Im going to buy a hand gun soon. Any suggestions?

I would recommend a .357 revolver. Yeah, I know lots of people will tell you that they are obsolete. Those people are wrong.

For one thing, it is a simple almost foolproof weapon. In a panic driven emergency, you don't have to think about the gun as much.

Another thing, it allows you to use some different types of ammo. We have 3 revolvers in .357 in various places in our house (2 in nightstands and 1 in the kitchen). All 3 have a .38 Special shot shell loaded in the first position on the cylinder. Then the other 5 rounds are .357 MagSafe hollow points. That gives you a quick, 1st shot and 5 major follow ups.

And lastly, the chances of a jam (using factory loaded ammo) is virtually nil. And revolvers tend to be more accurate.
Best thing about revolvers is they don't leave casings around as added "evidence".:eusa_shhh:
That depends on if you have to reload combat speed loading style. One of our firearms instructors told us a story about muscle memory, bad muscle memory. Back in the 70s lots of cops were getting wounded and killed in fire fights so a study was commissioned to see why. Seems back when cops were using .38s they would practice shooting at the range, when they reloaded they put the empty brass in their pockets...... Guess what, all the wounded and dead cops had empty casings in their pockets, they did exactly as they practiced. In a fire fight, empty casings and empty magazines are of no use, leave em where they drop.

You were reading Masaad Ayoob huh? If so that was a 50's 60's and on into 80's thing.

I think the reasons revolvers are good choices is also based on the gun design and what you are expecting to need it to do.

I would recommend a .357 revolver. Yeah, I know lots of people will tell you that they are obsolete. Those people are wrong.

For one thing, it is a simple almost foolproof weapon. In a panic driven emergency, you don't have to think about the gun as much.

Another thing, it allows you to use some different types of ammo. We have 3 revolvers in .357 in various places in our house (2 in nightstands and 1 in the kitchen). All 3 have a .38 Special shot shell loaded in the first position on the cylinder. Then the other 5 rounds are .357 MagSafe hollow points. That gives you a quick, 1st shot and 5 major follow ups.

And lastly, the chances of a jam (using factory loaded ammo) is virtually nil. And revolvers tend to be more accurate.
Best thing about revolvers is they don't leave casings around as added "evidence".:eusa_shhh:
That depends on if you have to reload combat speed loading style. One of our firearms instructors told us a story about muscle memory, bad muscle memory. Back in the 70s lots of cops were getting wounded and killed in fire fights so a study was commissioned to see why. Seems back when cops were using .38s they would practice shooting at the range, when they reloaded they put the empty brass in their pockets...... Guess what, all the wounded and dead cops had empty casings in their pockets, they did exactly as they practiced. In a fire fight, empty casings and empty magazines are of no use, leave em where they drop.

Shooting for accuracy at the range is all well and good. It is a big part of the fun.

But with your defensive weapon, train like you are defending your life.
Shooting at the range is where you develop muscle memory. Muscle memory is what takes over when the adrenaline kicks in so you want to practice at the range like your life depends on it, it just might..........

You were reading Masaad Ayoob huh? If so that was a 50's 60's and on into 80's thing.
Never heard of him.

Never heard of him.

For real? He is old fashioned, but his info is still good. He is not a tactidouche. He is the type of dude who gets called to testify after shootings. If one does CCW, a couple books from Masaad Ayoob should be on the back of said dudes toilet. Lots of good legal advice.

I think the reasons revolvers are good choices is also based on the gun design and what you are expecting to need it to do.

That go 100 would be an awesome bed Stang gun.

Never heard of him.

For real? He is old fashioned, but his info is still good. He is not a tactidouche. He is the type of dude who gets called to testify after shootings. If one does CCW, a couple books from Masaad Ayoob should be on the back of said dudes toilet. Lots of good legal advice.
I just looked him up, yeah, I forgot that name belonged to that man. It's been a while so sure, I know who he is.

I don’t like hand guns !!
I like shot guns as you can’t miss and you get superb splatter
Splatter means you did good lol

This will give you more splatter.......

iu

Which is more your speed. Figure you'd hurt yourself with a real firearm.

iu

iu

Great splatter !!

I hate hand guns !

9 mm can take several shots to drop guy
A shotgun with 4 buck shot will launch 29 pellets of death

I have never owned a gun as an adult, and im 47 now. Well, thats not true. I have my grandfathers Luger from WW2 that he found on a Nazi on D-Day. He was one of the legendary 101st Airborne paratroopers. Its a super cool gun to have, with a leather case that is very well maintained. Anyway, I also had a rifle when i was a kid and my dad had a very large gun collection that i LOVED! I was always fascinated by guns, i just never bought any as an adult. I have decided that im going to buy one now.

What do i want a gun for? First off, I would like to be able to kill a hostile intruder that enters my home. I dont think that is a very likely scenario, but i want that ability nonetheless. Im 5'9, 170 lbs, so im not looking for a big ass Dirty Harry style gun. I want something lighter, but with enough power to take an intruder down with accuracy. I figure a 9 mm is the best choice for me. Yes a shotgun is probably THE best home protection weapon, but i still want a 9 mm.

The second, and most important reason why i want to buy a gun is because, i want to have fun at gun ranges. Thats it. Im basically buying a gun for fun. Home protection is merely a bonus.

My favorite gun of all time is the HK MP5. Ive been a big fan of HK's forever. I cant buy one of those because they are fully automatic, but there is the HK SP5 version for civilians. Its nearly $3,000 though, and i dont think i can justify that kind of spending, unless i get really hooked on gun shooting, at which point i might expand on my collection.

I have pretty much decided that i want an HK pistol. From my research, the HK VP9 is one of the best 9mm out there. Do you guys have other suggestions? If you can find me a cooler pistol than that, i welcome any suggestions.
You first need training form a qualified and licensed individual then you should decide about purchasing a handgun. Shoot all different types and decided then with an instructors input about type and caliber, make and model.

Shooting at the range is where you develop muscle memory. Muscle memory is what takes over when the adrenaline kicks in so you want to practice at the range like your life depends on it, it just might..........
Well, yes and no. Just like any activity, whether it be bowling, golf or shooting, with out qualified instructions, you can easily developer bad habits that in the case of a firearm which can be deadly for those around you and yourself as well. Poor skill muscle memory is worse then none at all.

Well, yes and no. Just like any activity, whether it be bowling, golf or shooting, with out qualified instructions, you can easily developer bad habits that in the case of a firearm which can be deadly for those around you and yourself as well. Poor skill muscle memory is worse then none at all.
Let me guess, you're from the National Association of Firearms Instructors.

:cool:

I have never owned a gun as an adult, and im 47 now. Well, thats not true. I have my grandfathers Luger from WW2 that he found on a Nazi on D-Day. He was one of the legendary 101st Airborne paratroopers. Its a super cool gun to have, with a leather case that is very well maintained. Anyway, I also had a rifle when i was a kid and my dad had a very large gun collection that i LOVED! I was always fascinated by guns, i just never bought any as an adult. I have decided that im going to buy one now.

What do i want a gun for? First off, I would like to be able to kill a hostile intruder that enters my home. I dont think that is a very likely scenario, but i want that ability nonetheless. Im 5'9, 170 lbs, so im not looking for a big ass Dirty Harry style gun. I want something lighter, but with enough power to take an intruder down with accuracy. I figure a 9 mm is the best choice for me. Yes a shotgun is probably THE best home protection weapon, but i still want a 9 mm.

The second, and most important reason why i want to buy a gun is because, i want to have fun at gun ranges. Thats it. Im basically buying a gun for fun. Home protection is merely a bonus.

My favorite gun of all time is the HK MP5. Ive been a big fan of HK's forever. I cant buy one of those because they are fully automatic, but there is the HK SP5 version for civilians. Its nearly $3,000 though, and i dont think i can justify that kind of spending, unless i get really hooked on gun shooting, at which point i might expand on my collection.

I have pretty much decided that i want an HK pistol. From my research, the HK VP9 is one of the best 9mm out there. Do you guys have other suggestions? If you can find me a cooler pistol than that, i welcome any suggestions.

Whatever you do....do it fast.
The Biden Admin is quickly amassing a National Gun Registry (UnConstitutional) and it is crystal clear why they are doing it.

They are already working hard to reduce gun ownership especially among Veterans. Over 250,000 veterans have been disarmed through a sneaky background check system that uses their medical history against them.

The primary reason for gun ownership is neither hunting NOR self protection.
This cannot be over emphasized.

Forum List

Back