Is the Bible at least partially a lie?

Most of the writing is original, not 'stolen'. It's a trick of using the same descriptive wording to create a false narrative when comparing biblical stories to other stories from pagan mythologies. For instance using the term 'resurrection' from Christian theology in describing the grotesque cartoonish Frankenstein-like zombie story of Osiris from Egyptian mythology. They aren't even remotely 'the same', and the conflation is a dishonest one.

As for the events like the Flood, for instance, they derive from ancient peoples finding seabed fossils at high elevations, even the Himalayas have them, so it is a natural assumption for such peoples to make, almost anywhere on the planet. that isn't a 'lie', it's an attempt at explanation. Nobody has to 'steal' such an explanation from anybody.

Last edited:
When I was a Christian in my early 20s. Reading this made be begin to think.

This Awareness indicates that essentially, under Constantine, the concept of the Catholic or Universal, (Catholic meaning Universal) religion, the official Roman religion, as that which was a composite of various religious writings which were brought together to form that which is known as the Christian religion. That many of the writings were assembled from various sources, and brought into, and comprised those books of the Bible.

The Evolution of the Bible

This Awareness suggest, there is a book by Loyd Graham titled Deceptions and Myths in the Bible; that this book goes into the origin of the stories that have been related in the Old Testament, especially in the Old Testament, which were literally taken, in many cases word for word, or concept for concept from earlier writings. For example, the story of Noah and his four sons having been taken from writings which long predated the stories in the Old Testament and which used terms and names for the sons which were identical to those reported in the Old testament.

This Awareness indicates that the story of Moses as having been stolen from a Syrian myth that had come down in relation to an entity names Misis. This Awareness indicates that a great number of the stories within the Old Testament were simply the result of the Hebrew priests attempting to create a set of myths and stories by which they could organize their own religion, their own philosophy, in order to form a more cohesive society in those days. This Awareness indicates that the works of Loyd Graham go deeply into finding these earlier stories from Babylon, which was the source of the story of the garden of Eden, through Syrian and other cultures and Indian records and stories of India.

This Awareness indicates that even the New Testament is assembled from patterns related to stories taken from earlier sources, such as Zoroastrian, Mithrain, Krishna, Buddhism, and Egyptian, and others, in which many verses are literally paraphrasing earlier writings, and many of the stories attributed to the story of Jesus, were lifted directly out of these other writings. The story of Jesus at the well, as one which was taken from earlier writings. This Awareness indicates that it is of importance that entities realize the origins of the Bible did not come from the pen of God, but came from the earlier writings in different cultures and nations at the time these Hebrew priests put this work together. This Awareness indicates that these countries who were plagiarized then became labeled as heathen, - nations whose philosophies were heathenistic, but this was only after their stories had been stolen.

Most scholars today believe that the Hebrews emerged from the North Coast Canaanites of Syria.

Most of the writing is original, not 'stolen'. It's a trick of using the same descriptive wording to create a false narrative when comparing biblical stories to other stories from pagan mythologies. For instance using the term 'resurrection' from Christian theology in describing the grotesque cartoonish Frankenstein-like zombie story of Osiris from Egyptian mythology. They aren't even remotely 'the same', and the conflation is a dishonest one.

As for the events like the Flood, for instance, they derive from ancient peoples finding seabed fossils at high elevations, even the Himalayas have them, so it is a natural assumption for such peoples to make, almost anywhere on the planet. that isn't a 'lie', it's an attempt at explanation. Nobody has to 'steal' such an explanation from anybody.

The OT flood myth appears to be adapted from a much older story from Sumer about a king who hauled beer, livestock and grain downriver on barges... circa 2900 BC.

Noah's Ark and the Ziusudra Epic, a mythology book.
The ark was a commercial river barge that was hauling grain, beer, and other cargo including a few hundred animals when the storm began. The runaway barge floated down the river into the Persian (Arabian) Gulf where it grounded in an estuary at the mouth of the Euphrates River.

Last edited:

This Awareness indicates that essentially, under Constantine, the concept of the Catholic or Universal, (Catholic meaning Universal) religion, the official Roman religion, as that which was a composite of various religious writings which were brought together to form that which is known as the Christian religion. That many of the writings were assembled from various sources, and brought into, and comprised those books of the Bible.

This Awareness suggest, there is a book by Loyd Graham titled Deceptions and Myths in the Bible; that this book goes into the origin of the stories that have been related in the Old Testament, especially in the Old Testament, which were literally taken, in many cases word for word, or concept for concept from earlier writings. For example, the story of Noah and his four sons having been taken from writings which long predated the stories in the Old Testament and which used terms and names for the sons which were identical to those reported in the Old testament.

This Awareness indicates that the story of Moses as having been stolen from a Syrian myth that had come down in relation to an entity names Misis. This Awareness indicates that a great number of the stories within the Old Testament were simply the result of the Hebrew priests attempting to create a set of myths and stories by which they could organize their own religion, their own philosophy, in order to form a more cohesive society in those days. This Awareness indicates that the works of Loyd Graham go deeply into finding these earlier stories from Babylon, which was the source of the story of the garden of Eden, through Syrian and other cultures and Indian records and stories of India.

This Awareness indicates that even the New Testament is assembled from patterns related to stories taken from earlier sources, such as Zoroastrian, Mithrain, Krishna, Buddhism, and Egyptian, and others, in which many verses are literally paraphrasing earlier writings, and many of the stories attributed to the story of Jesus, were lifted directly out of these other writings. The story of Jesus at the well, as one which was taken from earlier writings. This Awareness indicates that it is of importance that entities realize the origins of the Bible did not come from the pen of God, but came from the earlier writings in different cultures and nations at the time these Hebrew priests put this work together. This Awareness indicates that these countries who were plagiarized then became labeled as heathen, - nations whose philosophies were heathenistic, but this was only after their stories had been stolen.

Most scholars today believe that the Hebrews emerged from the North Coast Canaanites of Syria.

Hence Syrian myths.

The OT flood myth appears to be adapted from a much older story from Sumer about a king who hauled beer, livestock and grain downriver on barges... circa 2900 BC.

The ark was a commercial river barge that was hauling grain, beer, and other cargo including a few hundred animals when the storm began. The runaway barge floated down the river into the Persian (Arabian) Gulf where it grounded in an estuary at the mouth of the Euphrates River.

If I recall correctly, that would be the story with Enlil and Enki and Enlil wanted to get rid of the humans because they were to loud and Enki saved them by telling them about what Enlil was going to do.

Hence Syrian myths.

Bible and Torah scholars are studying the Ugarit tablets these days. Its at Ras Shamra in NW Syria.

What's Ugaritic Got to Do with Anything?
Ugaritic, the language of ancient Ugarit (in modern Syria), isn’t something that most people think about when it comes to Bible study. However, the clay tablets discovered and deciphered in the late 1920s and early 1930s provide an unparalleled glimpse into the life and religious worldview of the ancient Israelites.

If I recall correctly, that would be the story with Enlil and Enki and Enlil wanted to get rid of the humans because they were to loud and Enki saved them by telling them about what Enlil was going to do.

Yep.. The gods thought humans were too noisy.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I have read it four times cover to cover. All it is to me is a great book of never-ending riddles open to whatever interpretation you care to apply to them, it has never made sense to me, has never rang true. The book "Autbiography of a yogi" makes much more sense to me, explaining both the teachings of Christ and the science ... yes, science ... behind his so-called "miracles" which can all be done today by yogi adepts.

No.

Ugarit - New World Encyclopedia

Though the site is thought to have been inhabited earlier, Neolithic Ugarit was already important enough to be fortified with a wall early on, perhaps by 6000 B.C.E., making it one of the world's earliest known walled cities. The first written evidence mentioning the city by name comes from the nearby city of Ebla, ca. 1800 B.C.E. By this time Ugarit had passed into the sphere of influence of Egypt, which …

It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I have read it four times cover to cover. All it is to me is a great book of never-ending riddles open to whatever interpretation you care to apply to them, it has never made sense to me, has never rang true. The book "Autbiography of a yogi" makes much more sense to me, explaining both the teachings of Christ and the science ... yes, science ... behind his so-called "miracles" which can all be done today by yogi adepts.

No.

The Bible isn't a lie.. It had many, many authors over time and its not linear. It's also not science or history.

No. It is a hygiene and sanitary practices manual, with a bunch of history thrown in. The historical references in the Bible are pretty darn accurate.

Yep.. The gods thought humans were too noisy.

In the Babylonian flood myth, Enlil is the cause of the flood himself, having sent the flood to exterminate the human race, who made too much noise and prevented him from sleeping.

In the later Akkadian version of the flood story, recorded in the Epic of Gilgamesh, Enlil actually causes the flood, seeking to annihilate every living thing on earth because the humans, who are vastly overpopulated, make too much noise and prevent him from sleeping. In this version of the story, the hero is Utnapishtim, who is warned ahead of time by Ea, the Babylonian equivalent of Enki, that the flood is coming. The flood lasts for seven days; when it ends, Ishtar, who had mourned the destruction of humanity, promises Utnapishtim that Enlil will never cause a flood again.

No.

The Bible isn't a lie.. It had many, many authors over time and its not linear. It's also not science or history.

Funny, because people refer to the Bible routinely for historical information.

On the other hand, much of the Bible, in particular the historical books of the old testament, are as accurate historical documents as any that we have from antiquity and are in fact more accurate than many of the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or Greek histories.​
‘These Biblical records can be and are used as are other ancient documents in archeological work. For the most part, historical events described took place and the peoples cited really existed. This is not to say … that every event as reported in the historical books happened exactly as stated.’​
-Smithsonian Institution

No.

No.

On the other hand, much of the Bible, in particular the historical books of the old testament, are as accurate historical documents as any that we have from antiquity and are in fact more accurate than many of the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or Greek histories.​
‘These Biblical records can be and are used as are other ancient documents in archeological work. For the most part, historical events described took place and the peoples cited really existed. This is not to say … that every event as reported in the historical books happened exactly as stated.’​
-Smithsonian Institution

Even a broken clock is correct 2 times a day. So remember that. :D

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

They aren't accurate history at all. Joshua didn't have any huge armies and didn't destroy any Canaanite towns. The cities of the plain were long gone before Abraham's time. The Exodus wasn't 2 million people.. Even today Sinai only as a population of 800,000. Solomon's kingdom wasn't grand. There is zero evidence for a worldwide flood.

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

They aren't accurate history at all. Joshua didn't have any huge armies and didn't destroy any Canaanite towns. The cities of the plain were long gone before Abraham's time. The Exodus wasn't 2 million people.. Even today Sinai only as a population of 800,000. Solomon's kingdom wasn't grand. There is zero evidence for a worldwide flood.

Yes, and I am pretty sure the city of Nazareth didn't exist but was actually a sect of Essenes or Gnostics.

The expression 'Jesus of Nazareth' is actually a bad translation of the original Greek 'Jesous o Nazoraios' (see below). More accurately, we should speak of 'Jesus the Nazarene' where Nazarene has a meaning quite unrelated to a place name. But just what is that meaning and how did it get applied to a small village? The highly ambiguous Hebrew root of the name is NZR.

The 2nd century gnostic Gospel of Philip offers this explanation:

'The apostles that came before us called him Jesus Nazarene the Christ ..."Nazara" is the "Truth". Therefore 'Nazarene' is "The One of the Truth" ...'
– Gospel of Philip, 47.

What we do know is that 'Nazarene' (or 'Nazorean') was originally the name of an early Jewish-Christian sect – a faction, or off-shoot, of the Essenes. They had no particular relation to a city of Nazareth. The root of their name may have been 'Truth' or it may have been the Hebrew noun 'netser' ('netzor'), meaning 'branch' or 'flower.' The plural of 'Netzor' becomes 'Netzoreem.' There is no mention of the Nazarenes in any of Paul's writings, although ironically, Paul is himself accused of being a Nazorean in Acts of the Apostles. The reference scarcely means that Paul was a resident of Nazareth (we all know the guy hails from Tarsus!).

'For finding this man a pest, and moving sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a leader of the sect of the Nazaraeans.' – Acts 24.5. (Darby Translation).

Last edited:

No.

-Smithsonian Institution

Yes, and I am pretty sure the city of Nazareth didn't exist but was actually a sect of Essenes or Gnostics.

The expression 'Jesus of Nazareth' is actually a bad translation of the original Greek 'Jesous o Nazoraios' (see below). More accurately, we should speak of 'Jesus the Nazarene' where Nazarene has a meaning quite unrelated to a place name. But just what is that meaning and how did it get applied to a small village? The highly ambiguous Hebrew root of the name is NZR.

The 2nd century gnostic Gospel of Philip offers this explanation:

'The apostles that came before us called him Jesus Nazarene the Christ ..."Nazara" is the "Truth". Therefore 'Nazarene' is "The One of the Truth" ...'
– Gospel of Philip, 47.

What we do know is that 'Nazarene' (or 'Nazorean') was originally the name of an early Jewish-Christian sect – a faction, or off-shoot, of the Essenes. They had no particular relation to a city of Nazareth. The root of their name may have been 'Truth' or it may have been the Hebrew noun 'netser' ('netzor'), meaning 'branch' or 'flower.' The plural of 'Netzor' becomes 'Netzoreem.' There is no mention of the Nazarenes in any of Paul's writings, although ironically, Paul is himself accused of being a Nazorean in Acts of the Apostles. The reference scarcely means that Paul was a resident of Nazareth (we all know the guy hails from Tarsus!).

'For finding this man a pest, and moving sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a leader of the sect of the Nazaraeans.' – Acts 24.5. (Darby Translation).

Great link.

Were the Nazarenes Nazirites?

Samson was dedicated as a Nazirite. A Nazirite was an Israelite consecrated to the service of God, under vows to abstain from alcohol, let the hair grow, and avoid defilement by contact with corpses (Num. 6).

Forum List

Back