Zone1 Fear of God is the beginning of all wisdom

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
Douay-Rheims Bible
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is prudence.

English Revised Version
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

I have been wondering lately if there such a thing as having too much fear of God? Well, there is almost always a problem with "too much" of anything, but in any case: how much is too much?

Well, I have sometimes been afraid to express to God my... shall we call (See what I mean?) "disappointment" in Him. (Anyone who could have heard some of my rants would not use the word Disappointment!)

I have, in the past felt GREAT sorrow and regret after "letting God have it." And I would never say that I should not have felt that way (or would I?). However, sometimes I just flat out feel guilty for expressing these feelings/thoughts, which of course He already knows are there anyhow...

So it's kind of like a fight with one's spouse or significant other LOL: I say all kinds of "bad sounding" stuff to Him and... then I apologize and etc...

Anyhow, I think what Proverbs means is to have a healthy fear of the consequences of crossing Him (mortal sin).

The thing is, What if you are doing all you can NOT to?

OK, virtually all you can...

Douay-Rheims Bible
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is prudence.

English Revised Version
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

I have been wondering lately if there such a thing as having too much fear of God? Well, there is almost always a problem with "too much" of anything, but in any case: how much is too much?

Well, I have sometimes been afraid to express to God my... shall we call (See what I mean?) "disappointment" in Him. (Anyone who could have heard some of my rants would not use the word Disappointment!)

I have, in the past felt GREAT sorrow and regret after "letting God have it." And I would never say that I should not have felt that way (or would I?). However, sometimes I just flat out feel guilty for expressing these feelings/thoughts, which of course He already knows are there anyhow...

So it's kind of like a fight with one's spouse or significant other LOL: I say all kinds of "bad sounding" stuff to Him and... then I apologize and etc...

Anyhow, I think what Proverbs means is to have a healthy fear of the consequences of crossing Him (mortal sin).

As a hardcore atheist let me this, who the fuck are you decide what is and what is NOT wisdom. Newflash, there is no god, not and never has been. Only weak minded people to afraid to think for themselves who blieve in something that does not now and never has existed.

Douay-Rheims Bible

English Revised Version

Proverbs 8:13
The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

No, you can't have too much of that.

As a hardcore atheist let me this, who the fuck are you decide what is and what is NOT wisdom. Newflash, there is no god, not and never has been. Only weak minded people to afraid to think for themselves who blieve in something that does not now and never has existed.
So, what is evil?

Evil is mutilating the genitals of children or ripping a health infant out of the womb to kill it or chasing Jewish students at Harvard into the attic as people sing gas the Jews.

Just common sense really.

Proverbs 8:13
The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

No, you can't have too much of that.
can't have too much of that

but you can have too much of... "Oh my God, He's going to strike me dead for expressing my feelings RE Him"

can't have too much of that

but you can have too much of... "Oh my God, He's going to strike me dead for expressing my feelings RE Him"
Try again

What is the definition of the fear of God?

I just gave it to you.

That last post is not worthy of my time

If you don't believe in God, does that make it right for you to hate those who do?

By what right do you anyone lame ass enough to believe in a Magical/Mystical/Mythical Sky Man haveh right does and does not have wisdom?

IF you are so weak minded that you need believe something that does not exist and are proud enough believe that crap, does not entitle you or anyone to decide a damn thinng for those who do not believe.

You do not have the to use you make believe religion as weapon against others and sure as hell do get to decide what is and is not moral. I suse as an example of how moral you people are. You support a man who has cheated on each of his wives. You support a who had affairs with both a adult film actress and nude playboy model. He boasts about grabbing Women by their pussy and you choose to support a man who engages in such conduct.

You pick and choose what parts of your holy book you believe and dump the rest. If I offend you, good. That is my point.

By what right do you anyone lame ass enough to believe in a Magical/Mystical/Mythical Sky Man haveh right does and does not have wisdom?

IF you are so weak minded that you need believe something that does not exist and are proud enough believe that crap, does not entitle you or anyone to decide a damn thinng for those who do not believe.

You do not have the to use you make believe religion as weapon against others and sure as hell do get to decide what is and is not moral. I suse as an example of how moral you people are. You support a man who has cheated on each of his wives. You support a who had affairs with both a adult film actress and nude playboy model. He boasts about grabbing Women by their pussy and you choose to support a man who engages in such conduct.

You pick and choose what parts of your holy book you believe and dump the rest. If I offend you, good. That is my point.
And men can have babies, right?

:auiqs.jpg:

Are you expressing the religion of atheism in this post?

“We” don’t get to decide, God does.

The downfall of humanity happens when we humans start to decide for ourselves what is right and wrong. That’s kind of the whole point of the Bible.

“We” don’t get to decide, God does.

The downfall of humanity happens when we humans start to decide for ourselves what is right and wrong. That’s kind of the whole point of the Bible.
It all comes down to the wisdom of God vs wisdom of man.

God gave us the Bible as a guide to his wisdom

Man builds his house in Hawaii on a volcano and cries to God about why he allowed lava to flow through his living room last night.

He is only talking about himself and God, not you.

And, the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, as proven by all of human history including secular human history.

Also, the fear of God is soon replaced by love for God when one begins to enjoy the blessings of God's wisdom.

Were any of those things you claim he did codified into law?

Every human is flawed. When it comes to voting in elections and supporting political leaders, we merely pick the ones that support and defend a platform that best fits our values. Not starting stupid wars, making our nation safer, brining jobs back to America, these are what we vote on….not your imagined crimes.

Forum List

Back