Jesus Is Better Than Santa

Meaningless drivel since no one knows the actual birth of Christ, December 25th is as good a date as any. Since it is about celebrating his birth, not the specific day, who cares what pagan nonsense was usurped.
Thousands of years ago the Norse burned the Yule log to celebrate the return of the Sun.

Santa was born from the tradition of Saint Nicholas who was a follower of Jesus. If it were not for Christ, we would not have Santa, we would not have Christmas.

Some say St. Nicholas existed only in legend, without any reliable historical record. Legends usually do grow out of real, actual events, though they may be embellished to make more interesting stories. Many of the St. Nicholas stories seem to be truth interwoven with imagination. However, the following facts of the life of St. Nicholas could contain some part of historical truth. They provide a clear sense of his personal characteristics which are further elaborated in other narratives.

• Nicholas’ birth in Patara

Though the exact date is not known, it is believed to have occurred between AD 260 and 280. The place, Patara, can be historically grounded.
  • Dowries for the poor girls​

This story, distinct to Nicholas, can be regarded as historical in its essence. There are three very ancient accounts which only differ in regard to the number of maidens and other detail. This event reveals important aspects of St. Nicholas’s personality, namely, his charitable nature and humility. This story is not found in hagiographic accounts of other saints’ lives.
  • Election as Bishop of Myra, though not yet a priest​

Unusual though it was for a non-ordained person to be nominated to the position of bishop, two sources corroborate the story. Because it is so unusual, (there are only two other such known cases—Saint Ambrose and Saint Severus), it adds credence to the story as it is not something that would be made up. *
  • Participation in the Council of Nicaea

Although Bishop Nicholas does not appear on all lists of attenders, his name appears on the oldest Greek list and on five other lists. The stories related to Nicholas at the Council are consistent with his energetic character as revealed in other accounts.
  • Persuading Bishop Theognis​

Bishop Theognis of Nicaea was one of the supporters of Arius, whose position on the nature of the Trinity was discredited by the Council of Nicaea. However, Nicholas has been credited with working for the unity of the church and swaying Theognis to sign the agreement.
  • Saving three condemned innocents​

This story is the oldest and most genuine recorded episode from the life of St. Nicholas. Historical documentation confirms the many references to place names and people. Some versions expand the account to include the story of the three generals.
  • Intervention in favor of the unjustly jailed​

The outstanding figures in this solidly structured story are well known in other contemporary accounts, where they are portrayed in similar ways.
  • Destruction of the Temple of Artemis

This account reveals knowledge of detail concerning the temple which would have been unknown to a writer several centuries later had it not been based on an account coming out of the people and traditions of that city.
  • Mariners saved during a tempest​

The episode is important to explain the origin of his wide-spread patronage to sailors and other sea voyagers, though it may be better suited to Nicholas of Sion.
  • Travel to Constantinople to have taxes reduced​

This account could be Nicholas of Myra, if some details are regarded as additions by the writer as was often the custom in writing hagiographic accounts.
The earliest reference to St. Nicholas of Myra comes from the late 700s-about 250 years after his death. The life of St. Nicholas of Sion (a 6th century abbot of a mountain monastery near Myra) describes a visit “going down to the metropolis of Myra, [Nicholas of Sion] went off to the martyrium of the glorious Saint Nicholas.” This reliable witness, written by a close associate of Nicholas of Sion shortly after his death, roots Nicholas of Myra in history and reveals his status as a revered saint.

The ancient sources cited to substantiate this information are Michael the Archimandrite, Sinaitic and Ethiopian manuscripts, Gratianus’ Decretum, Theodore the Lector, Andrew of Crete, Eustratios of Constantinople, AD 583; Passionarium Romanum, 650 AD; and Praxis de tributo.

Saint Nicholas: Early Evidence
A look at early sources, including a summary of Michael the Archimandrite’s Life, Works, and Miracles of our Holy Father Nicholas, Archbishop of Myra in Lycia

Digging back to the Real St. Nicholas
An interview with Adam English, author of The Saint who would be Santa Claus

More information in other sections​

Classic and Primary Source Material
The oldest surviving 5th century account, Stratelatis, Andrew of Crete’s 8th century Encomium, Michael the Archimandrite’s 9th century life of Nicholas, and more

The Real Face of St. Nicholas
Modern forensic reconstruction from 2004 compared with traditional iconographic images
* Nicholas, who was raised by his uncle, an abbot, probably became a monk before his pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Selected as a Brother to become the Bishop of Myra, he would have been ordained a deacon, then priest in quick succession before ordination as a bishop. He would not have served as a deacon or priest.

SOURCES:
  • Cioffari, P. Gerardo, O.P., “The Truth About Saint Nicholas: The Most Ancient Texts in the Light of Recent Historical Criticism,” Bollettino di San Nicola, November-December 1997
  • Cioffari, P. Gerardo, O.P., Saint Nicholas: His Life, the Translation of his Relics and his Basilica in Bari, translated by Philip L. Barnes, Centro Studi Nicolaiani, Bari, Italy, 1994
  • seal-sm.jpg
    Seal, Jeremy, Nicholas: The Epic Journey from Saint to Santa Claus Bloomsbury, New York & London, 2005
    Nicholas’ transformation into Santa told through careful historical detail, travelogue, and personal reflection; extensive material on Nicholas as Saint, as well as Santa. Purchase from amazon.com, amazon.ca, or amazon.uk

Even though this version of the first song doesn't have words in it, it's still a Jesus related song and it reminds me how JohnDB and I went to see (separately) TSO live in concert a couple of years back. :)

The Carol of the Bells in the TSO concert is focused on one thing...
It's also called Sarajevo for a reason...back when Sarajevo was destroyed by war was when this song was compiled...

And in today's climate of pandemic and political activism at the expense of everyone and everything else...

That song still rings true... because it stands for the most important thing...

HOPE!

And I worship the God of HOPE.

Of course.
The "X" in old Roman Empire latin stood for Christ...the X & the "P" placed on top of each other stood for Pneumatos Christos which means "in the spirit of Christ" and is what Constantine put on his soldiers shields to win his battle which ultimately won him the war when the Christians joined him in battle.

Also it's St. Andrews cross as he was crucified on an X instead of a traditional cross.

Nope, its Jesus. satan gives us individuality.
Thats cooler than jesus too.
BTW, Jesus wasnt born on Christmas. December 25th is a pagan holiday Christians ripped off.

I didn't know the exact day my dog was born, so I selected a date of April 15th. HE DIDN'T CARE.

YES -- it took centuries for SOMEONE to decide when to celebrate Christmas. Didn't make Satan none too happy bro'...

As I much as I like Santa Claus, I love Jesus more,.. so I figured that we could have a Christmas thread specifically geared towards Jesus since He is the true meaning of Christmas and I'm still pretty ticked off at Netflix by one of their movies that tried to change that. That's right, they didn't just not mention Jesus, they changed the whole entire meaning of the holiday as if He didn't even exist at all. Sad woke people trying to ruin Christmas really enrages me. So, here's a list of why Christ is SO much better than Santa.

1. Santa comes only once a year. Jesus comes whenever you need Him.
2. You need to write a letter to Santa to tell him what you want. Jesus knows whatever you need even before you ask Him.
3. Santa needs to check his list to know your name. Jesus knows your name even before you're born.
4. Santa will let you sit on his lap while Jesus will hold you in your arms.
5. Santa has elves and eight reindeer. (Nine if you count Rudolph) Jesus has a whole entire army of angels.
6. Santa brings you presents once a year. Jesus is the gift that keeps on giving once a year.
7. Santa comes down your chimney while Jesus will come into your heart.
8. Santa breaks into your house while Jesus asks to be invited.
9. Santa loves milk and cookies while Jesus loves YOU.
10. Santa only brings you presents if you're good, while Jesus will bless you even if you sin.

So, you can plainly see that we need to keep the Christ in Christmas because although Jesus was born on Christmas, we're the ones who wound up getting the gift. :)

View attachment 570128

So, Jesus knows what you need, and doesn't give it to you. Great guy.

I'm gonna call for a judge's ruling on this one ... it's a cane, shaped like a shepherd's cane ... peppermint sticks were first introduced in 1837 (although sugar sticks are mentioned back in the 17th Century) and were white and red striped. Artificial food colorings in many colors didn't become a thing until the 20th Century so choice of color was pretty limited.

candy_cane_shank-300x218.jpg

I'm gonna call for a judge's ruling on this one ... it's a cane, shaped like a shepherd's cane ... peppermint sticks were first introduced in 1837 (although sugar sticks are mentioned back in the 17th Century) and were white and red striped. Artificial food colorings in many colors didn't become a thing until the 20th Century so choice of color was pretty limited.

View attachment 570357
The wiki rules you are both partially correct.

Forum List

Back