I'm thinking of joining a church with my kids

I've been in a lot of churches, and I've never seen one individual church say it's necessary to join that church or go to hell.

Now the Catholics think their church is the one true religion, the bride of Christ, the true church.

But I've never been in any other church that has that slant. It's just a Catholic thing.
i have
they are scary when you think about it

Yup me too. And yes they are.

I think you should join one of those churches where the people play with rattle snakes and drink strychnine.

Religion in itself has a long and interesting history. Much of what was true in the beginning has been corrupted over the centuries - Martin Luther didn't believe this, John Knox didn't believe that, and numbers of others didn't believe the other so they pulled out of (generally speaking) the Catholic church. Then there were differences in opinion among other groups who pulled away from other churches and set their own systems of beliefs.

Judaism and probably Islam are the oldest of faiths that are still active today. But I think history would tell us that Mohammud was a violent waring person who demanded adoration of himself from all who were conquered by him.

Other religions and come and gone over time. I think the one thing that is important is that we don't have to belong to any particular religious congregation to be religious - in other words we need to live our lives in a one-on-one relationship with God. After all, only we can be responsible as to live our lives and if we choose to live them in a bad way only we have to answer for those bad choices. Religion is something that is inside us if we choose to be religious.

At least Rastafarians smoke weed. :D
And they won't care about your cock... as long as you have weed... And no pretend quality stuff!

I was raised Methodist, but go to different churches now,, still trying one to best fit my needs.

As for your kiddos, I LOVED my youth groups at my Methodist Church, I was in MYF, and we did a lot of cool things.

Of course they are young now, so find a cool church with cool Sunday School classes for them I guess.

A cool church is the one that I want. I really want to find one that is not preachy or bibly, but rather a community of nice people.

How about the Unitarians? Mostly liberal White people who love diversity and going to church. They unite under the banner of liberal social action, helping the poor oppressed people who suffered because of George W Bush and his evil cohorts... ;) They are open to all philosophies that don't contradict their wishy, washy, there may or may not be a God, but he's certainly not a Republican, ideas... :lol:

i went to a russian orthodox church when i lived in the St Louis area
and the way they did things you didnt eat before church at all
and after church they had quite a feast
every week
and on special occasions, WOW
LOL
i can only imagine what the Greeks did, and given the greek styples of cooking, i bet they have some phenomenal feasts

Sounds like Ramadan. LOL

Speaking of Ramadan...I think I want to join the religion with the most holidays.

The Unitarians celebrate holidays from all Religions, including Kwanzaa I'm sure!!! :clap2:

I was raised Methodist, but go to different churches now,, still trying one to best fit my needs.

As for your kiddos, I LOVED my youth groups at my Methodist Church, I was in MYF, and we did a lot of cool things.

Of course they are young now, so find a cool church with cool Sunday School classes for them I guess.

A cool church is the one that I want. I really want to find one that is not preachy or bibly, but rather a community of nice people.

How about the Unitarians? Mostly liberal White people who love diversity and going to church. They unite under the banner of liberal social action, helping the poor oppressed people who suffered because of George W Bush and his evil cohorts... ;) They are open to all philosophies that don't contradict their wishy, washy, there may or may not be a God, but he's certainly not a Republican, ideas... :lol:

:)

I should have added to my previous check list though that it is good to look for a church that doesn't require good works but in which many of the members are involved in ministries helping others. That plus an obvious spirit of joy and enthusiasm among all ages is a pretty good sign you've found a good church.

An afterthought to my previous post, I would be leery of a church that is overtly socially or politically activist though. You don't want to hook up with a Westboro Baptist and that stupid church in Florida that plans to burn a Qu'ran on 9/11? How dumb is that?????? I don't presume to speak for God, but I have a really difficult time believing such as that is from God.

Oh...I guess I didn't make it clear that I don't want to be part of a church that help others who are less fortunate than me.

That would go against my selfish principles.

Unitarian churches can be great places for community, unity and spirituality if you're not necessarily looking for down the middle orthodox theology. I went to one for a time and enjoyed it, the people were wonderful and the community strong and caring, but ultimately I simply preferred the direct communion approach of the Friends. Belief is a personal thing. It's all about what's best for you. Otherwise there would only be one church. ;)

how about you go fuck yourself?

:thup:

Elegant, sophisticated, and classy... :eusa_eh:

Elegant, sophisticated, and classy... :eusa_eh:

i'm sorry, i was trying not to be wishy washy.

how's this: please go fuck yourself you ignorant fuckwit.

how's that? better?

Forum List

Back