I'm thinking of joining a church with my kids

Actually get to know some Unitarians and you might be surprised. Belief isn't political - or shouldn't be.

My late in-laws were Unitarian. I am very familiar with them, used to attend when visiting, read all my MIL's newsletters (which appeared to be ongoing manifestos from the Democratic party)

The congregation was almost all White, middle to Upper class liberals. They did have one nice Black lady, whom they fawned over to no end, plus some members had adopted outside their race. They were totally unrepresented in the lower classes, I noticed.

That's not my experience with them, not by a long shot. But not being a Unitarian myself, I'll leave that to the folks who actually are experts. You might wish you'd had me instead. :lol:

Xotoxi can correct me if I'm wrong, but somehow I don't think smearing any one sect or church with political stereotypes and propaganda videos was the point of this thread.

Actually get to know some Unitarians and you might be surprised. Belief isn't political - or shouldn't be.

Yes, certainly all Baptist churches are not like the Westboro Church and all United Church of Christ are not like Trinity UCC in Chicago. There are Unitarian Churches that are quite political and activist and others that are not. Ditto for many other denominations. So really, it comes down to what floats your boat and what you want in a church.

True story: I grew up in a little town in southeastern New Mexico. There were five churches in town. The Roman Catholics were way out on the edge and were pretty invisible to everybody but the Catholics. The big Baptist and Methodist and the old fashioned Church of Christ formed a triangle a couple of blocks apart with the smaller Presbyterian Church in the middle of the triangle.

The Baptists started it by installing regular bells in the bell tower, but they were loud and rang every day at noon and before and after church. the Methodists installed a music system in their bell tower and played hymns loudly every day at noon and before and after church which obviously competed with the Baptist bells. So the Church of Christ, not be outdone, installed loudspeakers on the roof and started broadcasting the pastor's sermon. And the windows rattled like crazy at the Presbyterian Church that was almost obliterated by all the cacophony of racket.

We the people finally enlisted the Catholic Priest to hold a meeting with all the church officials and come to an agreement to settle the matter. Nobody has been satisfied with the outcome to this day however. :)

LOL, the sermon over the loud speakers was definitely over the top. :lol:

If you like virgins become a muslim then blow yourself up and you'll get 72 of them. Just read the fine print to make sure they're a) female and b) human. :lol:

Church can be an incredibly positive uplifting experience. The "sect" isn't very important. Many people attend Non-denominational Churches. You should feel very refreshed & positive after attending Church. It really is uplifting. If you don't feel this way after attending,you probably chose the wrong Church. Good luck & God Bless. :)

A Unitarian minister traveled all over rural Northern California with his family to speak about marriage equality. I was very moved by his compassion.

I don't know what church would suit your fancy but if I wasn't already a Buddhist I'd likely be a Quaker.

Last edited:
My late in-laws were Unitarian.

Do you think that being Unitarian is what killed them? :eek:

No. FIL lived to be over 80 and MIL lived to be 95.

Unitarians attract intellectuals, and they were both that. They were actually part of the founding membership of that particular parish.

MIL's memorial service was very nice, very genteel, with a musical quartet and opera style singer performing.

MIL's sister also became a Unitarian. They both rebelled against their strict Methodist upbringing and became Unitarians when they were in their 20s. Methodism used to be a very strict denomination back in the early part of the century, banning jewelry, dancing, even red shoes were forbidden.

LOL, I'll never forget when her church got a Lesbian minister with a live in partner. She and her sister were a little aghast, in their very English genteel way. They didn't like the woman much personally, plus the whole homosexuality thing was only beginning to come into general acceptance, and the ladies were born in 1908 and 1910, lol. They still went to church every Sunday and never wavered. They were very cool, I thought. :lol:

My late in-laws were Unitarian.

Do you think that being Unitarian is what killed them? :eek:

No. FIL lived to be over 80 and MIL lived to be 95.

Unitarians attract intellectuals, and they were both that. They were actually part of the founding membership of that particular parish.

MIL's memorial service was very nice, very genteel, with a musical quartet and opera style singer performing.

MIL's sister also became a Unitarian. They both rebelled against their strict Methodist upbringing and became Unitarians when they were in their 20s. Methodism used to be a very strict denomination back in the early part of the century, banning jewelry, dancing, even red shoes were forbidden.

LOL, I'll never forget when her church got a Lesbian minister with a live in partner. She and her sister were a little aghast, in their very English genteel way. They didn't like the woman much personally, plus the whole homosexuality thing was only beginning to come into general acceptance, and the ladies were born in 1908 and 1910, lol. They still went to church every Sunday and never wavered. They were very cool, I thought. :lol:

:thup:

Forum List

Back