I'm thinking of joining a church with my kids

I've been in a lot of churches, and I've never seen one individual church say it's necessary to join that church or go to hell.

Now the Catholics think their church is the one true religion, the bride of Christ, the true church.

But I've never been in any other church that has that slant. It's just a Catholic thing.

We claim that because we are. We are the only church that traces its history back to St Peter, and of course, we all know who his BBF was, right?

On the bright side, these days, we don't tell y'all that you won't go to Heaven cuz you ain't Catholic. We used to. Nowadays, we're quite pally-pally with other faiths. I think that's nice.

Why do Catholics leave right after communion?

Why do they not sing the entire hymn?

At least that is what I've found in my experiences at several Catholic churches. My grandmother was uber-Catholic and if she missed a day of church, she would make it up with an extra service. It was like she needed to have communion every day in order to get into heaven.

*Disclaimer: I also like it when we work with non-Christians. In fact, if we (Jews, Christians and Muslims) worked together, we could 86 these atheists in a New York minute. LOL

Why don't you work with the atheists too? They're humans.

The fire and brimstone screamers scare the shit out of me. It's not the majority of Baptist churches and I don't know if this is limited to the so-called "Bible Belt" Baptist churches or what, but they pretty much teach that if there's anything that might bring enjoyment into your life - it's a sin to do it. Just about anything was cause for you to be sent straight to hell.

I'd walk right out of the church if it was like that.

What sect do you recommend and why?

I suggest you consider Free Frizbeetarianism.

Why?

Whenever two or more of you are playing together the spirit of God is with you.

It's litergy is laugher.

Congregational mirth is evidence that the holy spirit is with them.

Their church is the local swimming hole, a playground, a particularly beautiful night sky...wherever and whenever two or more Frizbeetarians have come together in holy hilarity to reach the comic cosmic consciousness.

Frizbeetarianism - No dues, no dogma, no damnation.

Sound's great!

xot, if you're supposed to be the sign of quality, why are you wanting to pollute the minds of your children with some retard religion that tell you that if you're not a good little boy and hand over some tithe all your life, you'll burn in hell for eternity?
And if you're so high quality, why can't you even make up your own mind? Hmm.
Are you questioning my quality??? :evil:

You will go to hell for eternity!!!

you're such a troll, snots.

NO, I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT DID NOT FALL FOR XOs GAG...DUMMY

No gag.

If it's no gag then nobody's going to be able to give you the right answer, xot. That's going to be up to you to shop around and find what's best for you.

I was raised Calvinist :eek:, hated it, quit as soon as I was able to dig in my heels, then starting as a teenager went through several different different churches and no church at all before settling on what made me feel comfortable and at home. It can take a while.

Whatever you decide, look for a church large enough to have solid organized youth programs or else a small one that is the kind of community that makes the kiddos really feel like part of it. If they feel like they're shunted off out of the way rather than included and valued you're wasting your time, they will resent it rather than take anything from it. And from experience if they make the little people sit and memorize liturgy in a foreign language run like hell. :lol:

What sect do you recommend and why?

I suggest you consider Free Frizbeetarianism.

Why?

Whenever two or more of you are playing together the spirit of God is with you.

It's litergy is laugher.

Congregational mirth is evidence that the holy spirit is with them.

Their church is the local swimming hole, a playground, a particularly beautiful night sky...wherever and whenever two or more Frizbeetarians have come together in holy hilarity to reach the comic cosmic consciousness.

Frizbeetarianism - No dues, no dogma, no damnation.

Sound's great!

Well then...you may already be a member of that sect without having known it.

Welcome to the fold, brother.

We're all bozos on this bus.

Roman Catholic or Jewish. Both have great education available and diverse youth programs. Both are well established and are heavily involved in communities - good for long term contacts.

Last edited:
How about the Quakers? No one's mentioned them. Nice peaceful bunch.

Nice people those Brethern. I've sat with them a number of times.

They're a tad too prone to solemnity though.

No diety that invented creme pies to face, fart jokes and procreation by sexual congress can expect we humans to take things quite so seriously as all that.

Ever notice how we all love our children and our pets?

Wanna know why?

Because they are so obviously closer to getting the great cosmic joke than we are.

I'm Quaker. Not always a very good one. :lol: But there's a lot more to it than pacifism, or if you're like me more nonviolence than true pacifism. There is a difference. ;)

It's something to look into, but keep in mind it's very different from what most people think of as "church".

Also remember there are meetings and then there are meetings - some of the ultra liberal Quaker groups are formed by people who are curious and like the idea of the Friends they read on a website but are really more New Age than anything. Also a few formed that way are ultra conservative, which can be just as bad in the opposite extreme as they become more legalistic. But a long-established meeting is usually a safe bet. It's certainly worth a look if there's something available that fits your needs.

Nice people those Brethern. I've sat with them a number of times.

They're a tad too prone to solemnity though.

No diety that invented creme pies to face, fart jokes and procreation by sexual congress can expect we humans to take things quite so seriously as all that.

Ever notice how we all love our children and our pets?

Wanna know why?

Because they are so obviously closer to getting the great cosmic joke than we are.

We're not all solemn, editec. God has a great sense of humor, and we are the cosmic punch line - or one of them anyway. Some people just have trouble laughing at themselves. But that's more or less universal. ;)

Last edited:
Here is the church...

...most popular with the kids:

church-1.jpg

Endorsed by famous Vulcans too.

spock_slave.jpg

Forum List

Back