Is political affiliation a protected class?

Do you? Still?

The right has been very much a backer of larger ever increasing government since at least Bush Jr. I would find it rather shocking if I manage to find a republican that stands for small government. They basically no longer exist.

I became a conservative when it meant voting for smaller, less intrusive gov't. It meant more personal freedom. It meant fiscal responsibility. And it meant being personally responsible for your actions.

Sadly, those days are long gone.

Ok, the same goes for someone's sexual orientation. By your logic, they can easily keep that to themselves....but should they have to? No, they should not, so why tell someone they have to keep their support to themselves?

No, I want all people to be able to show their support for their politics, without fear of reprise. If a dem or a repub wants to express their support, then feel free, but when ones support includes trying to harass and attack someone physically for their support then I think that crosses a line, and that's when I question the need for protections.

For gays to "keep that to themselves" means not having a home with a spouse or significant other, not showing any personal affection in public, and pretending to be someone they are not. For you to avoid harassment simply means not starting shit.

I don't care how a person chooses to live their life, I'm only trying to express that a person's fundamental belief system should be protected as are many other things.

So we make every registered voter a part of a "protected class"? That is just stupid.

So, should then not all criticism be allowed, regardless of protected status?

Also, you've seen the videos of people getting their hat ripped off their head at restaurants, if that had erupted into a fight, who do you think would have been arrested? The dem probably would have been let go and the maga guy would have been arrested for "starting a fight", yet it was the dem who actually started it.

So then what is the answer? The maga guy has to sit there and be humiliated, he can't react because he would be punished for doing so, so the dem guy gets a pass and the maga guy has to just take it? How is that ok?

If had erupted into a fight it is likely that both parties would have been arrested, unless there were witnesses that one or the other actually started the fight.

And if you are sitting at a table wearing a hat, someone SHOULD tell you to remove it. It has nothing to do with the MAGA on the hat and everything to do with the bad manners of wearing a hat at the table.

You beliefs and you ability to express them are already protected by the first amendment.
Really? Then why are Republicans being canceled all over the place? Banned left and right from social media, physical attacked for wearing a hat, being vilified constantly by progressive media. Sure you can support who you want, but you'll be castigated for it. Doesn't sound like protection to me. Sounds like if you choose to show your political alliance, you suffer the consequences.

You don't HAVE to.

Why do you expect everyone to agree with your choices? And political parties have nothing to do with patriotism in fact the founding fathers thought the rise of political parties was bad for the country and they were right.
I don't expect people to agree with them, but I'm asking if it should be protected from harassment and persecution.

And yet the discrimination based on political persuasion is a strange one. Usually it only happens when someone's being obnoxious. I certainly don't think this is a problem in the US.
Really?

Seems like many people, on both sides, are afraid of outwardly showing their political leanings, with the exception of "staunch liberals". They are apparently the only group who feel like they can openly show their support.

Like 62% of Americans (77% of republicans) feel they can't openly show their politics.

Nearly a third (32%) of employed Americans say they personally are worried about missing out on career opportunities or losing their job if their political opinions became known

I bet you can guess what side most of those 32% are on. I'm guessing almost all of them are on the right.

Really?

Seems like many people, on both sides, are afraid of outwardly showing their political leanings, with the exception of "staunch liberals". They are apparently the only group who feel like they can openly show their support.

Like 62% of Americans (77% of republicans) feel they can't openly show their politics.

I bet you can guess what side most of those 32% are on. I'm guessing almost all of them are on the right.
Yup, all of that is very bad. No, none of it can be solved by granting big daddy government more power.

I find it funny that the OP claims to be a conservative, and yet wants the gov't to solve his personal problems.
We have all kinds of protected classes that the government had to step in to protect. They are protected by civil rights laws. I don't see how the fundamental right to openly show your support for a political party doesn't warrant the same protection.

I mean, were talking poillitics here, something that tends to bring out the worst in people. Most people won't bother you over any other thing. A Bears fan isn't going to walk up to you in a restaurant and rip a vikings hat off your head. Someone is not going to vandalize your house if you have a NY Yankees banner out front of your house, but you put a maga hat on and it's likely to entice anger from someone and they'll want to confront you.

As I posted above in that article, nearly 62% of Americans are afraid to show their political alliance. 32% of people are afraid for their careers if their political stances become known. That's a problem. You should feel free to be able to show your support for whomever you want without having those fears.

If had erupted into a fight it is likely that both parties would have been arrested, unless there were witnesses that one or the other actually started the fight.

And if you are sitting at a table wearing a hat, someone SHOULD tell you to remove it. It has nothing to do with the MAGA on the hat and everything to do with the bad manners of wearing a hat at the table.
If someone is at a restaurant, it's nobody else business if someone is wearing a hat. Just keep to yourself and don't bother others.

For gays to "keep that to themselves" means not having a home with a spouse or significant other, not showing any personal affection in public, and pretending to be someone they are not. For you to avoid harassment simply means not starting shit.

These people weren't starting anything, yet we're attacked for showing their support of trump. There are other videos out there as well.

There are examples of trump supporters attacking Biden supporters too. So, again, why should we have protections for other classes, but political affiliation is apparently ok to discriminate against?

Really?

There's a big difference between actively stopping people from saying something, and people feeling uncomfortable saying things.
Many people will feel uncomfortable saying things because what they think is probably not well thought out, based more on emotions than thought, and these people are afraid they'll say something racist.

We have all kinds of protected classes that the government had to step in to protect. They are protected by civil rights laws. I don't see how the fundamental right to openly show your support for a political party doesn't warrant the same protection.

I mean, were talking poillitics here, something that tends to bring out the worst in people. Most people won't bother you over any other thing. A Bears fan isn't going to walk up to you in a restaurant and rip a vikings hat off your head. Someone is not going to vandalize your house if you have a NY Yankees banner out front of your house, but you put a maga hat on and it's likely to entice anger from someone and they'll want to confront you.

As I posted above in that article, nearly 62% of Americans are afraid to show their political alliance. 32% of people are afraid for their careers if their political stances become known. That's a problem. You should feel free to be able to show your support for whomever you want without having those fears.

So you do want to make every registered voter into a protected class.

There's a big difference between actively stopping people from saying something, and people feeling uncomfortable saying things.
Many people will feel uncomfortable saying things because what they think is probably not well thought out, based more on emotions than thought, and these people are afraid they'll say something racist.
No, that's not it. People are not just uncomfortable, they are afraid in many cases, including employment, that their political affiliation will create consequence for them, just for merely being a part of that affiliation.

So you do want to make every registered voter into a protected class.
You're moving the goal post here. I never said that the voter should be a protected class, I was only suggesting that political affiliation, because of the very real propensity for repercussion, be considered for protected class status.

I'm not talking about normal debate, I'm saying that people, due to who they choose to support, can be physically attacked, banned from social media, and even treated differently at work, based on their political affiliation.

No, that's not it. People are not just uncomfortable, they are afraid in many cases, including employment, that their political affiliation will create consequence for them, just for merely being a part of that affiliation.

Which would be easier, changing employment laws or making every registered voter into a protected class?

You're moving the goal post here. I never said that the voter should be a protected class, I was only suggesting that political affiliation, because of the very real propensity for repercussion, be considered for protected class status.

I'm not talking about normal debate, I'm saying that people, due to who they choose to support, can be physically attacked, banned from social media, and even treated differently at work, based on their political affiliation.

But either it is every registered voter or you are wanting a protected class just for MAGA people.

If it isn't, should it be? I think it should. With race, gender, sexual orientation, and others being among those listed as protected classes, why not one of the most fundamental things in this country? Your affiliation to a political party?

Why shouldn't you be protected on the basis of your ideology and whom you vote for?

Granted, USMB, and many talk shows would vanish overnight, but, would it not be worth it to be able to freely believe, and vote, without the fear of persecution, ridicule, and exclusion?
Are you worried Republicans will become extinct ? You should be. The old gray mare isn't what she used to be.

Should they not be afraid?

People should think about what they say. They should be respectful to others, they should be aware of other people's concerns. To live in a society has ALWAYS involved such things.

It seems some people are pushing for anarchy. They want people to say whatever and screw the consequences.

Forum List

Back