Is the confederate flag really racist ??

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
You tell me ???

I have always viewed it as a flag of southern heritage and culture??
Most white southerners did not own slaves and most only went to war as defensive measures?

If I was a black guy ?? Maybe I see the flag as slavery and oppression

Make your case

You tell me ???

Most white southerners did not own slaves and most only went to war as defensive measures?

Make your case
What's your gut reaction when someone displays a swastika?

And here's some light reading for you if you're interested in what one state had to say about why it was seceding from the Union:
DECLARATION OF CAUSES: February 2, 1861 A declaration of the causes which impel the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union. | TSLAC

You tell me ???

Make your case
Even people living in the south are ignorant about the stars and bars. That's the confederate battle flag. The confederate national flag is normal looking. A big fuss was raised about the stars and bars on the Georgia flag so they changed it to the confederate national flag with nobody the wiser.

You tell me ???

Make your case

And here's some light reading for you if you're interested in what one state had to say about why it was seceding from the Union:
DECLARATION OF CAUSES: February 2, 1861 A declaration of the causes which impel the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union. | TSLAC
"The Federal Government, while but partially under the control of these our unnatural and sectional enemies, has for years almost entirely failed to protect the lives and property of the people of Texas against the Indian savages on our border, and more recently against the murderous forays of banditti from the neighboring territory of Mexico; and when our State government has expended large amounts for such purpose, the Federal Government has refused reimbursement therefor, thus rendering our condition more insecure and harrassing than it was during the existence of the Republic of Texas."

You tell me ???

Make your case

"The Federal Government, while but partially under the control of these our unnatural and sectional enemies, has for years almost entirely failed to protect the lives and property of the people of Texas against the Indian savages on our border, and more recently against the murderous forays of banditti from the neighboring territory of Mexico; and when our State government has expended large amounts for such purpose, the Federal Government has refused reimbursement therefor, thus rendering our condition more insecure and harrassing than it was during the existence of the Republic of Texas."
Texans are especially proud of Texas for reasons unknown to Yankee's. The Battle of San Yacento? I can't spell it and neither can spell check.

Bing search, Battle of San Jacinto where Texans defeated Santa Ana making Texas a Republic and independent.

You tell me ???

Make your case

You started at paragraph six skipping right over paragraphs two and three which explains the belief of the people of Texas that it was their right to enslave black people. Paragraph 23 indicates that it was the will of God Almightly Himself that decreed this:
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated States to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility [sic] and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

The controlling majority of the Federal Government, under various pretences and disguises, has so administered the same as to exclude the citizens of the Southern States, unless under odious and unconstitutional restrictions, from all the immense territory owned in common by all the States on the Pacific Ocean, for the avowed purpose of acquiring sufficient power in the common government to use it as a means of destroying the institutions of Texas and her sister slave-holding States.

[snipped]
That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
You tell me ???

Make your case

You started at paragraph six skipping right over paragraphs two and three which explains the belief of the people of Texas that it was their right to enslave black people. Paragraph 23 indicates that it was the will of God Almightly Himself that decree this:
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated States to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility [sic] and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

The controlling majority of the Federal Government, under various pretences and disguises, has so administered the same as to exclude the citizens of the Southern States, unless under odious and unconstitutional restrictions, from all the immense territory owned in common by all the States on the Pacific Ocean, for the avowed purpose of acquiring sufficient power in the common government to use it as a means of destroying the institutions of Texas and her sister slave-holding States.

[snipped]
That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States.
That is ridiculous

You tell me ???

Make your case
It seems to me that Newsvine did make her case. A case that goes right to your premise. And a case you don't seem to want to engage with. I will therefore post it again.

Would you accept anyone posting an op questioning rather or not a Swastika is a sign of Nazism but rather a cultural expression that was once popular in Germany? I'm very much guessing no.

Yet here you are trying to somehow make a case that a confederate flag is somehow disattached from the government that used it as a symbol and the implications from the immortality that their system of government represented and the willingness of that government to go to war to defend it.

Last edited:
You tell me ???

Make your case

Texans are especially proud of Texas for reasons unknown to Yankee's. The Battle of San Yacento? I can't spell it and neither can spell check.

San Jacinto.

You tell me ???

Make your case
Even people living in the south are ignorant about the stars and bars. That's the confederate battle flag. The confederate national flag is normal looking. A big fuss was raised about the stars and bars on the Georgia flag so they changed it to the confederate national flag with nobody the wiser.

It is not even the confederate battle flag. It is the battle flag of northern virginia.

You tell me ???

Make your case
You have made my case on both counts in theory. However, it can also represent white supremacy thoughts among many who wave that flag in our face as they march or drive, or attack our Capitol.

Last edited:
You tell me ???

Make your case

Different symbols representing different things from different times and different places get different reactions?

What a shock.

You tell me ???

Make your case

You started at paragraph six skipping right over paragraphs two and three which explains the belief of the people of Texas that it was their right to enslave black people. Paragraph 23 indicates that it was the will of God Almightly Himself that decreed this:

[snipped]

You mean that you can celebrate something or a part of something, without having to accept EVERYTHING, that went with it?

What a shock.

The flag is not racist
Those who parade around with it are

A fun way to piss off the people who wave that flag is to remind them that same sex marriage has lasted longer than the confederacy did.

I support that flag, though I don't personally "wave it", and that doesn't piss me off at all.

The Southerns I have known, I don't think any of them would give a damn.

Forum List

Back