LA teachers union holds school openings hostage

The union insists it's a call to protect little kids but the statistics show that children in fact are the least vulnerable to COVID and only a microscopically small number, something like four, have died.

I do not pretend to know what the answer is here but this is NOT the argument. Well, it's not the complete argument. Maybe the kid does not die but they take it home to someone that might.

I also read the list in the link provided and I do not see what is being claimed in the article.
People who have kids young enough to be in elementary school are young enough themselves to be safe with their kids catching the covid. Just keep the grandparents away from children actively attending school

It isn't "safe" for anyone.
Sure it is. I believe only two kids under 18 have died from COVID. They have a better chance of getting hit by a meteorite.

More Young People Are Getting COVID-19: What That Means
www.healthline.com › health-news › more-young-peop...

Jun 25, 2020 - Young people are now driving increasing infections. ... health officials' ability to test for the virus and disease in people with mildly symptomatic ...
Youngsters are now being infected in greater numbers, so this fact must be considered.

A major teachers union is claiming that the re-opening of schools in its district cannot occur without several substantial policy provisions in place, including a "moratorium" on charter schools and the defunding of local police. Yep, waiting for Pelosi to tell us it's all about the children.

LA teachers union holds school openings hostage to its call to end charter schools
While I may agree, I'm not a fan of sites that tell me the events then tell me what to think about it.

The union insists it's a call to protect little kids but the statistics show that children in fact are the least vulnerable to COVID and only a microscopically small number, something like four, have died.

I do not pretend to know what the answer is here but this is NOT the argument. Well, it's not the complete argument. Maybe the kid does not die but they take it home to someone that might.

I also read the list in the link provided and I do not see what is being claimed in the article.
People who have kids young enough to be in elementary school are young enough themselves to be safe with their kids catching the covid. Just keep the grandparents away from children actively attending school

Sure it is. I believe only two kids under 18 have died from COVID. They have a better chance of getting hit by a meteorite.
www.healthline.com › health-n

Jun 25, 2020 - Young people are now driving increasing infections. ... health officials' ability to test for the virus and disease in people with mildly symptomatic ...
Youngsters are now being infected in greater numbers, so this fact must be considered.

ews › more-young-peop...

"For example, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis told the press last weekend that COVID-19 cases in Florida are “shifting in a radical direction” toward adults in their 20s and 30s. "

They aren't talking about kids under 18, moron.

A major teachers union is claiming that the re-opening of schools in its district cannot occur without several substantial policy provisions in place, including a "moratorium" on charter schools and the defunding of local police.
I read the UTLA press release, the summary of the position paper, and the position paper (links provided in Soloman's article). The rationale for their positions is made clear with plenty of documentation...........not so the reflexive idiocy of Trumpleton's running thru this thread.
Defund Police: Police violence is a leading cause of death and trauma for Black people, and is a serious public health and moral issue.65 We must shift the astronomical amount of money devoted to policing, to education and other essential needs such as housing and public health.
Charter Moratorium: Privately operated, publicly funded charter schools drain resources from district schools — and many have “double-dipped” during this crisis by taking federal small business bailout loans even though state funding did not decline this school year. 70 In addition, colocation adds students to campuses when we need to reduce the number of students to allow for physical distancing.

Both are defensible positions based on the empirical evidence. So,..........go fuck yourself and the inveterate liar John Soloman as well.

A major teachers union is claiming that the re-opening of schools in its district cannot occur without several substantial policy provisions in place, including a "moratorium" on charter schools and the defunding of local police. Yep, waiting for Pelosi to tell us it's all about the children.

LA teachers union holds school openings hostage to its call to end charter schools
/----/ Of course, they want to still be paid with benefits.

They are still teaching but it's OK to give corporations billions to keep people around on the payroll but not teachers even though they will be working either way?
/----/ The fed Gubmint doesn't fund the school system. It' usually done on the local level. Here in Nassau County, it's paid for by property taxes.

Well granted right now no one is funding the government. It's debt. All the same, the teachers are still going to be teaching either way. Are you really arguing they shouldn't be paid?

Hmmm, according to my tax bills it sure seems the government is being funded.

You would think so wouldn't you?

https://www.usdebtclock.org/
/——/ Career politicians over spend because it gets them re elected, mandate term limits and a balanced budget and problem resolved.

They get re-elected because you vote for them. No one is stopping you from no longer voting for them. Try it, it's easy.
The problem is that I can't stop you from voting for them.

Last edited:
How the right wing spin machines work

go to that link and it makes all kinds of claims about this organization wanting to defund the police , etc, etc and all the right wing talking points about demos are bad because they want this and that

United Teachers Los Angeles, a 35,000-strong union in the Los Angeles Unified School District, made those demands in a policy paper it released this week according to this article. Well looking for a source of the claims it has a link to the union and what they really want.

the article uses a iink that goes to the real story

it says none of the things this "Just News" claim. Its the writers opinion about what the union wants.

It talks about the UTLA expressing concerns about the COVID 19 issue and reopening. They want to see the curve flatten on COVID 19. They priority is not the economy but children safety as it should be for a teacher's union or whatever they are. The research paper they put out explains just that. Nothing more

Yet someone picks up the story and adds to it with all the right wing talking points. All that is needed know is if trump reads the article and he will start repeating it.

UTLA is also engaging all members in a poll on Friday, July 10, to find out where they stand on re-opening campuses. UTLA will notify members and the media the results of the poll Friday night.

They are only making a stand that because of the COVID 19 cases on the rise, they believe it is prudent to take measures that keep the students safe. IE distance learning and even keeping the schools close

There is no defunding the police, attack on other schools

Their issue is if the the curve has not been flatten, there is a risk of more COVID 19 cases. So they would like to see stuff like more distant learning. Yes they do criticize Trump a lot.

now I am just taking this from the same article used and the reference to another web-page belong to the union.

Whenever an OP is stated as it is here, it automatically goes into my disqualified list.

it says none of the things this "Just News" claim. Its the writers opinion about what the union wants.
Not exactly. But people need to read the entire position paper for context.

Defund Police: Police violence is a leading cause of death and trauma for Black people, and is a serious public health and moral issue.65 We must shift the astronomical amount of money devoted to policing, to education and other essential needs such as housing and public health.
Charter Moratorium: Privately operated, publicly funded charter schools drain resources from district schools — and many have “double-dipped” during this crisis by taking federal small business bailout loans even though state funding did not decline this school year. 70 In addition, colocation adds students to campuses when we need to reduce the number of students to allow for physical distancing.

Both are defensible positions based on the empirical evidence. So,..........go fuck yourself and the inveterate liar John Soloman as well.

https://www.utla.net/sites/default/files/samestormdiffboats_final.pdf

So your using this article to bring up another issue.

Delusional = Defund the police

Watch out John Soloman may be hiding in your closet

Charter schools are a bad idea which should never have been started in the first place.
Yes, many people who believe children should be indoctrinated by leftists believe that.

We have a close elementary school teacher friend. I can't stand her Facebook feed's intrusion onto ours. All she's been doing since April is sitting by her pool, photographing her feet and bitching about what an inconvenience it is to teach her students online and her fear of returning to an actual building to teach them this fall. Then I remember a high school teacher of mine, a man who positively influenced the rest of my life. He was a Green Beret during the Vietnam War years. I often compare these two teachers in my mind and come out wondering what the fuck happened to this world of ours.

Dim talking points. It's horseshit, of course.

Charter schools are a bad idea which should never have been started in the first place.
Yes, many people who believe children should be indoctrinated by leftists believe that.

This exactly. Thank you.

A major teachers union is claiming that the re-opening of schools in its district cannot occur without several substantial policy provisions in place, including a "moratorium" on charter schools and the defunding of local police.
I read the UTLA press release, the summary of the position paper, and the position paper (links provided in Soloman's article). The rationale for their positions is made clear with plenty of documentation...........not so the reflexive idiocy of Trumpleton's running thru this thread.

Oh, well, gosh, if the teachers' union -- which stands to make a lot of money off these proposals -- says so, it must be true.

Here is a link to the actual article - its bias and misdirection are astounding.

Several points:
1. Government employees should not have or need unions - but influencing politics is a higher priority than benefitting kids. If the government is as benevolent as some believe and the arbitrator of all things pertaining to our lives why in the world would its workers need protection.
2. Charter schools and de-funding police have nothing to do with providing a quality education. If a parent wants to send their child to a charter school that should be their choice. Their child, their choice.
3. Federal funding is only a small percentage of a school district's budget. If schools are not going to be open full time with a full roster then expenditures such as transportation, food service, utilities and maintenance will be reduced - so should funding. Now if teachers are saying they want more pay for doing less work - well, who wouldn't?
4. President Trump can strongly suggest schools fully open - he cannot make it so. I'm continually amazed by how much power the Left thinks a president has.

Bripat,

You seriously will believe anything as long as as it suits your agenda...

First you numbers are wrong...

Children carry the virus and a lot of them don't under stand social distancing.

Then what about the 3.7 million Teachers in the US and there families... The other staff in schools...

The US have shown one thing in this Trump and his supporters have been dead wrong... Nearly every country has handled this better than the US. So when Trump says open schools, he should be totally ignored, US is somewhere between pity and embarrassment. No about the virus but because people like you (and a substantial minority of Americans) are can't see reason any more.

Facts are US under Trump were warned and screwed up....

www.healthline.com › health-n

ews › more-young-peop...

"For example, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis told the press last weekend that COVID-19 cases in Florida are “shifting in a radical direction” toward adults in their 20s and 30s. "

They aren't talking about kids under 18, moron.
We will see if the schools are opened too soon, Yes? Youngsters are not exposed since they are mostly kept away from outdoor activities and intermixing. When that changes.........
Do you wear a mask or you a true follower and do what the amateur Trump does?

Forum List

Back