Is political affiliation a protected class?

If you allow actual harm
Uh huh - and if you're going to tell me that discrimination is "actual harm", we need to stop right there. Not helping someone isn't the same as hurting them.
... such as denying them access to ...
This phrase is such a silly euphemism. "Denying access" means not doing something that someone else wants you to do. If you won't hire someone, you're denying them access to a job, if you won't provide someone with healthcare unless they pay, you're denying them access to healthcare. If you won't bake them a cake, you're denying them access to desert.

In any case, this isn't "actual harm".

Last edited:
However, there have been people who have had people be aggressive toward them based on their attire. That certainly is a violation of their rights, and we can see the rhetoric increasing very quickly.

But, as I said, I have my answer. Political views should not be protected, and should be open for harassment, and even intimidation. You should not expect to be secure in your support of your candidate of choice. Sound about right?
What sounds about right is that you are a snowflake

Who has said that? They should be no more "open to harassment" than anyone else.

WTF does "secure in your support" supposed to mean?
Im just saying that with no protections comes harassment, it does happen, and nobody can do anything about it unless you decide to try and stand up to them, which will lead to an altercation, which will most likely end up with the harassee getting in trouble.

"Secure in your support" means being able to wear a Biden or Trump hat in public without fear of someone wanting to try and start something.

N
Wrong.
If you allow political discrimination, then who rules will be determined by violence alone, and not by merit.
You are endorsing deliberate harm, which can then only be replied to with violence.
No, I'm suggesting political affiliation should be a protected class to avoid the potential for harassment, intimidation, and violence. Everyone else doesn't agree. They think political affiliation should be an open target.

"Secure in your support" means being able to wear a Biden or Trump hat in public without fear of someone wanting to try and start something.
Well, if you're calling it a "protected class" it means a good deal more. It means that people can't discriminate against you because of your political beliefs. That's what we're talking about.

No, I'm suggesting political affiliation should be a protected class to avoid the potential for harassment, intimidation, and violence.
That's not what protected classes do. They target discrimination. Bias, in hiring, housing or various other circumstances.
Everyone else doesn't agree. They think political affiliation should be an open target.
I don't think the concept of "protected classes" is compatible with individual rights. People are entitled to have their biases, and to act on them. Denying that is denying basic freedom of conscience.

Well, if you're calling it a "protected class" it means a good deal more. It means that people can't discriminate against you because of your political beliefs. That's what we're talking about.
Yeah, and that's what I've been suggesting.

That's not what protected classes do. They target discrimination. Bias, in hiring, housing or various other circumstances.

I don't think the concept of "protected classes" is compatible with individual rights. People are entitled to have their biases, and to act on them. Denying that is denying basic freedom of conscience.
You've been paying attention, look around you. Biden calls 70 million Americans a threat, social media silencing and canceling opposing views, people afraid that if their political views become known, it could affect their job. Most of these things affect people on the right, because the left enjoys protection from them because society is going "woke", social media, which is "everything" these days is mostly liberal controlled, most news is liberal controlled, and those that aren't are somehow afraid of the left to the point that they will cave to them and "toe the line".

Do you think these things are just random? Or do you think they are happening for a reason. There's a reason why Biden said what he said that night, it wasn't just shooting from the hip.

You've been paying attention, look around you. Biden calls 70 million Americans a threat, social media silencing and canceling opposing views, people afraid that if their political views become known, it could affect their job. Most of these things affect people on the right, because the left enjoys protection from them because society is going "woke", social media, which is "everything" these days is mostly liberal controlled, most news is liberal controlled, and those that aren't are somehow afraid of the left to the point that they will cave to them and "toe the line".

Do you think these things are just random? Or do you think they are happening for a reason. There's a reason why Biden said what he said that night, it wasn't just shooting from the hip.
Yup, afraid. You and others are afraid and that means suddenly big giant daddy government is the immediate answer. All those small government, low regulation republicans running straight to big government the first chance they get.

And you wonder why people look at your 'values' and call them out for lies. The right does not want small government, they want massive government on their side. Sorry, you can take your tyranny somewhere else.

Yup, afraid. You and others are afraid and that means suddenly big giant daddy government is the immediate answer. All those small government, low regulation republicans running straight to big government the first chance they get.

And you wonder why people look at your 'values' and call them out for lies. The right does not want small government, they want massive government on their side. Sorry, you can take your tyranny somewhere else.
No, I don't want big government to do anything, but, what is the answer when you have the left wing party, most of the media, the Democrat congress and the president of the United States attacking its own citizens?

No, I don't want big government to do anything, but, what is the answer when you have the left wing party, most of the media, the Democrat congress and the president of the United States attacking its own citizens?
Elect a leaders who don't attack their own citizens? We get what we vote for.

Elect a leaders who don't attack their own citizens? We get what we vote for.
I don't think anyone would have ever been able to predict that Biden would have given that speech. It was truly amazing that a president could go on the offensive like that against people in America. Those are things that don't happen here....they happen in other countries where dictators rule...but not America...until now. It's not just him. Our Democratic congressmen have been ratcheting up the rhetoric against the right as well.

how about our elected leaders act like leaders for ALL Americans, rather than just their base...that would be a good start. How about we hold them accountable when they attack the citizens of their own country and when they try and create division between their voters and the opposing voters.

Yes, you do. You are calling for exactly that, big daddy government to extend special legal protections to you by infringing on the rights of others.

Yes, you do. You are calling for exactly that, big daddy government to extend special legal protections to you by infringing on the rights of others.
Special rights for special people. So many Republicans are going all-in on the liberal approach to civil rights. Sad to see.

Wait..what? How would making political affiliation a protected class infringe on the rights of others? Are you suggesting that it's your right to attack and harrass people for their political beliefs?

And no, I don't need "big daddy" government to give me any special protections. I want them to stop attacking their own citizens and creating division for starters. Beyond that, I was just curious how people felt about the political harassment that is going on and should your right to openly support a party or ideology be counted as a civil right. Nobody thinks so, so, I have my answer.

Wait..what? How would making political affiliation a protected class infringe on the rights of others? Are you suggesting that it's your right to attack and harrass people for their political beliefs?
As I've pointed out already, these laws aren't about attacks and harrassment - so no, that's not what he's suggesting. They're about discrimination, bias against someone for the "wrong" reasons. They're violating a basic right to your own opinions and preferences. They're forcing people to associate with others against their will. All in the name of social engineering, a hamhanded attempt suppress unpopular biases. I get that these biases are often toxic, but "protected classes" are worse.
Beyond that, I was just curious how people felt about the political harassment that is going on and should your right to openly support a party or ideology be counted as a civil right. Nobody thinks so, so, I have my answer.
You don't have a coherent question. You're twisting the concept of rights inside out. Your "right to openly support a party or ideology" isn't being violated if someone refuses to bake you a cake because of your politics.

I don't know what baking a cake has to do with this, I was just talking about harassment, violence, and even unfair treatment based on your political affiliation. These are things that are real concerns with the rhetoric being ramped up.

I was just trying to make a point of how one could be attacked for their openly showing support for a political candidate, and asking if political affiliation should be protected as any other right.

Thats all I was asking.

Having trouble replying to topics here. On mobile phone USmb is acting very weird. Auto reformatting, adding line breaks automatically etc..

I don't know what baking a cake has to do with this, I was just talking about harassment, violence, and even unfair treatment based on your political affiliation.
Because you have no idea what protected astatus means. It has everything to do with the 'cake' and absolutely nothing to do with violence or harassment whatsoever. This has been pointed out over and over again.

As far as 'unfair' goes, that is a term so vacuous as to be meaningless in this context.
These are things that are real concerns with the rhetoric being ramped up.
And not things that have to do with protected status and, therefore, irrelevant to your own topic.
I was just trying to make a point of how one could be attacked for their openly showing support for a political candidate, and asking if political affiliation should be protected as any other right.

Thats all I was asking.
And you have been shown why that is monumentally fallacious.

Forum List

Back