Joe B's take on the Midterms

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Some ruminations on the midterms.

The Red Wave turned into a pink mist. Not since 2002 has an out of power party done so poorly in a midterm. The Republicans have lost governorships, state legislatures, and as it stands now, may only gain a handful of seats in the House. This despite gerrymandering, voter suppression attempts and massive amounts of money spent, this was a poor performance for the GOP despite all the polls.

1) Trump remains a motivator - people just do not like Donald Trump! They never liked him. If the 2022 midterms were a referendum on Trump, this would be the FOURTH time the voters rejected him. (As he lost the popular votes in 2016 and 2020, lost control of the House in 2018, and was the root cause of an underwhelming performance for the GOP this year. Yet the GOP just can't quit the guy. I suspect there will be a very ugly civil war in 2024 as the GOP establishment rallies around DeSantis and the hard core cultist rally around Trump. :popcorn:

2) Fear and Revenge aren't a platform - You guys scared the straights. Unlike past GOP waves like the Contract with America and the Tea Party, which had very specific goals, all the GOP had this year was scaring you and vowing revenge on your enemies. "Oh, noes, BLM is going to get you." Um, BLM largely went home a year ago. "Oh, noes, the Trannies are coming for your children". Not really. "America is this horrid hellscape!" Um, no, not really. Sure, inflation is bad, but the Republicans don't actually have a plan to combat it other than the usual "Let's cut taxes for rich people" which never really helps.

3) SCOTUS really screwed you guys. - Without a doubt, reaction to Dobbs was a factor. Young people, who would be the most seriously effected by compulsory parenthood, came out in droves to protest it, and it showed. It's going to be worse for you in 2024 when some of the horror stories out of Jesusland about young women being seriously maimed when they can't get prompt attention for entoptic pregnancies start emerging.

4) Democrats, can we stop trying to make Stacey Adams a thing? - Seriously, this is the second time this woman has lost, badly, but the Democrats keep trying to promote her. I for the life of me can't figure out why they make her a national spokesperson and even shoehorned her into an episode of Star Trek: Discovery. (I could make the snarky comment that she's not an actor, but you can say the same for most of the cast of that show.) Stop trying to make her a thing.

5) After a nuclear War, all that's going to be left are the Cockroaches and Ron Johnson - How does this guy keep surviving?

6) The big winners - Newsom and Pritzker. - Both won re-election handily... and are probably the leading contenders for the Democratic nomination should Joe Biden decide he doesn't want to be the country's first octogenarian president. (Actually, he will be when he turns 80 a couple of weeks, but you get my point. This is no country for old men!)

7) Crappy celebrity candidates - Can we say we've had enough of them? Dr. Oz and Hershell Walker have no business being in the Senate. Why did you guys nominate them.

Joe as you well know, there is little difference between the two crime families. They both nominate shitty candidates and spend enormous sums of money given them by the oligarchy who controls them.

However I do think you’re right about Trump and abortion. Both hurt the Rs but this means little, since dumb Joe and the D Party aren’t much different from Don and the R Party.

8) Dykey Nancy out as speaker, UnderwearGate up next

9) Dems cheated in cheat states big time

10) fetterman now poster child of "what election fraud does to America"

8a) The problem is, you guys are stuck with McCarthy as leader... which will make Nancy look good.
9a) yes, we know that's all you have. People voting is cheating. Got it.
10a) Fetterman will be fine, and Trump is railing about how he was tricked into backing Dr. Oz.

11) Deactivate EMH program, B'Elanna, it's malfunctioning again! We told it not to download that QAnon program. (Little Star Trek humor)

I got to the terminal TDS and stopped reading. Did you have a point?
The point is, for the large part, Donald John Trump cost the Republican party their "red wave" on Tuesday. He is the reason Republicans have egg all over their face today.
And the worst part about it is...he's not going to go away. Not quietly at least.

8a) The problem is, you guys are stuck with McCarthy as leader... which will make Nancy look good.
9a) yes, we know that's all you have. People voting is cheating. Got it.
10a) Fetterman will be fine, and Trump is railing about how he was tricked into backing Dr. Oz.

11) Deactivate EMH program, B'Elanna, it's malfunctioning again! We told it not to download that QAnon program. (Little Star Trek humor)

Once again it is the left on USMB citing Q-anon, the true

HOMOS in MAGAdrag

The Red Wave turned into a pink mist. Not since 2002 has an out of power party done so poorly in a midterm. The Republicans have lost governorships, state legislatures, and as it stands now, may only gain a handful of seats in the House. This despite gerrymandering, voter suppression attempts and massive amounts of money spent, this was a poor performance for the GOP despite all the polls.

1) Trump remains a motivator - people just do not like Donald Trump! They never liked him. If the 2022 midterms were a referendum on Trump, this would be the FOURTH time the voters rejected him. (As he lost the popular votes in 2016 and 2020, lost control of the House in 2018, and was the root cause of an underwhelming performance for the GOP this year. Yet the GOP just can't quit the guy. I suspect there will be a very ugly civil war in 2024 as the GOP establishment rallies around DeSantis and the hard core cultist rally around Trump.

2) Fear and Revenge aren't a platform - You guys scared the straights. Unlike past GOP waves like the Contract with America and the Tea Party, which had very specific goals, all the GOP had this year was scaring you and vowing revenge on your enemies. "Oh, noes, BLM is going to get you." Um, BLM largely went home a year ago. "Oh, noes, the Trannies are coming for your children". Not really. "America is this horrid hellscape!" Um, no, not really. Sure, inflation is bad, but the Republicans don't actually have a plan to combat it other than the usual "Let's cut taxes for rich people" which never really helps.

3) SCOTUS really screwed you guys. - Without a doubt, reaction to Dobbs was a factor. Young people, who would be the most seriously effected by compulsory parenthood, came out in droves to protest it, and it showed. It's going to be worse for you in 2024 when some of the horror stories out of Jesusland about young women being seriously maimed when they can't get prompt attention for entoptic pregnancies start emerging.

4) Democrats, can we stop trying to make Stacey Adams a thing? - Seriously, this is the second time this woman has lost, badly, but the Democrats keep trying to promote her. I for the life of me can't figure out why they make her a national spokesperson and even shoehorned her into an episode of Star Trek: Discovery. (I could make the snarky comment that she's not an actor, but you can say the same for most of the cast of that show.) Stop trying to make her a thing.

5) The big winners - Newsom and Pritzker. - Both won re-election handily... and are probably the leading contenders for the Democratic nomination should Joe Biden decide he doesn't want to be the country's first octogenarian president. (Actually, he will be when he turns 80 a couple of weeks, but you get my point. This is no country for old men!)

6) Crappy celebrity candidates - Can we say we've had enough of them? Dr. Oz and Hershel Walker have no business being in the Senate. Why did you guys nominate them.
1. What Republican governorships were lost? AZ is still in-play, Sununu won easily in NH. CA & IL are blue, so no surprise there that Newsom and Pritzker won. They are NOT presidential timber, but neither was Biden.

2. The GOP won the House, period. Young motivated voters came out in droves to tip the elections to the dems, congrats on their voting for their priorities. But still, the GOP took the House so Biden's policies are done.

3. Agree Trump lost his mojo. Extremism is not going to win future elections. However, Trump's policies are still popular with middle-America. But the messenger needs to be someone more likable, like Desantis or Nikki Haley. You may be right that the 2024 GOP primaries will be a slug-fest.

4. The GOP plan to reduce inflation was to go back to energy independence. See attached new 10-point contract. The MSM's biased reporting on "the end of democracy", "the end of the world", "a nationwide abortion ban", and other lies if Republicans win was a motivating factor for many low-information voters.

5. Agreed, the USSC Dobbs decision hurt Republicans, but that was a major policy goal for Republicans, call it a Pyrrhic Victory. I'm a pro-choice Republican, so I'm used to seeing Repubs shoot themselves in the feet. Lets hope that in 2024 the abortion issue is not a factor.

6. Agreed that we need better candidates on both sides. Voters in the primaries need more guidance from the RNC/DNC as to the preferred candidates.

7. Have to mention FL "red wave" and that Hispanics are Republican! Miami-Dade went RED!!!

Last edited:
The point is, for the large part, Donald John Trump cost the Republican party their "red wave" on Tuesday. He is the reason Republicans have egg all over their face today.
And the worst part about it is...he's not going to go away. Not quietly at least.
It wasn't Trump as much as the abortion issue and $10,000 student loan forgiveness. Young voters came out in droves to blunt the red wave. Congrats to them. Better to vote than to riot.

Last edited:

1) Trump remains a motivator - people just do not like Donald Trump! They never liked him. If the 2022 midterms were a referendum on Trump, this would be the FOURTH time the voters rejected him. (As he lost the popular votes in 2016 and 2020, lost control of the House in 2018, and was the root cause of an underwhelming performance for the GOP this year. Yet the GOP just can't quit the guy. I suspect there will be a very ugly civil war in 2024 as the GOP establishment rallies around DeSantis and the hard core cultist rally around Trump. :popcorn:

5) After a nuclear War, all that's going to be left are the Cockroaches and Ron Johnson - How does this guy keep surviving?

6) The big winners - Newsom and Pritzker. - Both won re-election handily... and are probably the leading contenders for the Democratic nomination should Joe Biden decide he doesn't want to be the country's first octogenarian president. (Actually, he will be when he turns 80 a couple of weeks, but you get my point. This is no country for old men!)

7) Crappy celebrity candidates - Can we say we've had enough of them? Dr. Oz and Hershell Walker have no business being in the Senate. Why did you guys nominate them.
But now we can promote you killing yourselves and others in blue areas. Kill yourselves. You won.

It wasn't Trump as much as the abortion and $10,000 student loan forgiveness. Young voters came out in droves to blunt the red wave. Congrats to them. Better to vote than to riot.
It was about Trump and the shitty candidates he supported and helped move forward. It was a straight up rejection of MAGA. Yes, young people came out to vote. But they didn't put these candidates forward.

Nonsense, this abomination of an 'election' has it's roots deep in the same cesspit as 2020.

1. What Republican governorships were lost? AZ is still in-play, Sununu won easily in NH. CA & IL are blue, so no surprise there that Newsom and Pritzker won. They are NOT presidential timber, but neither was Biden.

Republicans lost MD and MA. Democrats will probably lose NV. They retained OR, despite a third party splitting the vote. AZ looks like a probable Democratic pickup. Most of the uncounted votes are in Maricopa and Pima counties, which are the ones that swung the state to Biden in 2020.

2. The GOP won the House, period. Young motivated voters came out in droves to tip the elections to the dems, congrats on their voting for their priorities. But still, the GOP took the House so Biden's policies are done.
Not really. You guys said the same things about Clinton and Obama, and frankly, they ran circles around Newt and Boehner and Ryan. McCarthy is no Newt. He doesn't even have the gavel yet and Republicans are whining about his leadership.

I would argue that losing the house actually HELPS Biden. It certainly helped Clinton and Obama. When Americans realize that Biden is the only thing standing between them and the crazy, he'll be very popular.

3. Agree Trump lost his mojo. Extremism is not going to win future elections. However, Trump's policies are still popular with middle-America. But the messenger needs to be someone more likable, like Desantis or Nikki Haley. You may be right that the 2024 GOP primaries will be a slug-fest.

Trump never had any mojo. He fell ass-backwards into the presidency, was never up to the job, and has cost his party ever since. But the reason why Trump is so popular is that he's best at saying the quiet part out loud, angry white people who can't articulate their misdirected rage in a declining empire.

4. The GOP plan to reduce inflation was to go back to energy independence. See attached new 10-point contract. The MSM's biased reporting on "the end of democracy", "the end of the world", "a nationwide abortion ban", and other lies if Republicans win was a motivating factor for many low-information voters.

Oil is an international commodity. Despoiling our soil to get more of it won't effect costs. All Opec has to do is cut production further to offset anything we produce at inflated prices.

5. Agreed, the USSC Dobbs decision hurt Republicans, but that was a major policy goal for Republicans, call it a Pyrrhic Victory. I'm a pro-choice Republican, so I'm used to seeing Repubs shoot themselves in the feet. Lets hope that in 2024 the abortion issue is not a factor.

How can it NOT be? Next year, abortion laws in red states will start to go into effect, and people will realize how awful these laws are. You'll get the sob stories of raped teenagers and women maimed by ectopic pregnancies. The smart thing would be for those GOP legislatures to go back, change the laws, and pretend this didn't happen. They won't.

6. Agreed that we need better candidates on both sides. Voters in the primaries need more guidance from the RNC/DNC as to the preferred candidates.
Meh, I'm fine with nearly everyone the Democrats ran this year. You guys ran brain-damaged football players and snake oil salesmen and crazy ex-generals and wondered why you lost.

7. Have to mention FL "red wave" and that Hispanics are Republican! Miami-Dade went RED.
Yes, the Cuban Refuse we never should have let into the country swung it... so what?

Did you need someone to explain the big words to you?

Um, okay... why?
Not you certainly. I've come to accept all you haters are actually closeted MAGA fanbois lashing out because you're too ashamed to admit it. Nobody else could spend so much time and effort on Trump if they didn't have a thing for him.

Forum List

Back