least vulnerable to COVID and only a microscopically small number, something like four, have died.

I do not pretend to know what the answer is here but this is NOT the argument. Well, it's not the complete argument. Maybe the kid does not die but they take it home to someone that might.

I also read the list in the link provided and I do not see what is being claimed in the article.
People who have kids young enough to be in elementary school are young enough themselves to be safe with their kids catching the covid. Just keep the grandparents away from children actively attending school

It isn't "safe" for anyone.
Sure it is. I believe only two kids under 18 have died from COVID. They have a better chance of getting hit by a meteorite.

/——/ Career politicians over spend because it gets them re elected, mandate term limits and a balanced budget and problem resolved.

Charter schools are a bad idea which should never have been started in the first place.
/—-/ Charter schools make public schools look bad. Of course you want to get rid of them.

/——/ Career politicians over spend because it gets them re elected, mandate term limits and a balanced budget and problem resolved.

They get re-elected because you vote for them. No one is stopping you from no longer voting for them. Try it, it's easy.

Charter schools are a bad idea which should never have been started in the first place.
/—-/ Charter schools make public schools look bad. Of course you want to get rid of them.

The Complete and Utter Failure Of Ohio Charter Schools

State seeks to close three charter schools in Cleveland

Massive Charter School Failure Exposes Thousands of Students | OurFuture.org by People's Action

Sure it is. I believe only two kids under 18 have died from COVID. They have a better chance of getting hit by a meteorite.

Last I saw, deaths <20 was zero, and the only deaths under age 30 had cancer.

Which certainly sucks, but when you have cancer, damn near ANYTHING (from a serious case of the flu to a bad cold) can be fatal.

They get re-elected because you vote for them. No one is stopping you from no longer voting for them. Try it, it's easy.
/—-/ If my vote had that power, then it would be two terms and out.

/—-/ If my vote had that power, then it would be two terms and out.

No it wouldn't. It's obvious by your replies.

That's not Pelosi. That is the teachers union. The Union notwithstanding, it is indeed all about the children and the teachers' health. Since Trump is lacking in principles, his assistance on school openings is no surprise.

Stupid statement.

I gave up on local elections where I used to live. EVERY RACE was an unopposed incumbent or his hand-picked successor. (I recall three, a son, a daughter, and a son in law.) Why bother, there's no point.

Stupid statement.

I gave up on local elections where I used to live. EVERY RACE was an unopposed incumbent or his hand-picked successor. (I recall three, a son, a daughter, and a son in law.) Why bother, there's no point.

We really aren't discussing local elections.

Here during the George Floyd protests they were demanding no more charter schools, reduced class sizes and no more school closings. I'm sure these causes were all near and dear to Floyd's heart.

It's almost like the union asks for the same things under whatever banner happens to be flying that day. Almost.

And always using children as their human shield to forward their agenda. "It's for the children" lol.

The union insists it's a call to protect little kids but the statistics show that children in fact are the least vulnerable to COVID and only a microscopically small number, something like four, have died.

I do not pretend to know what the answer is here but this is NOT the argument. Well, it's not the complete argument. Maybe the kid does not die but they take it home to someone that might.

I also read the list in the link provided and I do not see what is being claimed in the article.
People who have kids young enough to be in elementary school are young enough themselves to be safe with their kids catching the covid. Just keep the grandparents away from children actively attending school

It isn't "safe" for anyone.
Younger people are now being infected with the virus in greater numbers, so your theory is down the tubes.

The school boards but we were not discussing local elections. Besides if you quit voting you really don't have much of an argument.

And where are school boards elected, if not in local elections, you goddamned mental midget?!?!

Are you actually THIS FUCKING STUPID, or are you playing dumb because you realized you backed yourself into a corner?

Forum List

Back