Is the confederate flag really racist ??

A piece of cloth can't be racist any more than a gun by itself will kill-
Is that like the way that a piece of cloth can't represent a country. That people never pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth?
“And to the Republic, for which it stands”

What did the Confederate Flag stand for?

Hitler built the Volkswagen and Mussolini made the trains run on time.
We still do not celebrate them
FDR put japs in concentration camps, and you people celebrate him.

Does that mean you support concentration camps?
It's not just what you do, it's what you're known for.
This is like the joke about the bridgebuilder.

You know, you can build bridges for 40 years, and nobody ever calls you Bob the Bridgebuilder...but you suck one cock.

3 count them. union states had slaves when the war started. Ergo having slaves is not the reason for the war...
WOW. Stupid runs strong in your lineage.
The whole first half of the 19th century was about slavery. It's why new states were admitted into the union in pairs.

You tell me ???

I have always viewed it as a flag of southern heritage and culture??
Most white southerners did not own slaves and most only went to war as defensive measures?

If I was a black guy ?? Maybe I see the flag as slavery and oppression

Make your case
ALL Western ways of life is Racist to the Marxist Left.

As far as I know, it's not illegal to wave the Confederate flag.
Just as it's not illegal to burn the American flag.

What's your point. That something has to be illegal to be wrong? Next you'll say there's nothing wrong with using the "N" word.

In Germany, the far-right conspiracy nuts and neo-Nazis like to wave the German Reich war flag, you know, the one with the iron cross in black-white-red (perhaps because the Nazi flag is illegal).

Some other brands of far-righters do you black-red-gold, the democratic colors, but forming a cross like on the Scandinavian flags... guess that's a code for a certain ideology too (maybe the "Reichsbürger", who refuse to respect the Federal Republic's authority and claim Germany is still occupied since 1945).

Others are more obvious and wave the Russian flag. That's because for parts of the far-right, the Kremlin propaganda channels in German language are what FOX News is for American Trumpists.

Some East German nostalgics still wave the GDR flag sometimes.

I'd say, if you like your country, wave the official flag. And if you hate freedom and democracy so much, then go to Russia or North Korea and go see if it's so much better there.

You tell me ???

Most white southerners did not own slaves and most only went to war as defensive measures?

Make your case
The battle flag of the confederate republic is a symbol of slavery and inhumanity towards others. If the boogers who did not own slaves simply did not go to war then things would be different.

The battle flag of the confederate republic is a symbol of slavery and inhumanity towards others. ..

You realize it, but I think most people missed the point. The confederate flag wasn't a symbol of southern culture or heritage, it was as you said 'A BATTLE FLAG, It represented fighting the civil war.

You tell me ???

Make your case
What's your gut reaction when someone displays a swastika?

And here's some light reading for you if you're interested in what one state had to say about why it was seceding from the Union:
DECLARATION OF CAUSES: February 2, 1861 A declaration of the causes which impel the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union. | TSLAC
"The Federal Government, while but partially under the control of these our unnatural and sectional enemies, has for years almost entirely failed to protect the lives and property of the people of Texas against the Indian savages on our border, and more recently against the murderous forays of banditti from the neighboring territory of Mexico; and when our State government has expended large amounts for such purpose, the Federal Government has refused reimbursement therefor, thus rendering our condition more insecure and harrassing than it was during the existence of the Republic of Texas."
You started at paragraph six skipping right over paragraphs two and three which explains the belief of the people of Texas that it was their right to enslave black people. Paragraph 23 indicates that it was the will of God Almightly Himself that decree this:
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated States to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility [sic] and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

The controlling majority of the Federal Government, under various pretences and disguises, has so administered the same as to exclude the citizens of the Southern States, unless under odious and unconstitutional restrictions, from all the immense territory owned in common by all the States on the Pacific Ocean, for the avowed purpose of acquiring sufficient power in the common government to use it as a means of destroying the institutions of Texas and her sister slave-holding States.

[snipped]
That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States.
That is ridiculous
I agree, but this is fact and how black people were, and to hear some speak still are viewed. Did you note that they intended for us to be in servitude to the white race in perpetuity? ( the servitude of the African to the white race ,,,which her people intended should exist in all future time)

Slavery was only an issue for the new states coming into the union, It wasn't that big of deal.
Except to the Confederacy, which had based its new government on it. I mean, they said it out loud and wrote it out plainly. Not loud or plain enough it would seem.

You tell me ???

Make your case

And here's some light reading for you if you're interested in what one state had to say about why it was seceding from the Union:
DECLARATION OF CAUSES: February 2, 1861 A declaration of the causes which impel the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union. | TSLAC
"The Federal Government, while but partially under the control of these our unnatural and sectional enemies, has for years almost entirely failed to protect the lives and property of the people of Texas against the Indian savages on our border, and more recently against the murderous forays of banditti from the neighboring territory of Mexico; and when our State government has expended large amounts for such purpose, the Federal Government has refused reimbursement therefor, thus rendering our condition more insecure and harrassing than it was during the existence of the Republic of Texas."
Texans are especially proud of Texas for reasons unknown to Yankee's. The Battle of San Yacento? I can't spell it and neither can spell check.

You tell me ???

Make your case

Texans are especially proud of Texas for reasons unknown to Yankee's. The Battle of San Yacento? I can't spell it and neither can spell check.
San Jacinto

You tell me ???

Make your case

You started at paragraph six skipping right over paragraphs two and three which explains the belief of the people of Texas that it was their right to enslave black people. Paragraph 23 indicates that it was the will of God Almightly Himself that decreed this:
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated States to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility [sic] and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

The controlling majority of the Federal Government, under various pretences and disguises, has so administered the same as to exclude the citizens of the Southern States, unless under odious and unconstitutional restrictions, from all the immense territory owned in common by all the States on the Pacific Ocean, for the avowed purpose of acquiring sufficient power in the common government to use it as a means of destroying the institutions of Texas and her sister slave-holding States.

[snipped]
That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States.

If you read the document, while they did declare the right to slavery, their listing of reasons for leaving the Union was in the paragraph I quoted.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I guess.

You tell me ???

Make your case

You started at paragraph six skipping right over paragraphs two and three which explains the belief of the people of Texas that it was their right to enslave black people. Paragraph 23 indicates that it was the will of God Almightly Himself that decree this:

[snipped]
That is ridiculous
I agree, but this is fact and how black people were, and to hear some speak still are viewed. Did you note that they intended for us to be in servitude to the white race in perpetuity? ( the servitude of the African to the white race ,,,which her people intended should exist in all future time)

Although that was declared in that document, as a practical matter, slavery had reached its geographic limits when it reached the Brazos River Valley in Texas. The land beyond the Brazos River Valley was not suitable for raising cotton in the 19th Century. By the time the aquafers were discovered, mechanical farming equipment were being introduced, which would have destroyed the need for slaves.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
You tell me ???

Make your case

You started at paragraph six skipping right over paragraphs two and three which explains the belief of the people of Texas that it was their right to enslave black people. Paragraph 23 indicates that it was the will of God Almightly Himself that decreed this:

[snipped]

If you read the document, while they did declare the right to slavery, their listing of reasons for leaving the Union was in the paragraph I quoted.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I guess.
I'd say my reading comprehension is at least equal to if not slightly better than yours if for no other reason than you listed one paragraph and seemed to imply that it was the sole reason for them seceding.

All three of the paragraphs I cited indicate their opinion that the black race was decreed to be subservient to the white race for all time, with the third paragraph indicating that this was God's will, however the end of the second paragraph specifically mention Texas's "sister slave-holding states". They could have worded it as their sister confederate states, but instead emphasized the fact that their sister states were "slave-holding".

So you have one paragraph stating one reason for them seceding and three different paragraphs in which they're making a case that they have the right to enslave the black race essentially because God allegedly made the black race inferior and the white race superior and this is what He wanted/

I have 3 out of 4 reasons saying it's slavery and you have one out of 4 saying it's because the federal government wouldn't help them protect their borders or reimburse them for the cost of their expenditures in providing that protection themselves.

When you have multiple reasons or pretexts for why something happened, generally it goes to the majority.

You tell me ???

Make your case

Swastika flag was invented by the Nazis so it would make sense to think nazis when seeing one.
Confederate flag was invented in previous wars---and it was more about home pride than anything else.
Secondly the whole confederate war was about state rights verses fed rights, and slavery or ending it was about punishing the south not what the war was actually over as union states also still had slaves. Not everyone else fault that those hate the flag are just flat out uneducated and stupid.
What a load of self serving codswallop. The right of states to form a government based on the inferiority of the Black man. I mean, they said it out loud.
3 count them. union states had slaves when the war started. Ergo having slaves is not the reason for the war...
It was taxes on imports/exports which hit the southern states harder---much harder.

Slavery was only an issue for the new states coming into the union, It wasn't that big of deal.

This said if you bothered to educate yourself about history.....the civil war was actually started by a drunk or two on the confederate side firing at Ft Sumpter yankees which "started" the war if you must know. An act of stupidity from lower ranks which in actuality neither really wanted or intended. YOU MAY want to research further btw as the lenghts that each side went to to avoid killing one another after the shots was fire was rather telling.
I saw a documentary about that, IIRC.

FaithfulHardJellyfish-small.gif

Forum List

Back