Is the confederate flag really racist ??

You tell me ???

I have always viewed it as a flag of southern heritage and culture??
Most white southerners did not own slaves and most only went to war as defensive measures?

If I was a black guy ?? Maybe I see the flag as slavery and oppression

Make your case
The Nazi flag is kewl looking and represents heritage and culture. Most German's were not Nazis and went to war for defensive measures. If I were a Jew I doubt I would see the Nazis as oppressors and murders.
Make yer case.
Wtf ???

You sir are getting a big red thumb down
It is essentially the same thing you said, it's like slavery but with the extra steps. Did the Jews enjoy being enslaved?
How rude !!
It’s not the same thing
The Nazi flag was about the 3rd Reich and it’s conquest of earth and eliminating “inferior races”
Now you know what the Confederates were about.

You tell me ???

Most white southerners did not own slaves and most only went to war as defensive measures?

Make your case
The Nazi flag is kewl looking and represents heritage and culture. Most German's were not Nazis and went to war for defensive measures. If I were a Jew I doubt I would see the Nazis as oppressors and murders.
Make yer case.
Wtf ???

You sir are getting a big red thumb down
It is essentially the same thing you said, it's like slavery but with the extra steps. Did the Jews enjoy being enslaved?
How rude !!
It’s not the same thing
The Nazi flag was about the 3rd Reich and it’s conquest of earth and eliminating “inferior races”
Now you know what the Confederates were about.
They were being invaded while Germany was about conquest and they almost killed every Jew

I know a lady who flies the American flag in her front yard and the Confederate flag in her back yard. She just added the Confederate flag.

I am not sure but I think some of her relatives fought for the South in the Civil War.

You tell me ???

Make your case
Even people living in the south are ignorant about the stars and bars. That's the confederate battle flag. The confederate national flag is normal looking. A big fuss was raised about the stars and bars on the Georgia flag so they changed it to the confederate national flag with nobody the wiser.

It is not even the confederate battle flag. It is the battle flag of northern virginia.
According to Wikipedia this is the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia.

1623129031610.png

This is the Second Confederate Navy Jack, 1863–1865

1623129124489.png

I usually see the more rectangular 2nd Navy Jack flag flown in Florida.

You tell me ???

Make your case
What's your gut reaction when someone displays a swastika?

And here's some light reading for you if you're interested in what one state had to say about why it was seceding from the Union:
DECLARATION OF CAUSES: February 2, 1861 A declaration of the causes which impel the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union. | TSLAC
"The Federal Government, while but partially under the control of these our unnatural and sectional enemies, has for years almost entirely failed to protect the lives and property of the people of Texas against the Indian savages on our border, and more recently against the murderous forays of banditti from the neighboring territory of Mexico; and when our State government has expended large amounts for such purpose, the Federal Government has refused reimbursement therefor, thus rendering our condition more insecure and harrassing than it was during the existence of the Republic of Texas."
You started at paragraph six skipping right over paragraphs two and three which explains the belief of the people of Texas that it was their right to enslave black people. Paragraph 23 indicates that it was the will of God Almightly Himself that decreed this:
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated States to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility [sic] and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

The controlling majority of the Federal Government, under various pretences and disguises, has so administered the same as to exclude the citizens of the Southern States, unless under odious and unconstitutional restrictions, from all the immense territory owned in common by all the States on the Pacific Ocean, for the avowed purpose of acquiring sufficient power in the common government to use it as a means of destroying the institutions of Texas and her sister slave-holding States.

[snipped]
That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States.

If you read the document, while they did declare the right to slavery, their listing of reasons for leaving the Union was in the paragraph I quoted.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I guess.
I'd say my reading comprehension is at least equal to if not slightly better than yours if for no other reason than you listed one paragraph and seemed to imply that it was the sole reason for them seceding.

All three of the paragraphs I cited indicate their opinion that the black race was decreed to be subservient to the white race for all time, with the third paragraph indicating that this was God's will, however the end of the second paragraph specifically mention Texas's "sister slave-holding states". They could have worded it as their sister confederate states, but instead emphasized the fact that their sister states were "slave-holding".

So you have one paragraph stating one reason for them seceding and three different paragraphs in which they're making a case that they have the right to enslave the black race essentially because God allegedly made the black race inferior and the white race superior and this is what He wanted/

I have 3 out of 4 reasons saying it's slavery and you have one out of 4 saying it's because the federal government wouldn't help them protect their borders or reimburse them for the cost of their expenditures in providing that protection themselves.

When you have multiple reasons or pretexts for why something happened, generally it goes to the majority.
You are practicing lazy history, my friend. You have 3 paragraphs justifying slavery, but not as the reason for dissolving the union. And while you might SAY your reading comprehension is at least equal to mine, the evidence does not back up your claim. Bless your heart.
You're wrong on all accounts but that isn't surprising considering how you attempted to prove your point.

And my skills and abilities aren't what they are because I SAY, they are, but because others say they are, others who validate my skillset and abilitites by providing my certifications, licenses, etc.

There are a freaking thousand documents that guarantee the King's absolute authority.
Yet you can't show one that explicitly bases the UK government on the inferiority of the Black man. Why don't you stop flailing, trying to defend the Krackers?

Slavery was an irritant but not a reason......TAXES were the real reason, State verses federal Rights, and one or some drunk bored confederated troops chosing to fire without orders was.
The Confederate VP not good enough for you, eh?

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery — subordination to the superior race — is his natural and normal condition.

You tell me ???

Make your case
Even people living in the south are ignorant about the stars and bars. That's the confederate battle flag. The confederate national flag is normal looking. A big fuss was raised about the stars and bars on the Georgia flag so they changed it to the confederate national flag with nobody the wiser.

It is not even the confederate battle flag. It is the battle flag of northern virginia.
According to Wikipedia this is the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia.

View attachment 498516

This is the Second Confederate Navy Jack, 1863–1865

View attachment 498517

I usually see the more rectangular 2nd Navy Jack flag flown in Florida.

Flags-Confederacy.png

Slavery was only an issue for the new states coming into the union, It wasn't that big of deal.
Slavery was a big enough deal to secede from the Union and form a nation dedicated to the preservation of slavery
Slavery was an irritant but not a reason......TAXES were the real reason, State verses federal Rights, and one or some drunk bored confederated troops chosing to fire without orders was.

Again 3 union states had slaves...........if slavery was the reason, why would these 3 slave states fight against the other slave states? Most people back then could not afford slaves--------why fight for slavery when slavery basically only meant that your wages would be lower? The norths push for taxes on exports which affected the south cotton exports is the real reason for the war.
NONSENSE

Read the articles of secession from each state
Protection of Slavery is the key reason

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
Slavery was only an issue for the new states coming into the union, It wasn't that big of deal.
Slavery was a big enough deal to secede from the Union and form a nation dedicated to the preservation of slavery

Again 3 union states had slaves...........if slavery was the reason, why would these 3 slave states fight against the other slave states? Most people back then could not afford slaves--------why fight for slavery when slavery basically only meant that your wages would be lower? The norths push for taxes on exports which affected the south cotton exports is the real reason for the war.
NONSENSE

Read the articles of secession from each state
Protection of Slavery is the key reason
Abe told them he supported the FIRST 13th amendment which made slavery legal forever. They still seceded.
You believe it.

The Confederate flag only existed for about 4 years but the flag that flew off the stern of slave ships for 200 years was mostly the British Union Jack.
I don't remember reading where the UK was explicitly founded on the basis of the inferiority of the Black man.

An odd qualifier. So slavery is ok, as long as it is not "explicitly" part of your founding concepts?

Man, can you imagine trying to explain that to the millions of slaves that toiled in the sugar plantations of the Caribbean?

It is clear that you only pretend to care about it now, to justify your hatred of America.

Everyone else, you give a pass to, or at least an even break.

There is no way the Confederate Flag is racist. Next you are going to tell me Six Flags Amusement Parks should be changed to Five Flags because on of the 6 Flags is the Stars and Bars .

Adopted in 1996 by the Texas Historical Commission, the approved standard designs for the Six Flags of Texas were published in the June 20, 1997 issue of the Texas Register. (22 Texas Register 5959-5967) The standard designs for the flags are as follows: the March 8, 1793 Spanish flag, the circa 1643 French flag, the April 1823 Mexican flag, the March 4, 1861 Confederate Stars and Bars flag and the current versions of the U.S. and Texas flags

Sorry you cannot change history.

There is no way the Confederate Flag is racist. Next you are going to tell me Six Flags Amusement Parks should be changed to Five Flags because on of the 6 Flags is the Stars and Bars .

Adopted in 1996 by the Texas Historical Commission, the approved standard designs for the Six Flags of Texas were published in the June 20, 1997 issue of the Texas Register. (22 Texas Register 5959-5967) The standard designs for the flags are as follows: the March 8, 1793 Spanish flag, the circa 1643 French flag, the April 1823 Mexican flag, the March 4, 1861 Confederate Stars and Bars flag and the current versions of the U.S. and Texas flags

One of those flags was the Confederacy

One of the most racist Governments in human history
When almost 40 percent of your population is in bondage, you have nothing to be proud of

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

One of those flags was the Confederacy

One of the most racist Governments in human history
When almost 40 percent of your population is in bondage, you have nothing to be proud of
So what? and none of those other were racist? Grow up
Different times different standards

I haven't found evidence those five governments/nations were based explicitly on the inferiority of the Black man. The Confederate government on the other hand said it loud and proud.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back