Is the Bible at least partially a lie?

It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I have read it four times cover to cover. All it is to me is a great book of never-ending riddles open to whatever interpretation you care to apply to them, it has never made sense to me, has never rang true. The book "Autbiography of a yogi" makes much more sense to me, explaining both the teachings of Christ and the science ... yes, science ... behind his so-called "miracles" which can all be done today by yogi adepts.
So, the Bible doesn't make sense to you. But you say nothing in this OP about lies. What lies are you talking about?
Watch the video.
I asked about the lies you're talking about, not the lies the video is talking about. Can you not articulate these lies?
I am obviously talking about the video, numb one. The video does a great job articulating them.
What do you think it's lying about?

When I was a Christian in my early 20s. Reading this made be begin to think.

This Awareness indicates that essentially, under Constantine, the concept of the Catholic or Universal, (Catholic meaning Universal) religion, the official Roman religion, as that which was a composite of various religious writings which were brought together to form that which is known as the Christian religion. That many of the writings were assembled from various sources, and brought into, and comprised those books of the Bible.

The Evolution of the Bible

This Awareness suggest, there is a book by Loyd Graham titled Deceptions and Myths in the Bible; that this book goes into the origin of the stories that have been related in the Old Testament, especially in the Old Testament, which were literally taken, in many cases word for word, or concept for concept from earlier writings. For example, the story of Noah and his four sons having been taken from writings which long predated the stories in the Old Testament and which used terms and names for the sons which were identical to those reported in the Old testament.

This Awareness indicates that the story of Moses as having been stolen from a Syrian myth that had come down in relation to an entity names Misis. This Awareness indicates that a great number of the stories within the Old Testament were simply the result of the Hebrew priests attempting to create a set of myths and stories by which they could organize their own religion, their own philosophy, in order to form a more cohesive society in those days. This Awareness indicates that the works of Loyd Graham go deeply into finding these earlier stories from Babylon, which was the source of the story of the garden of Eden, through Syrian and other cultures and Indian records and stories of India.

This Awareness indicates that even the New Testament is assembled from patterns related to stories taken from earlier sources, such as Zoroastrian, Mithrain, Krishna, Buddhism, and Egyptian, and others, in which many verses are literally paraphrasing earlier writings, and many of the stories attributed to the story of Jesus, were lifted directly out of these other writings. The story of Jesus at the well, as one which was taken from earlier writings. This Awareness indicates that it is of importance that entities realize the origins of the Bible did not come from the pen of God, but came from the earlier writings in different cultures and nations at the time these Hebrew priests put this work together. This Awareness indicates that these countries who were plagiarized then became labeled as heathen, - nations whose philosophies were heathenistic, but this was only after their stories had been stolen.

Most scholars today believe that the Hebrews emerged from the North Coast Canaanites of Syria.

I happen to agree with the theory that Abram came from a region in what is now Turkey. It mamkes more sense than the other 'Ur' for his trip south. The rest of your post is just somebody's speculation and a desire to claim the books of the bible are all plagarized, so you can then go about making up your own versions out of thin air like the Bauer school and Elaine Pagels and the rest of the hacks do, including the 'Constantine rewrote it' rubbish.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I have read it four times cover to cover. All it is to me is a great book of never-ending riddles open to whatever interpretation you care to apply to them, it has never made sense to me, has never rang true. The book "Autbiography of a yogi" makes much more sense to me, explaining both the teachings of Christ and the science ... yes, science ... behind his so-called "miracles" which can all be done today by yogi adepts.

No.

The Bible isn't a lie.. It had many, many authors over time and its not linear. It's also not science or history.

Funny, because people refer to the Bible routinely for historical information.

On the other hand, much of the Bible, in particular the historical books of the old testament, are as accurate historical documents as any that we have from antiquity and are in fact more accurate than many of the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or Greek histories.​
‘These Biblical records can be and are used as are other ancient documents in archeological work. For the most part, historical events described took place and the peoples cited really existed. This is not to say … that every event as reported in the historical books happened exactly as stated.’​
-Smithsonian Institution

They aren't accurate history at all. Joshua didn't have any huge armies and didn't destroy any Canaanite towns. The cities of the plain were long gone before Abraham's time. The Exodus wasn't 2 million people.. Even today Sinai only as a population of 800,000. Solomon's kingdom wasn't grand. There is zero evidence for a worldwide flood.

Every major civilization has a flood legend. Worldwide, so yes, there was a flood. My theory is that prior to the end of the last ice age mankind's villages were to be found along the continental shelf. As the ice melted the oceans rose hundreds of feet.

To early man, that would absolutely be thought of as a worldwide flood.

As the ice melted the glaciers retreated very slowly over thousands of years. Arabia was a savanna with shallow lakes and wadis 10,000 years ago.

You can check for flood sediment with core samples. Most of the really ancient civilizations never flooded.. Like Egypt for instance or Göbekli Tepe ..

Not true. The continental ice sheets started slowly, but then accelerated. I'm not saying that the flood was instant, but it was unrelenting, and when the Pillars of Hercules were breached to create the Mediterranean, THAT was a catastrophic flood.

The Black Sea breech was also a slow moving flood.. They had months to move their families and livestock to higher ground... an the timing coincides with the rapid spread of agriculture .

The Black Sea breach was slow at the beginning. Then it rushed in. Just like the Mediterranean. You are looking at the world from a modern perspective. Ancient man lived hundreds of feet below the current sea level.

If you want an example of what a great Flood can do look up the Channeled Scablands of Washington State.

Ripple marks that are up to 100 feet high. Hundred foot canyons cut through solid igneous rock in days. Then imagine that happening all over the world.

You think the Scablands are evidence for Noah's flood?

The Pleistocene Era ended 11,700 years ago ..

The Channeled Scablands are a barren, relatively soil-free landscape in eastern Washington, scoured clean by a flood unleashed when a large glacial lake drained.

They are a geologically unique erosional feature in the U.S. state of Washington. They were created by the cataclysmic Missoula Floods that swept periodically across eastern Washington and down the Columbia River Plateau during the Pleistocene epoch. Geologist J Harlen Bretz coined the term in a series of papers in the 1920s. Debate over the origin of the Scablands raged for four decades and is one of the great debates in the history of earth science. The Scablands are also important to planetary scientists as perhaps the best terrestrial analog for the Martian outflow channels.

No, I said imagine that sort of flood on a global scale. Ice dams suddenly breaking loose. We know of at least three instances of flooding preserved in the Scablands. Thus, it would have most likely been the same the world over.

You are still ignoring the fact that man lived more than 200 feet under the water from where we do now.

And yeah, I know what they are, I'm a geologist.

Nor am I religious. However, I do enjoy studying ancient man and the legends that have been passed down to us.

200 feet below sea level? Have you been to Jericho?

Nope. Jericho didn't exist at the time of the flood. Jericho's founding is at least 1000 years after the flood.

No.

The Bible isn't a lie.. It had many, many authors over time and its not linear. It's also not science or history.

On the other hand, much of the Bible, in particular the historical books of the old testament, are as accurate historical documents as any that we have from antiquity and are in fact more accurate than many of the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or Greek histories.​
‘These Biblical records can be and are used as are other ancient documents in archeological work. For the most part, historical events described took place and the peoples cited really existed. This is not to say … that every event as reported in the historical books happened exactly as stated.’​
-Smithsonian Institution

They aren't accurate history at all. Joshua didn't have any huge armies and didn't destroy any Canaanite towns. The cities of the plain were long gone before Abraham's time. The Exodus wasn't 2 million people.. Even today Sinai only as a population of 800,000. Solomon's kingdom wasn't grand. There is zero evidence for a worldwide flood.

Every major civilization has a flood legend. Worldwide, so yes, there was a flood. My theory is that prior to the end of the last ice age mankind's villages were to be found along the continental shelf. As the ice melted the oceans rose hundreds of feet.

As the ice melted the glaciers retreated very slowly over thousands of years. Arabia was a savanna with shallow lakes and wadis 10,000 years ago.

You can check for flood sediment with core samples. Most of the really ancient civilizations never flooded.. Like Egypt for instance or Göbekli Tepe ..

Not true. The continental ice sheets started slowly, but then accelerated. I'm not saying that the flood was instant, but it was unrelenting, and when the Pillars of Hercules were breached to create the Mediterranean, THAT was a catastrophic flood.

The Black Sea breech was also a slow moving flood.. They had months to move their families and livestock to higher ground... an the timing coincides with the rapid spread of agriculture .

The Black Sea breach was slow at the beginning. Then it rushed in. Just like the Mediterranean. You are looking at the world from a modern perspective. Ancient man lived hundreds of feet below the current sea level.

If you want an example of what a great Flood can do look up the Channeled Scablands of Washington State.

Ripple marks that are up to 100 feet high. Hundred foot canyons cut through solid igneous rock in days. Then imagine that happening all over the world.

The Channeled Scablands are a barren, relatively soil-free landscape in eastern Washington, scoured clean by a flood unleashed when a large glacial lake drained.

They are a geologically unique erosional feature in the U.S. state of Washington. They were created by the cataclysmic Missoula Floods that swept periodically across eastern Washington and down the Columbia River Plateau during the Pleistocene epoch. Geologist J Harlen Bretz coined the term in a series of papers in the 1920s. Debate over the origin of the Scablands raged for four decades and is one of the great debates in the history of earth science. The Scablands are also important to planetary scientists as perhaps the best terrestrial analog for the Martian outflow channels.

No, I said imagine that sort of flood on a global scale. Ice dams suddenly breaking loose. We know of at least three instances of flooding preserved in the Scablands. Thus, it would have most likely been the same the world over.

You are still ignoring the fact that man lived more than 200 feet under the water from where we do now.

Nor am I religious. However, I do enjoy studying ancient man and the legends that have been passed down to us.

Nope. Jericho didn't exist at the time of the flood. Jericho's founding is at least 1000 years after the flood.

The Natufians lived at the Jericho spring 15,000 years ago.

Natufians founded a settlement where Jericho is today, which may therefore be the longest continuously inhabited urban area on Earth. Some evidence suggests deliberate cultivation of cereals, specifically rye, by the Natufian culture, at Tell Abu Hureyra, the site of earliest evidence of agriculture in the world.
Dates: 15,000–11,500 BP
Geographical range: Levant
Period: Epipaleolithic
Type site: Shuqba cave (Wadi an-Natuf)
Natufian culture - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natufian_culture

• Ugarit - Quartz Hill School of Theology
    www.theology.edu/ugarit.htm
    Ugarit. I. Archeological Background. The excavation of Ugarit began at a site known as Minet el-Beida, the "White Harbor", on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea north of Beirut, now in Syria. From antiquity to the present, the site has been an important seaport.
  • Ugarit and the Bible - Quartz Hill School of Theology
    www.theology.edu/ugarbib.htm
    The ancient Canaanite city-state of Ugarit is of utmost importance for those who study the Old Testament. The literature of the city and the theology contained therein go a very long way in helping us to understand the meaning of various Biblical passages as well as aiding us in deciphering difficult Hebrew words.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

Natufians founded a settlement where Jericho is today, which may therefore be the longest continuously inhabited urban area on Earth. Some evidence suggests deliberate cultivation of cereals, specifically rye, by the Natufian culture, at Tell Abu Hureyra, the site of earliest evidence of agriculture in the world.
View attachment 460376

Wiki isn't a reliable source. Find a scholarly source. There are sites in Turkey that are older than Jericho. There are grave sites in Northern Ukraine that date to at least 12,000 bce that indicate a high level of civilization to create. The attendant villages are only now being searched for.

The amount we don’t know of ancient man is staggering. But none of what you say matters anyway. One city doesn't negate my theory, nor is it even exceptional. Even now with the vast majority of mankind living at sea level there are still cultures that live high in the Himalayas. You want to use Nepal as your metric for what the whole world looks like?

That's myopic, but that's what you are doing

Most of the writing is original, not 'stolen'. It's a trick of using the same descriptive wording to create a false narrative when comparing biblical stories to other stories from pagan mythologies. For instance using the term 'resurrection' from Christian theology in describing the grotesque cartoonish Frankenstein-like zombie story of Osiris from Egyptian mythology. They aren't even remotely 'the same', and the conflation is a dishonest one.

As for the events like the Flood, for instance, they derive from ancient peoples finding seabed fossils at high elevations, even the Himalayas have them, so it is a natural assumption for such peoples to make, almost anywhere on the planet. that isn't a 'lie', it's an attempt at explanation. Nobody has to 'steal' such an explanation from anybody.

The OT flood myth appears to be adapted from a much older story from Sumer about a king who hauled beer, livestock and grain downriver on barges... circa 2900 BC.

Noah's Ark and the Ziusudra Epic, a mythology book.
The ark was a commercial river barge that was hauling grain, beer, and other cargo including a few hundred animals when the storm began. The runaway barge floated down the river into the Persian (Arabian) Gulf where it grounded in an estuary at the mouth of the Euphrates River.

If I recall correctly, that would be the story with Enlil and Enki and Enlil wanted to get rid of the humans because they were to loud and Enki saved them by telling them about what Enlil was going to do.

Yep.. The gods thought humans were too noisy.

In the Babylonian flood myth, Enlil is the cause of the flood himself, having sent the flood to exterminate the human race, who made too much noise and prevented him from sleeping.

In the later Akkadian version of the flood story, recorded in the Epic of Gilgamesh, Enlil actually causes the flood, seeking to annihilate every living thing on earth because the humans, who are vastly overpopulated, make too much noise and prevent him from sleeping. In this version of the story, the hero is Utnapishtim, who is warned ahead of time by Ea, the Babylonian equivalent of Enki, that the flood is coming. The flood lasts for seven days; when it ends, Ishtar, who had mourned the destruction of humanity, promises Utnapishtim that Enlil will never cause a flood again.

And this resembles the OT versions how?

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

Well for one other peoples besides Hebrews followed Moses out of Egypt and around the wilderness. People who don't actually read the books and are merely interested in discrediting it for whatever agenda will beleive anything they read about that is negative. Their misinformation is corrupted by the fact that as Christianity became more popular all of the pagan sects began rewriting their own materials in order to compete with it, including the remaining Pharisees that invented rabbinical Judaism in the 2nd Century A.D.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

Yes, and I am pretty sure the city of Nazareth didn't exist but was actually a sect of Essenes or Gnostics.

The expression 'Jesus of Nazareth' is actually a bad translation of the original Greek 'Jesous o Nazoraios' (see below). More accurately, we should speak of 'Jesus the Nazarene' where Nazarene has a meaning quite unrelated to a place name. But just what is that meaning and how did it get applied to a small village? The highly ambiguous Hebrew root of the name is NZR.

The 2nd century gnostic Gospel of Philip offers this explanation:

'The apostles that came before us called him Jesus Nazarene the Christ ..."Nazara" is the "Truth". Therefore 'Nazarene' is "The One of the Truth" ...'
– Gospel of Philip, 47.

What we do know is that 'Nazarene' (or 'Nazorean') was originally the name of an early Jewish-Christian sect – a faction, or off-shoot, of the Essenes. They had no particular relation to a city of Nazareth. The root of their name may have been 'Truth' or it may have been the Hebrew noun 'netser' ('netzor'), meaning 'branch' or 'flower.' The plural of 'Netzor' becomes 'Netzoreem.' There is no mention of the Nazarenes in any of Paul's writings, although ironically, Paul is himself accused of being a Nazorean in Acts of the Apostles. The reference scarcely means that Paul was a resident of Nazareth (we all know the guy hails from Tarsus!).

'For finding this man a pest, and moving sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a leader of the sect of the Nazaraeans.' – Acts 24.5. (Darby Translation).

The Gnostics fabricated a lot of rubbish. Your own post actually just confirms that.

So, the Bible doesn't make sense to you. But you say nothing in this OP about lies. What lies are you talking about?
Watch the video.
I asked about the lies you're talking about, not the lies the video is talking about. Can you not articulate these lies?
I am obviously talking about the video, numb one. The video does a great job articulating them.
What do you think it's lying about?
WATCH THE FREAKING VIDEO, NUMBNUTS!!!

When I was a Christian in my early 20s. Reading this made be begin to think.

This Awareness indicates that essentially, under Constantine, the concept of the Catholic or Universal, (Catholic meaning Universal) religion, the official Roman religion, as that which was a composite of various religious writings which were brought together to form that which is known as the Christian religion. That many of the writings were assembled from various sources, and brought into, and comprised those books of the Bible.

The Evolution of the Bible

This Awareness suggest, there is a book by Loyd Graham titled Deceptions and Myths in the Bible; that this book goes into the origin of the stories that have been related in the Old Testament, especially in the Old Testament, which were literally taken, in many cases word for word, or concept for concept from earlier writings. For example, the story of Noah and his four sons having been taken from writings which long predated the stories in the Old Testament and which used terms and names for the sons which were identical to those reported in the Old testament.

This Awareness indicates that the story of Moses as having been stolen from a Syrian myth that had come down in relation to an entity names Misis. This Awareness indicates that a great number of the stories within the Old Testament were simply the result of the Hebrew priests attempting to create a set of myths and stories by which they could organize their own religion, their own philosophy, in order to form a more cohesive society in those days. This Awareness indicates that the works of Loyd Graham go deeply into finding these earlier stories from Babylon, which was the source of the story of the garden of Eden, through Syrian and other cultures and Indian records and stories of India.

This Awareness indicates that even the New Testament is assembled from patterns related to stories taken from earlier sources, such as Zoroastrian, Mithrain, Krishna, Buddhism, and Egyptian, and others, in which many verses are literally paraphrasing earlier writings, and many of the stories attributed to the story of Jesus, were lifted directly out of these other writings. The story of Jesus at the well, as one which was taken from earlier writings. This Awareness indicates that it is of importance that entities realize the origins of the Bible did not come from the pen of God, but came from the earlier writings in different cultures and nations at the time these Hebrew priests put this work together. This Awareness indicates that these countries who were plagiarized then became labeled as heathen, - nations whose philosophies were heathenistic, but this was only after their stories had been stolen.

Most scholars today believe that the Hebrews emerged from the North Coast Canaanites of Syria.

I happen to agree with the theory that Abram came from a region in what is now Turkey. It mamkes more sense than the other 'Ur' for his trip south. The rest of your post is just somebody's speculation and a desire to claim the books of the bible are all plagarized, so you can then go about making up your own versions out of thin air like the Bauer school and Elaine Pagels and the rest of the hacks do, including the 'Constantine rewrote it' rubbish.

The stories from Judah and Israel were different and were cobbled together during the time of King Omri.

Why don't you just apply your science to prove which part is a lie?!!!!!!! You can't?

Your "omnipotent" god whose name being Science must be a joke then. lol.
Why don't you apply your science and prove it is not a lie?!!!!!!! You can't?
Your "omnipotent" god who's truth can't be proven must be a joke then. lol.
laughing 7.gif

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

View attachment 460376

Wiki isn't a reliable source. Find a scholarly source. There are sites in Turkey that are older than Jericho. There are grave sites in Northern Ukraine that date to at least 12,000 bce that indicate a high level of civilization to create. The attendant villages are only now being searched for.

The amount we don’t know of ancient man is staggering. But none of what you say matters anyway. One city doesn't negate my theory, nor is it even exceptional. Even now with the vast majority of mankind living at sea level there are still cultures that live high in the Himalayas. You want to use Nepal as your metric for what the whole world looks like?

That's myopic, but that's what you are doing

Haven't you been to Jericho? The site is 15,000 years old and there is evidence of the Natufians all over the Levant.

A 12,000-year-old Shaman burial from the southern Levant ...
Nov 18, 2008 · The Natufians of the southern Levant (15,000–11,500 cal BP) underwent pronounced socioeconomic changes associated with the onset of sedentism and the shift from a foraging to farming lifestyle. Excavations at the 12,000-year-old Natufian cave site, Hilazon Tachtit (Israel), have revealed a grave that provides a rare opportunity to investigate the ideological …
  • Cited by: 181
  • Publish Year: 2008

They found stone granaries in Jordan that are 14,000 years old.

DudleySmith

westwall

Epipaleolithic

Excerpt:

As the team analyzed the crumbs further, they found out that the Natufians were sophisticated cooks. Their flour was made from two different types of ingredients — wild wheat called einkorn and the roots of club-rush tubers, a type of a flowering plant. That particular combination allowed them to make pliable elastic dough that could be pressed onto the walls of their fireplace pits, much like flatbreads are baked today in tandoori overs — and baked to perfection. Besides the einkorn and tubers, the team also found traces of barley and oats.

The Natufians may have had rather developed taste buds, too. They liked to toss some spices and condiments into their dishes, particularly mustard seeds. “We found a lot of wild mustard seeds, not in the bread but in the overall assemblage,” says Gonzalez Carretero.

But, she adds, mustard seeds had also been found in some bread remains excavated from other sites, so it’s possible that Natufians sprinkled a few on their own pastries. So far, the team has analyzed only 25 breadcrumbs with about 600 more to go, so they think chances are good that some charred pieces with mustard seeds might turn up. Arranz-Otaegui thinks it’s possible. “The seeds have [a] very particular taste, so why not use them?”

Exactly how delicious was this special Natufian treat? It’s hard to tell. Modern-day bread recipes don’t include ancient wheat or roots of tuberous plants. But Arranz-Otaegui does want to find out how the Epipaleolithic bread played on the palate. She has been gathering the einkorn seeds, as well as peeling and grinding the tubers. She plans to partner up with a skilled chef and baker to reconstruct the exact mixture in correct proportions.

In archaeology, the Epipalaeolithic or Epipaleolithic (sometimes Epi-paleolithic etc.) is a term for a period occurring between the Upper Paleolithic and Neolithic during the Stone Age. Mesolithic also falls between these two periods, and the two are sometimes confused or used as synonyms.

Why did the author write the story; what was his point?
Why did you read the story; what did you hope to gain from it?

How far apart are the answers from these two questions? A few read the Bible for reason to believe in God; a few read it for reason not to believe in God. Everyone else reads it because it provides life material to mull over.

Why did the author write the story; what was his point?
Why did you read the story; what did you hope to gain from it?

How far apart are the answers from these two questions? A few read the Bible for reason to believe in God; a few read it for reason not to believe in God. Everyone else reads it because it provides life material to mull over.

Some people study the Bible and the Archaeology and the history of the ancient Levant.... They are interested in the Ugaritic texts and the tablets at Dilmun, the Nag Hamadi, ancient Sumer, Byblos, Baalbek etc.

Some people study the Bible and the Archaeology and the history of the ancient Levant.... They are interested in the Ugaritic texts and the tablets at Dilmun, the Nag Hamadi, ancient Sumer, Byblos, Baalbek etc.
Absolutely. Anthropology, culture, language are also a big part of understanding the original intent.

Forum List

Back