Zone1 Is THIS "overkill"?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind

Black Alabama pastor says he was wrongfully arrested while watering his neighbor's flowers​

The man was on PRIVATE property. He was OBVIOUSLY watering flowers.
The neighbor that called the police even came out and TOLD the police she made a mistake.

I know there's a FEW good, honest cops out there. But this is the state of the police forces across the nation right now.

Do you think the cops are going too far?

they have to reply to calls. like this...imagine if he was watering the flowers before he broke in etc and so forth....the police must answer these calls but the way they answer is always in question....when i was dealing with my mom's house...i forgot which door alerted the police...of course it was the door i opened....they came....they ask for id and i explained what i was doing and they left...ahhh the joys of being white

Black Alabama pastor says he was wrongfully arrested while watering his neighbor's flowers​

The neighbor that called the police even came out and TOLD the police she made a mistake.

I know there's a FEW good, honest cops out there. But this is the state of the police forces across the nation right now.

The cops were doing their job according to their city or county's rule books. It's a crying shame, but sometimes people cannot go next door and meet new neighbors due to aging or disability, and new neighbors are often shy about being first to say hello.

When we moved to Oregon in 1978, the neighbor south of our place threatened to kill my two children and nephew, who lived with us for years. The real problem was a dispute he had with the people who built the place and would not yield property his fence was on. For inches of land that wasn't on his deed, he threatened people he never met with the death of all the family children. I couldn't sleep for two weeks, worried that our nephew, a special needs child, would cross the fence line and be murdered by a mentally sick neighbor. My nephew's mother abandoned him at birth, and his father was in the Navy and needed child care which I was thrilled to provide my elder brother who spent his adult life aboard a ship protecting our Pacific waters from despots. :( Their movements were not to be known, so he could not let me know where he was his entire 20 year tour. We raised his son from the day he started learning the ABCs till about the fifth grade, when my brother remarried a lovely woman who gave our nephew every minute she could spare until he chose to join the Navy like his dad. :thup:

Last edited:
they have to reply to calls. like this...imagine if he was watering the flowers before he broke in etc and so forth....the police must answer these calls but the way they answer is always in question....when i was dealing with my mom's house...i forgot which door alerted the police...of course it was the door i opened....they came....they ask for id and i explained what i was doing and they left...ahhh the joys of being white
In your case a triggered door alarm and you being inside is reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed

Watering flowers does not meet that threshold

It's ONE thing for cops to come out to check to see whats actually going on.
It's another to arrest somebody for taking care of a property they were given authority to do so!

It's ONE thing for cops to come out to check to see whats actually going on.
It's another to arrest somebody for taking care of a property they were given authority to do so!

It falls under the “Reasonable man” theory

Would a reasonable man accept an explanation that they were watering a neighbors flowers because they were on vacation?

Assuming it was a break in attempt seems like a reach

Would a reasonable man accept an explanation that they were watering a neighbors flowers because they were on vacation?

The article DID state the woman came out and told the police that she knew the man and that she made a mistake.

For me, that would have been the end of it. Got better things to do than arrest a man for assaulting flowers with a water hose.

The cops were doing their job according to their city or county's rule books. It's a crying shame, but sometimes people cannot go next door and meet new neighbors due to aging or disability, and new neighbors are often shy about being first to say hello.

When we moved to Oregon in 1978, the neighbor south of our place threatened to kill my two children and nephew, who lived with us for years. The real problem was a dispute he had with the people who built the place and would not yield property his fence was on. For inches of land that wasn't on his deed, he threatened people he never met with the death of all the family children. I couldn't sleep for two weeks, worried that our nephew, a special needs child, would cross the fence line and be murdered by a mentally sick neighbor. My nephew's mother abandoned him at birth, and his father was in the Navy and needed child care which I was thrilled to provide my elder brother who spent his adult life aboard a ship protecting our Pacific waters from despots. :( Their movements were not to be known, so he could not let me know where he was his entire 20 year tour. We raised his son from the day he started learning the ABCs till about the fifth grade, when my brother remarried a lovely woman who gave our nephew every minute she could spare until he chose to join the Navy like his dad. :thup:
Special needs are sailors now? SMH.

they have to reply to calls. like this...imagine if he was watering the flowers before he broke in etc and so forth....

Right,.. because most criminals I know want flowers to be healthy and the dogs and cats to be fed before they convert into heartless monsters and start breaking the law. :rolleyes:

Special needs are sailors now? SMH.
Shaking your head? hmmmm

We taught the errant son to read and expected him to act responsibly. He did his part cheerfully. We prayerly helped return him to good graces at school. My brother's new wife did her part to kindly encourage the best in him. Is that so hard to understand that a former special needs child can grow up to become a good citizen who wants to help his country if he is respected and cared for by extended family members and a kindly step mother?

The first night my nephew stayed in our home, I found him curled up in fright in the corner of his new bedroom. My husband and I did all we could to let him know he was welcome in our home, and that nobody would harm him. He had been severely abused by his birth mother who dumped him and my brother's next girlfriend who beat on him every day to show him who was boss. He was needing special care, and he got it in the loving atmosphere of our home. It just took him time to realize nobody in our home was going to hurt him and hate his presence as was his experience. No child should ever have to go what my nephew went through, and my brother's military service brought him back home to a houseful of worry. He called me and my husband and I agreed to care for his abused son. Even abused children can be encouraged to not worry about the past. We did what any God-fearing American family would do for someone as outstanding as my brother and his son who was mistreated whilst serving his country. Military families tend to be faithful to their loved ones and family. We only did our part to a beloved member of our family. And we did it for several years in spite of nephew's early life rejections by unfit women who had no use for the young son of my brother. When he remarried again, he picked a caregiver woman to continue raising his son while he completed his service to the Navy. Thank God for my dear brother and for giving us the strength to care for his son until a better home life became his lifelong dream, and hers too as it were. :thup:

Last edited:
Motherless, abused children do have special needs. They need an adult to guide them and help them get over their abuse. They are social disasters, and they need an adult to negotiate for them until they learn how to fend off predators by themselves. He was also a head shorter than people two years younger than himself due to partial starvation by a previous step mother who hated him. A child deserves better than that. My nephew is now an independent adult and is able to work and take care of himself. Sad to say, I haven't seen him in almost 40 years, and I was too sick to go to my brother's funeral or I'd have seen him 8 years ago. Chances are his memories of living in our home for five or six years are somewhat vague to him now. As I said, he had special needs, and we only dealt with the obvious problems we could help him with. If he ever contacts me, I would be totally thrilled.

Motherless, abused children do have special needs. They need an adult to guide them
This is true of any child. "Special needs" has a meaning that does not include normal parental guidance. It usually describes those with medically recognized mental or physical disabilities. An abused child is not necessarily special needs and typically special needs isn't something you grow out of.

This is true of any child. "Special needs" has a meaning that does not include normal parental guidance. It usually describes those with medically recognized mental or physical disabilities. An abused child is not necessarily special needs and typically special needs isn't something you grow out of.
You did not see my nephew when he was crouched in the corner of his new bedroom with sheer terror on his face and in his eyes. He needed comfort and caring sometimes on an hourly basis, and he became relaxed but only after 6 weeks of kindness and consideration. That is important to a child who has had food withheld, facial slaps, pinching, ridicule, and ostracization from any semblance of caring. His age was that of a fourth-grader, but tests put him at first grade level. I spent that six weeks before school started teaching the ABCs in alphabet orde, simple addition and subtraction, the school administration loaned me some Lippincott basic readers from 1st through 4th grade, and I personally conducted his reading lessons so that he could retake tests with children his age. That placed him in 3rd grade classes in the best elementary school in town. He had me one on one for six hours a day, five days a week, field trips to a waterfall, a warm springs swim, swimming at a mile-high lake, hot lunches, Sunday School and worship services, and children card and "Candyland" games with his cousins in the evenings alternated with tv shows one hour every other evening, hot dinners, and breakfast at I-Hop every Saturday morning. He was also taken to Yellowstone National Park, Bear Trap Meadow picnic, and a Lake Alcova boat ride, and could pick a child's book at the town library for reading. He loved every minute of it, and we loved him as much as if he were one of our own two children. He responded with learning to cooperating with self-improvement in academics. In school with other children, he was able to get along reasonably well after spending the summer interacting with his cousins, his aunt and his uncle. We helped him learn to manage money, and with never having had any, he learned the value of coins, buying small items, and saving one dollar a week going to the bank. My husband taught him how to pitch a softball, catch and play volleyball, and take a swing at badminton with our kids and ourselves. Our children got over their initial jealousy, and by the time school started, they walked back and forth from the elementary school a few blocks from our house. It was good for all of us. After school started, I never saw him cringe or worry again, and we had the joy of seeing my brother his dad a lot oftener than never! He also experienced a move from Wyoming to Oregon when my husband got a double promotion in his job. What a great time we had with our nephew getting a new lease on life with no worries and being treated to what most Americans have--a family and as carefree childhood years he never had before except when his father was on leave a week every year until my brother was stationed at Corpus Christi with his new caregiver wife. yea! She made sure he was well-cared for in their new home in Corpus Christi. I was totally happy for him.

Last edited:
You did not see my nephew when he was crouched in the corner of his new bedroom with sheer terror on his face and in his eyes. He needed comfort and caring sometimes on an hourly basis, and he became relaxed but only after 6 weeks of kindness and consideration. That is important to a child who has had food withheld, facial slaps, pinching, ridicule, and ostracization from any semblance of caring. His age was that of a fourth-grader, but tests put him at first grade level. I spent that six weeks before school started teaching the ABCs in alphabet orde, simple addition and subtraction, the school administration loaned me some Lippincott basic readers from 1st through 4th grade, and I personally conducted his reading lessons so that he could retake tests with children his age. That placed him in 3rd grade classes in the best elementary school in town. He had me one on one for six hours a day, five days a week, field trips to a waterfall, a warm springs swim, swimming at a mile-high lake, hot lunches, Sunday School and worship services, and children card and "Candyland" games with his cousins in the evenings alternated with tv shows one hour every other evening, hot dinners, and breakfast at I-Hop every Saturday morning. He was also taken to Yellowstone National Park, Bear Trap Meadow picnic, and a Lake Alcova boat ride, and could pick a child's book at the town library for reading. He loved every minute of it, and we loved him as much as if he were one of our own two children. He responded with learning to cooperating with self-improvement in academics. In school with other children, he was able to get along reasonably well after spending the summer interacting with his cousins, his aunt and his uncle. We helped him learn to manage money, and with never having had any, he learned the value of coins, buying small items, and saving one dollar a week going to the bank. My husband taught him how to pitch a softball, catch and play volleyball, and take a swing at badminton with our kids and ourselves. Our children got over their initial jealousy, and by the time school started, they walked back and forth from the elementary school a few blocks from our house. It was good for all of us. After school started, I never saw him cringe or worry again, and we had the joy of seeing my brother his dad a lot oftener than never! He also experienced a move from Wyoming to Oregon when my husband got a double promotion in his job. What a great time we had with our nephew getting a new lease on life with no worries and being treated to what most Americans have--a family and as carefree childhood years he never had before except when his father was on leave a week every year until my brother was stationed at Corpus Christi with his new caregiver wife. yea! She made sure he was well-cared for in their new home in Corpus Christi. I was totally happy for him.
Again, it was not special needs. You cared for an abused and neglected child. That does not fit the description of special needs.

Absolutely!

Would a reasonable man accept an explanation that a gay black actor was accosted by two white MAGA guys at 3 am on a freezing night in inner city Chicago, and they just knew he was that guy from the obscure HBO show Empire, put a noose around his neck, and ran off?

You did.

Forum List

Back