Is God a male?

Is God male or female? The Bible offers some guidance and common sense fills in the blanks. Here is what the Bible says:

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them” (Genesis 1:27).

“Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created” (Genesis 5:2, KJV, highlights my own).

It appears that the Biblical “man” included both male and female. Since God could not be both man and woman in a sexual sense, it appears that God is non-sexual but has certain attributes - I will not speculate what they are - of both sexes. It would be the ultimate insult to woman everywhere to suggest that men have divine attributes and woman do not. I think the Virgin Mary would be more than a little miffed by that suggestion.

The fact that God is referred to as “he” is meaningless since the word “he” has traditionally been used to refer to both male and female. It has more to do with brevity than sexual identification.

I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I find it much more logical to accept a purely spiritual Creator than an anthropomorphic Divinity. I just cannot reconcile the attributes of immortality, omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence of a Divine Being with the frailties and limitations of humankind. Even the most nearly perfect among us cannot be compared to a truly perfect being.

Besides, the Bible seems to say that God is not all that fond of mere flesh and the perfect existence is a spiritual one, not a physical one This is what the Bible says:

“And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years” (Genesis 6:3, KJV).

“Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

“And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

“Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory” (1 Corinthians 15:42-54, KJV, emphasis my own).

There is one more thing I cannot comprehend: Why would God want male genitalia if they had no function? Of course, if they had the typical God-given human function that would mean that God was not complete but had needs the same as we all do. It just doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

Conclusion: The question is whether God is male or female. The answer is both, but not in a way that involves the excretory or reproductive functions of humans.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If so, then there must be a Mrs God

It depends which attributes of God you are referring to.

God's will or law is generally "represented" as male.

God's Creation or Nature/Mother Earth is symbolized as female.

God's Wisdom as Sophia is female.

God's Justice can be associated with Lady Justice or Jesus as Universal Lord or Law.

The Church as a collective body of people is generally "female"
as the Bride of Christ, while the Law or Lord is male as the Husband.

God's Love is unconditional and includes all children of all races, tribes, etc. exactly as God creates us to be.

Even though the Holy Spirit or Comforter is presented as male in the Bible,
the connection with humanity and the church body is more "female" in application.
Because members and leaders WITHIN the church body were sharing the law among themselves, it seems they were ASSUMING the "female/collective role" as the existing context, and all the laws and teachings were shared WITHIN that context from "male authority." The female part of the relationship is present and assumed, not absent.

Isn't Mary Mrs. God?

Symbolically, in very loose interpretation,
ALL the people make up the church body
as the FEMALE in the relationship with God.

If you take "Mary" to mean the spirit of the Mother Church
that EMBRACES all humanity combined collectively, over all time.
To be Catholic means to be universal or all-embracing,
so this spirit is supposed to unify all people as one church body or community.

We are ALL the "bride of Christ" as the receptor of Divine Justice with Mercy.
(Where Jesus represents Justice and Mary represents Mercy)
We receive the Law or Lord as our protectorate for humanity.

Under divine governance, we are equal as humans, or one in Christ.
So the bride and bridegroom are one.
the people and government.
the church and state. one under law in holy matrimony or sacred covenant.

We are supposed to be rejoined and united with God's laws
as one humanity living in harmony, or peace on earth as the Kingdom of God.

Then why impregnate a human?? Hellenism?
he was competing with Zeus...?

Je Zeus ("I Zeus" or "God in Man"), which became Jesus,
is the embodiment of the same authority of God
into secular natural laws. The Greek laws, ethics, and concepts of democratic govt
were among the first given to the "secular gentiles under natural laws"

* Yeshua as Salvation relate to sacred laws through the church tribe or fold of the flock.
* Jesus as Justice relates to the natural laws through the state and secular fold of the flock.

In Christ Jesus or "Restorative Justice" (secular) or "Justice with Mercy" (spiritual)
these two folds are aligned in harmony and do not "compete" or conflict with each other.
They are one in spirit, but expressed in different realms of laws and languages, which COMPLEMENT each other,
in order to have checks and balances between faith and reason to establish truth and justice from both sources.

It is only man's self-interested competition in groups that is imposed on religion and politics
that creates such conflict.

By resolving conflicts by Conscience or Christ, for sake of Jesus or Justice,
then there is no more FALSE DIVISION "jew or gentile" "secular or sacred"
by selfish politics and greed for power.

there is natural harmony by the original spirit of the laws which is
love of truth
love of justice
love of humanity
which is the Holy Trinity in secular terms.

There is no conflict except where we project our own self-biased fears and division.

Last edited:
Then why impregnate a human?? Hellenism?

into secular natural laws. The Greek laws, ethics, and concepts of democratic govt

* Yeshua as Salvation relate to sacred laws through the church tribe or fold of the flock.
* Jesus as Justice relates to the natural laws through the state and secular fold of the flock.

In Christ Jesus or "Restorative Justice" (secular) or "Justice with Mercy" (spiritual)
these two folds are aligned in harmony and do not "compete" or conflict with each other.
They are one in spirit, but expressed in different realms of laws and languages, which COMPLEMENT each other,
in order to have checks and balances between faith and reason to establish truth and justice from both sources.

It is only man's self-interested competition in groups that is imposed on religion and politics

love of truth
love of justice
love of humanity

There is no conflict except where we project our own self-biased fears and division.
lock up when you're done..

Humanity, made in the image of God, has both Male and Female sides of the spirit,
as partners in complement to check and balance each other.

You can see it as heaven and earth, church and state, Mother and Father,
Husband and Wife, Leader and Follower.

These are just local representations or reflections of what God means on a greater
scale, that is infinite and all-inclusive/universal collective of all combined.

So if Humanity is both male/female in nature, so is the greater level that God represents,
encompassing all things as one.

He is what he chooses to be, until she decides differently. It's cool being all powerful, you get to do stuff like that.

So God swings both ways?

love of truth
love of justice
love of humanity

lock up when you're done..

and please come back from "lock up" when you're done, daws

I'd like to finish this conversation "man to man" or "heart to heart"
not by "hit and run" or "bash and ban" which is cheap and accomplishes nothing

when you're not afraid to confront and resolve issues
step back inside the ring, and let's hammer out the details
that is, if you're "man" enough
are you, daws? hello??? daws? come back!

Don't you just love that wisdom is female? ;)

Thanks, Irish
I got that from a Christian Biblical Feminist, that there are 10 times more references in the Bible to God as Wisdom than God as Heavenly Father which came later.

Buddhism, which focuses on Wisdom and Compassion, has been grouped more with other "Pagan and nature-based beliefs" that focus on the Earth/Creation as female.

In addition to Wisdom in the Bible personified as a "her"
(see Proverbs 8:1 and 1:20 on hearing and following the Voice of Wisdom)

The Dalai Lama also pointed out that women tend to be more compassionate than men.
Western women can come to the rescue of the world | Dalai Lama Center for Peace and Education

You remind me of a secular humanist friend of mine, who came to the conclusion that the interpretation of feminism that aligned with humanism
was interpreting the female to represent the female/oppressed side of ALL humanity
collectively, not just women but all people

This aligns with the Christian symbolism of ALL the people making up the bride or church which are governed or protected under common Authority of Law or the Lord.

The point is unity and harmony, like a sacred marriage, not dominance oppression or competition to coerce the authority of one over another.

We need to stop abusive relationships, heal past wrongs and wounds, correct injustice to restore peace, and return to healthy partnerships based on educated consent and collaboration, not coercion by political or economic dominance.

Attachments

• $DLWesternWoman.jpg
    $DLWesternWoman.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 63

Depends on what religion you're speaking of. Will assume Christian here.

According to Judaism, where all Biblical belief originates and in order to be Biblical MUST be adhered to (if you deviate from Jewish text/dogma you're by definition no longer worshipping that deity; hence why the NT was pasted onto the Jewish Tanach instead of becomming a discrete and new religion.)

God, in Judaism has no gender. But since Hebrew has no words for a genderless individual, male and female pronound\s are both used referring to God. Could make that more complicate and convoluted bt it's really that simple.

The question of a Mrs. God (sic) is actually a serious point raised throughout the millenia. Unfortunately, it's kind of anthropomorphic. Reproduction for animals like humans requires male and female sexual reproduction. But that would only apply to God is God were human or some sort of animal which doesn't seem to be the case. Just because at its whim it can appear as one of us, doesn't mean it is one of us. Consequently, how it might reproduce itself may not be bound to the same rules as our own reproductive systems. Even within human sexual reproduction, and our relative infancy stage of development we're seeing numerous exceptions to standard reproduction, and precedents exist in other animals like fishes for reproduction from one female with no assistence from a male of its species as in captive all-female groups of fish like sharks:

Parthenogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If God has a bilogical sex like male, female, hermpahrodite, or something else then by definition it's not ***GOD***. Or more likely, if it does, then gods aren't what we think they are...;)

Forum List

Back