Is political affiliation a protected class?

Should they not be afraid?

People should think about what they say. They should be respectful to others, they should be aware of other people's concerns. To live in a society has ALWAYS involved such things.

It seems some people are pushing for anarchy. They want people to say whatever and screw the consequences.

This is the problem in a nutshell.

Political debate has become far more hostile and violent than ever. Politicians have always been hostile. But the average voter has not. Now it is encouraged on both side.

Want to fix that? Stand up to the hate-mongers in your own party.

This is the problem in a nutshell.

Political debate has become far more hostile and violent than ever. Politicians have always been hostile. But the average voter has not. Now it is encouraged on both side.

Want to fix that? Stand up to the hate-mongers in your own party.

Perhaps. But why?

Mostly because people have a forum to speak in now, the internet.

Before they got force fed information. They didn't need to get angry with each other, because right and left were probably pretty much on the same page, except for those free thinkers who become something other than purple Repocrats.

Now people can express what they "think" (because mostly it's not actually thinking they're doing), others have the chance to push their agendas.

There are narratives, things people push. "If you say this, then you're a racist/communist/fascist/rabbit" etc etc. And people are afraid of getting caught up in narratives.

I'm not. Why? Because I'm clear about what I think, I'm moderate, I don't want to see other people have a bad life etc. I'm not an asshole.

These people weren't starting anything, yet we're attacked for showing their support of trump. There are other videos out there as well.

There are examples of trump supporters attacking Biden supporters too. So, again, why should we have protections for other classes, but political affiliation is apparently ok to discriminate against?

Ill say this again since you guys ignored it last time.

All of that is already illegal.

Protected status does nothing to resolve ANYTHING you linked to. What does protected status do to change the situations you just pointed out? What does it address?

But either it is every registered voter or you are wanting a protected class just for MAGA people.
You say "every registered voter" it sounds like you are trying to talk about the people themselves. I'm taking about the political affiliation. My argument would be for everyone who wants to show their political affiliation, both left and right.

Should they not be afraid?

People should think about what they say. They should be respectful to others, they should be aware of other people's concerns. To live in a society has ALWAYS involved such things.

It seems some people are pushing for anarchy. They want people to say whatever and screw the consequences.
Why do you keep assuming that someone is "starting something". I'm talking about people not doing anything other than wearing a political slogans on their clothing, or some outward showing of support.

And no, those people should not be afraid. Are you suggesting if someone wears a maga hat, that that is being disrespectful of others? How? As long as they are minding their own business, the people need to keep to themselves.

Ill say this again since you guys ignored it last time.

All of that is already illegal.

Protected status does nothing to resolve ANYTHING you linked to. What does protected status do to change the situations you just pointed out? What does it address?
Well, for one, you could apply hate speech laws to it.

Look at it like this. Why do we have protected classes? Because some people at some point were being treated unfairly or being discriminated against because of who they were. Why would political affiliation be different? Unless you are suggesting that some discrimination is ok?

Really? Then why are Republicans being canceled all over the place? Banned left and right from social media, physical attacked for wearing a hat, being vilified constantly by progressive media. Sure you can support who you want, but you'll be castigated for it. Doesn't sound like protection to me. Sounds like if you choose to show your political alliance, you suffer the consequences.

Belonging to a Social media site is not a right.

Nothing is stopping anyone from saying what they want but that doesn't mean there won't be societal repercussions

You say "every registered voter" it sounds like you are trying to talk about the people themselves. I'm taking about the political affiliation. My argument would be for everyone who wants to show their political affiliation, both left and right.

Unless they are a voter, it doesn't matter.

Yes, I am talking about the people. They are the ones who will be harassed, not the party.

Well, for one, you could apply hate speech laws to it.
Do you support hate speech law? I certainly do not but speech is NOT ILLEGAL. So hate speech law ADDS SOMETHING. Hate speech laws are bullshit in the first place but even those do not add any support to your position.

Those acts were already illegal. I ask again, for the third time, what does protected class add to those scenarios. So far you have not been able to identify what it adds.

Look at it like this. Why do we have protected classes? Because some people at some point were being treated unfairly or being discriminated against because of who they were. Why would political affiliation be different? Unless you are suggesting that some discrimination is ok?
We have protected classes because at one point people were not allowed to even comingle based on race in this country. Do you think you can compare political backlash with racial discrimination in the 60s? I hope not because that would be asinine. There are no democrat only seating areas with republican only seating areas hidden in the back of the restaurant. We do not have well maintained democrat facilities wile republicans are forced to use run down and broken facilities.

That is why political affiliation is different along with the million other ways people discriminate on a daily basis that is totally legal. We do not need big daddy government to help those poor republicans.

Do you support hate speech law? I certainly do not but speech is NOT ILLEGAL. So hate speech law ADDS SOMETHING. Hate speech laws are bullshit in the first place but even those do not add any support to your position.

Those acts were already illegal. I ask again, for the third time, what does protected class add to those scenarios. So far you have not been able to identify what it adds.

We have protected classes because at one point people were not allowed to even comingle based on race in this country. Do you think you can compare political backlash with racial discrimination in the 60s? I hope not because that would be asinine. There are no democrat only seating areas with republican only seating areas hidden in the back of the restaurant. We do not have well maintained democrat facilities wile republicans are forced to use run down and broken facilities.

That is why political affiliation is different along with the million other ways people discriminate on a daily basis that is totally legal. We do not need big daddy government to help those poor republicans.

Thank you.

Look at it like this. Why do we have protected classes?
To suppress unpopular biases in society.
Because some people at some point were being treated unfairly or being discriminated against because of who they were. Why would political affiliation be different? Unless you are suggesting that some discrimination is ok?
Why shouldn't every kind of bias be a protected class? Unless you are suggesting that some discrimination is ok?

Why do you keep assuming that someone is "starting something". I'm talking about people not doing anything other than wearing a political slogans on their clothing, or some outward showing of support.

And no, those people should not be afraid. Are you suggesting if someone wears a maga hat, that that is being disrespectful of others? How? As long as they are minding their own business, the people need to keep to themselves.

How many people have been locked up for wearing a political slogan on their clothing?

Is wearing a MAGA hat disrespectful to others? Perhaps. It represents something and that something is dangerous. MAGA people might not want to accept this, but there it is.

Imagine someone walking around with a t-shirt that says "I love Hitler" in a Jewish area.

what does protected class add to those scenarios. So far you have not been able to identify what it adds.

It would provide the same protection that is afforded to any other protected class. Just like, if you physically attack someone because they are black, or gay, or because of their religion, those people are also protected by the current laws, but we afford them extra protection even from being harassed because of their situation. If you verbally attack someone based on their protected status, then you run the risk of being accused of a hate crime, and there can be legal repercussions for it. I'm just asking why that political affiliation, your right to support your political party openly, it is acceptable to attack those people?

There are no democrat only seating areas with republican only seating areas hidden in the back of the restaurant

Oh, but how close we are to being there. You think this cancel culture is just here for the short term? Again, from the link i posted, people are already afraid to show their political affiliation openly, except for hard left liberals. It may not be a "back room in a restaurant", but it's getting to the point where people on the right are being excluded based solely on who they support. Just look back at right wingers who had their speaking engagements at colleges and events canceled because the left wingers didn't want them there.

Do you think you can compare political backlash with racial discrimination in the 60s?

Absolutely not, nor would I ever try. I'm just saying that discrimination exists in many forms, including because if your political alignment.

We do not need big daddy government to help those poor republicans.

Perhaps, but then that's kind of loaded since, currently, the only ones who really enjoy open support without impunity are those on the left....overall.

Nothing is stopping anyone from saying what they want but that doesn't mean there won't be societal repercussions

No, it's not, but, it's an example if how people are being treated differently because of their political affiliation.

To suppress unpopular biases in society.

Why shouldn't every kind of bias be a protected class? Unless you are suggesting that some discrimination is ok?
But we're not talking about biases here, we're talking about outright harassment based on your politics. Again, there are not too many things that will get you physically or verbally attacked, but politics have shown to be one of them. It's also not just a one off thing, it's an ongoing, and worsening issue.

How many people have been locked up for wearing a political slogan on their clothing?

Is wearing a MAGA hat disrespectful to others? Perhaps. It represents something and that something is dangerous. MAGA people might not want to accept this, but there it is.

Imagine someone walking around with a t-shirt that says "I love Hitler" in a Jewish area.

None that I'm aware of. How many have been physically attacked, or harassed, or excluded because of a political slogans? Plenty.

It's not dangerous, it's just a hat, and if someone is sitting to themselves having a meal, or sitting on a park bench, or whatever, its not harming anyone. Even the idea it represents is not dangerous. Left wing media has simply hyped up the Trump hate so that they think he's dangerous. And before you say it, most of these people were attacked for their maga hats before J6 happened.

I actually blame left wing media for about 99% of all the Trump hate that is out there, especially these hard left progressive shows. They have whipped up the left wing base into a frenzy over Trump, which is likely responsible for most of these attacks.

But we're not talking about biases here, we're talking about outright harassment based on your politics.
No, we're talking biases. Protected classes don't ban harassment - that's already illegal. They ban discrimination - bias - in various circumstances (employment, housing, etc ...)
Again, there are not too many things that will get you physically or verbally attacked, but politics have shown to be one of them. It's also not just a one off thing, it's an ongoing, and worsening issue.
So, you skipped over my question. I'll try again: Why shouldn't every kind of bias be a protected class? Unless you are suggesting that some discrimination is ok?

Thats not even in the ballpark of being close to someone wearing a maga hat.

Forum List

Back