Is the confederate flag really racist ??

You mean that you can celebrate something or a part of something, without having to accept EVERYTHING, that went with it?

What a shock.

Hitler built the Volkswagen and Mussolini made the trains run on time.
We still do not celebrate them

FDR put japs in concentration camps, and you people celebrate him.

Does that mean you support concentration camps?

Yet very few at the time opposed putting Japanese into camps. Not Republicans in Congress, not the Supreme Court and certainly not the American Public
After all, the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor and you had no idea what they would do next

What's that? Nuance when discussing an historical figure and/or events?

So you do understand it. What a shocker. I guess it is just more of that double standard shit that is your dem life blood.

Hitler built the Volkswagen and Mussolini made the trains run on time.
We still do not celebrate them
FDR put japs in concentration camps, and you people celebrate him.

Does that mean you support concentration camps?
It's not just what you do, it's what you're known for.
This is like the joke about the bridgebuilder.

You know, you can build bridges for 40 years, and nobody ever calls you Bob the Bridgebuilder...but you suck one cock.

For generations after war, the flag was "known" to be a harmless symbol of regional pride.

That SJW assholes have ginned up a lynch mob, is not reason to deprive scores of millions of people of the right to celebrate their culture.

You tell me ???

I have always viewed it as a flag of southern heritage and culture??
Most white southerners did not own slaves and most only went to war as defensive measures?

If I was a black guy ?? Maybe I see the flag as slavery and oppression

Make your case
What's your gut reaction when someone displays a swastika?

And here's some light reading for you if you're interested in what one state had to say about why it was seceding from the Union:
DECLARATION OF CAUSES: February 2, 1861 A declaration of the causes which impel the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union. | TSLAC
"The Federal Government, while but partially under the control of these our unnatural and sectional enemies, has for years almost entirely failed to protect the lives and property of the people of Texas against the Indian savages on our border, and more recently against the murderous forays of banditti from the neighboring territory of Mexico; and when our State government has expended large amounts for such purpose, the Federal Government has refused reimbursement therefor, thus rendering our condition more insecure and harrassing than it was during the existence of the Republic of Texas."
You started at paragraph six skipping right over paragraphs two and three which explains the belief of the people of Texas that it was their right to enslave black people. Paragraph 23 indicates that it was the will of God Almightly Himself that decreed this:
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated States to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility [sic] and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

The controlling majority of the Federal Government, under various pretences and disguises, has so administered the same as to exclude the citizens of the Southern States, unless under odious and unconstitutional restrictions, from all the immense territory owned in common by all the States on the Pacific Ocean, for the avowed purpose of acquiring sufficient power in the common government to use it as a means of destroying the institutions of Texas and her sister slave-holding States.

[snipped]
That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States.

If you read the document, while they did declare the right to slavery, their listing of reasons for leaving the Union was in the paragraph I quoted.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I guess.
I'd say my reading comprehension is at least equal to if not slightly better than yours if for no other reason than you listed one paragraph and seemed to imply that it was the sole reason for them seceding.

All three of the paragraphs I cited indicate their opinion that the black race was decreed to be subservient to the white race for all time, with the third paragraph indicating that this was God's will, however the end of the second paragraph specifically mention Texas's "sister slave-holding states". They could have worded it as their sister confederate states, but instead emphasized the fact that their sister states were "slave-holding".

So you have one paragraph stating one reason for them seceding and three different paragraphs in which they're making a case that they have the right to enslave the black race essentially because God allegedly made the black race inferior and the white race superior and this is what He wanted/

I have 3 out of 4 reasons saying it's slavery and you have one out of 4 saying it's because the federal government wouldn't help them protect their borders or reimburse them for the cost of their expenditures in providing that protection themselves.

When you have multiple reasons or pretexts for why something happened, generally it goes to the majority.
You are practicing lazy history, my friend. You have 3 paragraphs justifying slavery, but not as the reason for dissolving the union. And while you might SAY your reading comprehension is at least equal to mine, the evidence does not back up your claim. Bless your heart.

Any item or type of conduct you can think of can be viewed as racist depending on perception. The Confederate flag only existed for about 4 years but the flag that flew off the stern of slave ships for 200 years was mostly the British Union Jack.

The Confederate flag only existed for about 4 years but the flag that flew off the stern of slave ships for 200 years was mostly the British Union Jack.
I don't remember reading where the UK was explicitly founded on the basis of the inferiority of the Black man.

The Confederate flag only existed for about 4 years but the flag that flew off the stern of slave ships for 200 years was mostly the British Union Jack.
I don't remember reading where the UK was explicitly founded on the basis of the inferiority of the Black man.
Read again. The U.K was founded on the basis of the inferiority of everyone except the freaking King. Blacks weren't even considered to be human by the U.K. when they were rounding them up and shipping them to the Colonies. .

Read again. The U.K was founded on the basis of the inferiority of everyone except the freaking King.
So show me where it's explicitly written the UK was founded on the inferiority of the Black man, you delusional simp, as the Confederacy wrote and was.

You know, like this...

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery — subordination to the superior race — is his natural and normal condition.

You tell me ???

Most white southerners did not own slaves and most only went to war as defensive measures?

Make your case

LOL

White clueless guy says "What"

For others it isn't.
We know for whom.

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery — subordination to the superior race — is his natural and normal condition.

Read again. The U.K was founded on the basis of the inferiority of everyone except the freaking King.
So show me where it's explicitly written the UK was founded on the inferiority of the Black man, you delusional simp, as the Confederacy wrote and was.
There are a freaking thousand documents that guarantee the King's absolute authority. British sanctioned pirates were a colorful lot that engaged in the slave trade when they weren't killing each other. Would you feel better if research uncovered British documents that authorized and encouraged the capture and transportation of African slaves? New Jersey was the last northern state to outlaw slavery a scant fifteen years before hostilities broke out in Lincoln's war.

You tell me ???

Make your case
The Nazi flag is kewl looking and represents heritage and culture. Most German's were not Nazis and went to war for defensive measures. If I were a Jew I doubt I would see the Nazis as oppressors and murders.
Make yer case.

You tell me ???

Make your case
The Nazi flag is kewl looking and represents heritage and culture. Most German's were not Nazis and went to war for defensive measures. If I were a Jew I doubt I would see the Nazis as oppressors and murders.
Make yer case.
Wtf ???

You sir are getting a big red thumb down

You tell me ???

Make your case

LOL

White clueless guy says "What"
How rude !!!

You tell me ???

Make your case
Make yer case.
Wtf ???

It is essentially the same thing you said, it's like slavery but with the extra steps. Did the Jews enjoy being enslaved?

Slavery was only an issue for the new states coming into the union, It wasn't that big of deal.
Slavery was a big enough deal to secede from the Union and form a nation dedicated to the preservation of slavery
Slavery was an irritant but not a reason......TAXES were the real reason, State verses federal Rights, and one or some drunk bored confederated troops chosing to fire without orders was.

Again 3 union states had slaves...........if slavery was the reason, why would these 3 slave states fight against the other slave states? Most people back then could not afford slaves--------why fight for slavery when slavery basically only meant that your wages would be lower? The norths push for taxes on exports which affected the south cotton exports is the real reason for the war.

You tell me ???

Make your case
Make yer case.
Wtf ???

It is essentially the same thing you said, it's like slavery but with the extra steps. Did the Jews enjoy being enslaved?
How rude !!
It’s not the same thing
The Nazi flag was about the 3rd Reich and it’s conquest of earth and eliminating “inferior races”

You tell me ???

Make your case
What's your gut reaction when someone displays a swastika?

And here's some light reading for you if you're interested in what one state had to say about why it was seceding from the Union:
DECLARATION OF CAUSES: February 2, 1861 A declaration of the causes which impel the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union. | TSLAC
"The Federal Government, while but partially under the control of these our unnatural and sectional enemies, has for years almost entirely failed to protect the lives and property of the people of Texas against the Indian savages on our border, and more recently against the murderous forays of banditti from the neighboring territory of Mexico; and when our State government has expended large amounts for such purpose, the Federal Government has refused reimbursement therefor, thus rendering our condition more insecure and harrassing than it was during the existence of the Republic of Texas."
You started at paragraph six skipping right over paragraphs two and three which explains the belief of the people of Texas that it was their right to enslave black people. Paragraph 23 indicates that it was the will of God Almightly Himself that decreed this:
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated States to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility [sic] and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

The controlling majority of the Federal Government, under various pretences and disguises, has so administered the same as to exclude the citizens of the Southern States, unless under odious and unconstitutional restrictions, from all the immense territory owned in common by all the States on the Pacific Ocean, for the avowed purpose of acquiring sufficient power in the common government to use it as a means of destroying the institutions of Texas and her sister slave-holding States.

[snipped]
That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States.

If you read the document, while they did declare the right to slavery, their listing of reasons for leaving the Union was in the paragraph I quoted.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I guess.
I'd say my reading comprehension is at least equal to if not slightly better than yours if for no other reason than you listed one paragraph and seemed to imply that it was the sole reason for them seceding.

All three of the paragraphs I cited indicate their opinion that the black race was decreed to be subservient to the white race for all time, with the third paragraph indicating that this was God's will, however the end of the second paragraph specifically mention Texas's "sister slave-holding states". They could have worded it as their sister confederate states, but instead emphasized the fact that their sister states were "slave-holding".

So you have one paragraph stating one reason for them seceding and three different paragraphs in which they're making a case that they have the right to enslave the black race essentially because God allegedly made the black race inferior and the white race superior and this is what He wanted/

I have 3 out of 4 reasons saying it's slavery and you have one out of 4 saying it's because the federal government wouldn't help them protect their borders or reimburse them for the cost of their expenditures in providing that protection themselves.

When you have multiple reasons or pretexts for why something happened, generally it goes to the majority.
You are practicing lazy history, my friend. You have 3 paragraphs justifying slavery, but not as the reason for dissolving the union. And while you might SAY your reading comprehension is at least equal to mine, the evidence does not back up your claim. Bless your heart.
I am sorry but do you think that the feds own everyone else....if the US had the right to leave the BRIT rule, then by the same exact logic the southern states unhappy with the marriage to the northern states should have had the same right to leave their union much like a bad abusive marriage.

Forum List

Back