Is the Bible at least partially a lie?

When I was a Christian in my early 20s. Reading this made be begin to think.

This Awareness indicates that essentially, under Constantine, the concept of the Catholic or Universal, (Catholic meaning Universal) religion, the official Roman religion, as that which was a composite of various religious writings which were brought together to form that which is known as the Christian religion. That many of the writings were assembled from various sources, and brought into, and comprised those books of the Bible.

The Evolution of the Bible

This Awareness suggest, there is a book by Loyd Graham titled Deceptions and Myths in the Bible; that this book goes into the origin of the stories that have been related in the Old Testament, especially in the Old Testament, which were literally taken, in many cases word for word, or concept for concept from earlier writings. For example, the story of Noah and his four sons having been taken from writings which long predated the stories in the Old Testament and which used terms and names for the sons which were identical to those reported in the Old testament.

This Awareness indicates that the story of Moses as having been stolen from a Syrian myth that had come down in relation to an entity names Misis. This Awareness indicates that a great number of the stories within the Old Testament were simply the result of the Hebrew priests attempting to create a set of myths and stories by which they could organize their own religion, their own philosophy, in order to form a more cohesive society in those days. This Awareness indicates that the works of Loyd Graham go deeply into finding these earlier stories from Babylon, which was the source of the story of the garden of Eden, through Syrian and other cultures and Indian records and stories of India.

This Awareness indicates that even the New Testament is assembled from patterns related to stories taken from earlier sources, such as Zoroastrian, Mithrain, Krishna, Buddhism, and Egyptian, and others, in which many verses are literally paraphrasing earlier writings, and many of the stories attributed to the story of Jesus, were lifted directly out of these other writings. The story of Jesus at the well, as one which was taken from earlier writings. This Awareness indicates that it is of importance that entities realize the origins of the Bible did not come from the pen of God, but came from the earlier writings in different cultures and nations at the time these Hebrew priests put this work together. This Awareness indicates that these countries who were plagiarized then became labeled as heathen, - nations whose philosophies were heathenistic, but this was only after their stories had been stolen.

This is ignorant and utterly misguided. The “Jesus myth” claim has been debunked six ways from Sunday. No historian worth their salt denies that Jesus was a real person who walked this earth 2000 years ago. But I noticed that anti-Christians periodically try re-throwing that crap against the wall to see if it will stick. And it never does Why? Because it's so easy to disprove their claims.

Here’s a video for you to watch:

Ok, just wait another 2,000 years for Jesus to come back. We will see what happens. :auiqs.jpg:

View attachment 460230

We will. And if Jesus does not return in the next 2000 years, then we will wait another 2000 years.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I have read it four times cover to cover. All it is to me is a great book of never-ending riddles open to whatever interpretation you care to apply to them, it has never made sense to me, has never rang true. The book "Autbiography of a yogi" makes much more sense to me, explaining both the teachings of Christ and the science ... yes, science ... behind his so-called "miracles" which can all be done today by yogi adepts.

No.

The Bible isn't a lie.. It had many, many authors over time and its not linear. It's also not science or history.

Funny, because people refer to the Bible routinely for historical information.

On the other hand, much of the Bible, in particular the historical books of the old testament, are as accurate historical documents as any that we have from antiquity and are in fact more accurate than many of the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or Greek histories.​
‘These Biblical records can be and are used as are other ancient documents in archeological work. For the most part, historical events described took place and the peoples cited really existed. This is not to say … that every event as reported in the historical books happened exactly as stated.’​
-Smithsonian Institution

They aren't accurate history at all. Joshua didn't have any huge armies and didn't destroy any Canaanite towns. The cities of the plain were long gone before Abraham's time. The Exodus wasn't 2 million people.. Even today Sinai only as a population of 800,000. Solomon's kingdom wasn't grand. There is zero evidence for a worldwide flood.

Every major civilization has a flood legend. Worldwide, so yes, there was a flood. My theory is that prior to the end of the last ice age mankind's villages were to be found along the continental shelf. As the ice melted the oceans rose hundreds of feet.

To early man, that would absolutely be thought of as a worldwide flood.

As the ice melted the glaciers retreated very slowly over thousands of years. Arabia was a savanna with shallow lakes and wadis 10,000 years ago.

You can check for flood sediment with core samples. Most of the really ancient civilizations never flooded.. Like Egypt for instance or Göbekli Tepe ..

Yeah, we know this. Both Egypt and Gobekli were post flood. The dating, as is universal, is wrong.

The Gilgamesh story is much older than Genesis... and recorded on clay tablets in Sumer, Ugarit and Dilmun a thousand years earlier. In fact by the time the Hebrews came a long Sumer already had agriculture, irrigation, a written language and sailboats.

The Iron Age kingdoms of Israel (or Samaria) and Judah first appear in the 9th century BCE .

Right, I understand that the Hebrew story was passed on by word of mouth, for a long time before it was written.
That doesn't mean that Gilgamesh is older than Genesis. It just means you don't have evidence of it, because the Genesis story wasn't written down.

You can make the claim... that's fine. But that isn't proof.

You claim that the cities came later, but there is still NO flood sediment. NO flood footprint.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I have read it four times cover to cover. All it is to me is a great book of never-ending riddles open to whatever interpretation you care to apply to them, it has never made sense to me, has never rang true. The book "Autbiography of a yogi" makes much more sense to me, explaining both the teachings of Christ and the science ... yes, science ... behind his so-called "miracles" which can all be done today by yogi adepts.

No.

The Bible isn't a lie.. It had many, many authors over time and its not linear. It's also not science or history.

On the other hand, much of the Bible, in particular the historical books of the old testament, are as accurate historical documents as any that we have from antiquity and are in fact more accurate than many of the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or Greek histories.​
‘These Biblical records can be and are used as are other ancient documents in archeological work. For the most part, historical events described took place and the peoples cited really existed. This is not to say … that every event as reported in the historical books happened exactly as stated.’​
-Smithsonian Institution

They aren't accurate history at all. Joshua didn't have any huge armies and didn't destroy any Canaanite towns. The cities of the plain were long gone before Abraham's time. The Exodus wasn't 2 million people.. Even today Sinai only as a population of 800,000. Solomon's kingdom wasn't grand. There is zero evidence for a worldwide flood.

Every major civilization has a flood legend. Worldwide, so yes, there was a flood. My theory is that prior to the end of the last ice age mankind's villages were to be found along the continental shelf. As the ice melted the oceans rose hundreds of feet.

As the ice melted the glaciers retreated very slowly over thousands of years. Arabia was a savanna with shallow lakes and wadis 10,000 years ago.

You can check for flood sediment with core samples. Most of the really ancient civilizations never flooded.. Like Egypt for instance or Göbekli Tepe ..

Yeah, we know this. Both Egypt and Gobekli were post flood. The dating, as is universal, is wrong.

The Gilgamesh story is much older than Genesis... and recorded on clay tablets in Sumer, Ugarit and Dilmun a thousand years earlier. In fact by the time the Hebrews came a long Sumer already had agriculture, irrigation, a written language and sailboats.

The Iron Age kingdoms of Israel (or Samaria) and Judah first appear in the 9th century BCE .

Right, I understand that the Hebrew story was passed on by word of mouth, for a long time before it was written.
That doesn't mean that Gilgamesh is older than Genesis. It just means you don't have evidence of it, because the Genesis story wasn't written down.

You claim that the cities came later, but there is still NO flood sediment. NO flood footprint.

You do understand how scientific proof works, right? You can't prove a negative. Before the microscope, if someone said there was no evidence that germs existed, they would be technically correct. That doesn't mean it proves they didn't exist.

Nevertheless, post where you are getting your claim from. I'll read it.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

You do understand how scientific proof works, right? You can't prove a negative. Before the microscope, if someone said there was no evidence that germs existed, they would be technically correct. That doesn't mean it proves they didn't exist.

Take core samples.. if a city was built later a core sample would still reveal the existence of flood sediment. Saudi Arabia wasn't flooded. The whole peninsula has tilted to the east, mountains and plateau rose up in the west and the Dead Sea Rift runs from the Red Sea to Tarsus... 25 to30 million years ago.

Noah was a petty king of Sumer in 2900 BC and the flood covered the Euphrates River Basin.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

Floods leave a footprint.. sediment.

The Noah story is taken from stories about the flooding of the Euphrates River Basin... and there is a footprint..150 miles across and 350 miles south.

That's what built the delta south of Basra.

They periodically had major floods when spring snow melt from the mountains combined with Spring rains... Most lasted as long as 4-5 days.

The basin is basically flat so the flood didn't cover the mountains by 22 feet.

The evidence of the flood is hundreds of feet underwater. There are villages dotted along the continental shelf in the Black Sea.

No matter where you are in the world, the people have a legend of a great flood. That means there was a global flood. The whole world obviously didn't become a waterworld, but mankind settles along shorelines. Always has, always will.

During the late Pleistocene the continental ice sheets melted. That caused ocean levels world wide to rise by over 200 feet. The Mediterranean Sea didn't exist. The Black Sea didn't exist.

Then, all of a sudden. The oceans begin to rise, displacing all of those people, but more importantly for the Biblical version of the flood. The Pillars of Hercules were breached and the waters rushed in. The Mediterranean Sea wad born, and all of the people who used to live in the big valley had to move. And move quickly.

That is where the Biblical version of the Flood originates.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

Not true. The continental ice sheets started slowly, but then accelerated. I'm not saying that the flood was instant, but it was unrelenting, and when the Pillars of Hercules were breached to create the Mediterranean, THAT was a catastrophic flood.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

The Flood was long before. I figure at least 12,000 years ago.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

Not true. The continental ice sheets started slowly, but then accelerated. I'm not saying that the flood was instant, but it was unrelenting, and when the Pillars of Hercules were breached to create the Mediterranean, THAT was a catastrophic flood.

The Black Sea breech was also a slow moving flood.. They had months to move their families and livestock to higher ground... an the timing coincides with the rapid spread of agriculture .

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

The Black Sea breech was also a slow moving flood.. They had months to move their families and livestock to higher ground... an the timing coincides with the rapid spread of agriculture .
Must have been due to Gorebal warming!!!!! Camel farts and alll!!!!!!

(snicker)

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

Take core samples.. if a city was built later a core sample would still reveal the existence of flood sediment. Saudi Arabia wasn't flooded. The whole peninsula has tilted to the east, mountains and plateau rose up in the west and the Dead Sea Rift runs from the Red Sea to Tarsus... 25 to30 million years ago.

Noah was a petty king of Sumer in 2900 BC and the flood covered the Euphrates River Basin.

Evidence please.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

The Black Sea breach was slow at the beginning. Then it rushed in. Just like the Mediterranean. You are looking at the world from a modern perspective. Ancient man lived hundreds of feet below the current sea level.

If you want an example of what a great Flood can do look up the Channeled Scablands of Washington State.

Ripple marks that are up to 100 feet high. Hundred foot canyons cut through solid igneous rock in days. Then imagine that happening all over the world.

I do believe in Jesus. But there is not a single word in the Bible directly from him, it is all "he said", "he did" stuff that could just as well have been written by one of Timothy Leary's desciples snorting too much LSD. Autobiography of a Yogi made me believe in Jesus, the Bible didn't. I believe that "God" is within, not without. I believe "God" is a universal force, cosmic law if you will. I do not believe in some anthropomorphic all-knowing being. I believe the Bible was assembled by the Church with the express aim of controlling the people through fear. One of the most important books, the Book Of Enoch, was deliberately omitted.

The older sections of Enoch (mainly in the Book of the Watchers) are estimated to date from about 300–200 BC, and the latest part (Book of Parables) probably to 100 BC. .

Why do you think the Book of Enoch is so important?

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

The Black Sea breach was slow at the beginning. Then it rushed in. Just like the Mediterranean. You are looking at the world from a modern perspective. Ancient man lived hundreds of feet below the current sea level.

If you want an example of what a great Flood can do look up the Channeled Scablands of Washington State.

Ripple marks that are up to 100 feet high. Hundred foot canyons cut through solid igneous rock in days. Then imagine that happening all over the world.

You think the Scablands are evidence for Noah's flood?

The Pleistocene Era ended 11,700 years ago ..

The Channeled Scablands are a barren, relatively soil-free landscape in eastern Washington, scoured clean by a flood unleashed when a large glacial lake drained.

They are a geologically unique erosional feature in the U.S. state of Washington. They were created by the cataclysmic Missoula Floods that swept periodically across eastern Washington and down the Columbia River Plateau during the Pleistocene epoch. Geologist J Harlen Bretz coined the term in a series of papers in the 1920s. Debate over the origin of the Scablands raged for four decades and is one of the great debates in the history of earth science. The Scablands are also important to planetary scientists as perhaps the best terrestrial analog for the Martian outflow channels.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

The Channeled Scablands are a barren, relatively soil-free landscape in eastern Washington, scoured clean by a flood unleashed when a large glacial lake drained.

They are a geologically unique erosional feature in the U.S. state of Washington. They were created by the cataclysmic Missoula Floods that swept periodically across eastern Washington and down the Columbia River Plateau during the Pleistocene epoch. Geologist J Harlen Bretz coined the term in a series of papers in the 1920s. Debate over the origin of the Scablands raged for four decades and is one of the great debates in the history of earth science. The Scablands are also important to planetary scientists as perhaps the best terrestrial analog for the Martian outflow channels.

No, I said imagine that sort of flood on a global scale. Ice dams suddenly breaking loose. We know of at least three instances of flooding preserved in the Scablands. Thus, it would have most likely been the same the world over.

You are still ignoring the fact that man lived more than 200 feet under the water from where we do now.

And yeah, I know what they are, I'm a geologist.

Nor am I religious. However, I do enjoy studying ancient man and the legends that have been passed down to us.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

No, I said imagine that sort of flood on a global scale. Ice dams suddenly breaking loose. We know of at least three instances of flooding preserved in the Scablands. Thus, it would have most likely been the same the world over.

You are still ignoring the fact that man lived more than 200 feet under the water from where we do now.

LOLOL.. Even the big floods that left obvious evidence happened 10s of thousands of years apart.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

And yeah, I know what they are, I'm a geologist.

Nor am I religious. However, I do enjoy studying ancient man and the legends that have been passed down to us.

200 feet below sea level? Have you been to Jericho?

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

I don't think he said that the scablands were evidence of Noah's flood. I think he said that is evidence of what a Noah's flood could cause.

So, the Bible doesn't make sense to you. But you say nothing in this OP about lies. What lies are you talking about?
Watch the video.
I asked about the lies you're talking about, not the lies the video is talking about. Can you not articulate these lies?

So, the Bible doesn't make sense to you. But you say nothing in this OP about lies. What lies are you talking about?
Watch the video.
I asked about the lies you're talking about, not the lies the video is talking about. Can you not articulate these lies?
I am obviously talking about the video, numb one. The video does a great job articulating them.

Forum List

Back