Zone1 It's almost comical when liberals criticize "the God of the Bible"

Would Jesus turn someone into a pillar of salt or slaughter babies?
Were people slaughtering babies in his time? Were entire cities of people attacking sojourners and unwelcoming to those in need? What say you: Would a kindly God tell his people to let another tribe slaughter their children and praise them for doing so? No consequences, ever.

Were people slaughtering babies in his time? Were entire cities of people attacking sojourners and unwelcoming to those in need? What say you: Would a kindly God tell his people to let another tribe slaughter their children and praise them for doing so? No consequences, ever.

God killed the first born of Egypt because they would not free their Jewish slaves.

Then, when he gave the 10 Commandments to Moses, he didn’t even mention slavery as a sin

God killed the first born of Egypt because they would not free their Jewish slaves.

Then, when he gave the 10 Commandments to Moses, he didn’t even mention slavery as a sin
That is all that is to be learned from the stories?

I have nothing to do with "saving" anyone. Further, I see no contradiction. This is God's creation, and I have only the vaguest idea of how it all came together. I was always fascinated by Pangea and Continental Drift, and the possibility that dinosaurs and birds may be more closely related than we think. The idea of feathers on dinosaurs is awesome--although I doubt if I'll ever know whether or not they actually had feathers.
Good answer for those who can be satisfied living with the contradictions between creation and Darwinian evolution.

Are you interested in learning if some dinosaurs had feathers?

The thing is Meriweather, any Christian who takes part in these discussions must be interested.

Seriously, this has not been an issue, at least not here in the West. "Young Creation" is a Protestant view that I guess gets people going in the South. Catholics--at least all the ones here--really don't care if fellow Catholics follow Evolution or instant creation, as long as they see God's hand in creation--which we all do.
Some Catholics reject creation and so according to what you've said, those Catholics can't see your god's hand in that which is rejected by them.

You could have said that they accept creation with certain conditions. Perhaps out of necessity they believe the garden of Eden stories to be not literally true?

Fwiw to you, I've accepted both the literal interpretation of the bible as well as the non-literal. That is, I've accepted that both beliefs are considered factual by some Christians. I can't personally reconcile the literal interpretations of the bibles.

Fwiw to you, I've accepted both the literal interpretation of the bible as well as the non-literal. That is, I've accepted that both beliefs are considered factual by some Christians. I can't personally reconcile the literal interpretations of the bibles.
Each Biblical account, no matter if one takes it literally or not, has a lesson to teach, a story to tell. Discussing the lessons are fruitful. Arguing over whether creation took place in a literal six days produces nothing of value. It teaches nothing about how to live one's life or ways to love and care for others.

I'm not. It has nothing to do with how anyone lives their faith. Why does it fascinate you?
You have to be interested or you wouldn't be taking part in the discussion. That has to be true for everyone taking part, both Christian and atheist.

And regardless of the insults and the spamming, everybody is learning something.

As an atheist, I've learned that the Christians aren't content to just live with their faith and not debate the issues raised.

To me this is especially so with the Catholics, now that their church is under fire from a large American faction that has found a few bones to pick with the Vatican.

My best guess on the nature of those bones is the CC's acceptance of Darwinian evolution.

So far they won't say much at all about the specific complaints they have.

That is all that is to be learned from the stories?
ummm…..Yes

Killing Babies, Puppies and Kittens is some serious stuff
In an Atheists world, that is some pretty nasty crap

But Christians excuse it

Yes. God instructed Israel not to mingle with the heathen. The reason is to keep sin out. Even the New Testament instructs believers not to marry unbelievers. It ain't gonna work.

Each Biblical account, no matter if one takes it literally or not, has a lesson to teach, a story to tell. Discussing the lessons are fruitful. Arguing over whether creation took place in a literal six days produces nothing of value. It teaches nothing about how to live one's life or ways to love and care for others.
I replied with #89 before reading this one.
You're declaring that arguing or debating the 6 days creation story produces nothing. I have the same right to declare that it's essential because it forms the basis on which Christianity stands.

You've maintained that no Christian can completely reject creation, on account of god's hand playing a part.

Can you accept that perhaps your god purposely caused the contradiction for some purpose? If so then you could stop trying to sweep it under the carpet.

You have to be interested
The only part that interested me is that you thought that young creation versus evolution is something that divides Catholics. It's not. Each Catholic is welcome to believe whatever makes the best sense to them.

Yes. God instructed Israel not to mingle with the heathen. The reason is to keep sin out. Even the New Testament instructs believers not to marry unbelievers. It ain't gonna work.
Yet you're somehow driven to mingle with the heathens here on this discussion board.

You're here to learn. You could be reading your bibles to learn but that isn't fulfilling for you today at least.

You're declaring that arguing or debating the 6 days creation story produces nothing. I have the same right to declare that it's essential because it forms the basis on which Christianity stands.

You've maintained that no Christian can completely reject creation, on account of god's hand playing a part.

Can you accept that perhaps your god purposely caused the contradiction for some purpose? If so then you could stop trying to sweep it under the carpet.
The Bible says with God one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like one day. God exists outside of time because God is eternal.

A literal six day creation has never been essential to me. Why do you say it is essential?
Wrong. I said that as long as one see's God's hand in creation, whether it be a seven day creation or evolution, it makes no difference to daily Christian living which one feels is correct.
Can you accept that perhaps your god purposely caused the contradiction for some purpose?
No.

Yet you're somehow driven to mingle with the heathens here on this discussion board.

You're here to learn. You could be reading your bibles to learn but that isn't fulfilling for you today at least.
Oh no, I'm not here to learn. I read books or articles by people I hold in esteem for that. I'm here to reveal the idiocy and ignorance of the left.

My marriage works. So did my grandparents' marriage.

The only part that interested me is that you thought that young creation versus evolution is something that divides Catholics. It's not. Each Catholic is welcome to believe whatever makes the best sense to them.
That was my best guess for the nature of the bone that's being picked by so many American Catholics.

When Americans are asked if they believe the bible literally, something over 40% say they do. This to me indicates that many of them are hiding the fact that they are a part of the nearly half.

What they're really saying is that all the bible stories can be interpreted in a way that makes them literally true.

And there's the reason why you always try to sweep the question under the carpet.

Ding for example takes a different approach by facing up to the question in his own way. He understands that some will persist with the question.

Forum List

Back