Jack Smith Seeks Supreme Court To Review To Keep Trump Criminal Case Moving Toward March Trial.

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2022
My Happyi Place
Special Counsel Jack Smith filed motions on Monday with the U.S. Supreme Court and a Washington, D.C., federal appeals court aimed at ensuring Donald Trump's criminal trial on charges tied to 2020 election interference can stay on track for March of 2024.

The twin filings from the special counsel's office are in response to an appeal the former president's lawyers filed last week that asked for the entire criminal case to be put on hold until the D.C.-based U.S. Court of Appeals reaches a decision on whether Trump can even be charged for actions he took within the "outer perimeter" of his official duties as president.

Rather than wait for the D.C. Circuit to give its opinion on the matter, Smith's office jumped ahead with its petition for immediate review by the nation's highest court.

"This case presents a fundamental question at the heart of our democracy: whether a former President is absolutely immune from federal prosecution for crimes committed while in office or is constitutionally protected from federal prosecution when he has been impeached but not convicted before the criminal proceedings begin," Smith's office wrote in its 14-page petition for a writ of certiorari.

IMH (Canadian) O, the Scotus is corrupt but not quite as corrupt as Trump needs it to be. They obviously understand that America is going to try to return to normal after Trump is dead.

Special Counsel Jack Smith filed motions on Monday with the U.S. Supreme Court and a Washington, D.C., federal appeals court aimed at ensuring Donald Trump's criminal trial on charges tied to 2020 election interference can stay on track for March of 2024.

The twin filings from the special counsel's office are in response to an appeal the former president's lawyers filed last week that asked for the entire criminal case to be put on hold until the D.C.-based U.S. Court of Appeals reaches a decision on whether Trump can even be charged for actions he took within the "outer perimeter" of his official duties as president.

Rather than wait for the D.C. Circuit to give its opinion on the matter, Smith's office jumped ahead with its petition for immediate review by the nation's highest court.

"This case presents a fundamental question at the heart of our democracy: whether a former President is absolutely immune from federal prosecution for crimes committed while in office or is constitutionally protected from federal prosecution when he has been impeached but not convicted before the criminal proceedings begin," Smith's office wrote in its 14-page petition for a writ of certiorari.
It’s an effort (as I noted in my own thread a while ago) to seek an advisory opinion.

Our courts don’t offer advisory opinions.

I suspect that this is just a cheap smoke screen effort by the Special Persecutor.

Conservatives once believed in limited government and the rule of law.

This will be a test to see how corrupt and partisan this conservative Court truly is.
We still believe in limited government. We still believe in the rule of law.

It’s all you left wing fubars who don’t.

And this motion by the Special Persecutor won’t lead to a test of anything. It is bound to be rejected, with no ruling either way.

Our courts don’t render advisory opinions.

We still believe in limited government. We still believe in the rule of law.

It’s all you left wing fubars who don’t.

And this motion by the Special Persecutor won’t lead to a test of anything. It is bound to be rejected, with no ruling either way.

Our courts don’t render advisory opinions.
You will be wrong, but at least you're back on topic!

Nonsense. Your claim is false. There is no evidence.

Federal judges believed there is. Grand juries believe it too. You have not seen what they have, have you? Neither have I, but I go with what we do factually know .. Trump is out on bail and is facing multiple trials.

Trump's claims of absolute immunity are defense tactics being used to try and stall outcomes, so he can pardon himself -- and that will go to courts too, if it comes about.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back