Im going to buy a hand gun soon. Any suggestions?

Godboy

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2008
I have never owned a gun as an adult, and im 47 now. Well, thats not true. I have my grandfathers Luger from WW2 that he found on a Nazi on D-Day. He was one of the legendary 101st Airborne paratroopers. Its a super cool gun to have, with a leather case that is very well maintained. Anyway, I also had a rifle when i was a kid and my dad had a very large gun collection that i LOVED! I was always fascinated by guns, i just never bought any as an adult. I have decided that im going to buy one now.

What do i want a gun for? First off, I would like to be able to kill a hostile intruder that enters my home. I dont think that is a very likely scenario, but i want that ability nonetheless. Im 5'9, 170 lbs, so im not looking for a big ass Dirty Harry style gun. I want something lighter, but with enough power to take an intruder down with accuracy. I figure a 9 mm is the best choice for me. Yes a shotgun is probably THE best home protection weapon, but i still want a 9 mm.

The second, and most important reason why i want to buy a gun is because, i want to have fun at gun ranges. Thats it. Im basically buying a gun for fun. Home protection is merely a bonus.

My favorite gun of all time is the HK MP5. Ive been a big fan of HK's forever. I cant buy one of those because they are fully automatic, but there is the HK SP5 version for civilians. Its nearly $3,000 though, and i dont think i can justify that kind of spending, unless i get really hooked on gun shooting, at which point i might expand on my collection.

I have pretty much decided that i want an HK pistol. From my research, the HK VP9 is one of the best 9mm out there. Do you guys have other suggestions? If you can find me a cooler pistol than that, i welcome any suggestions.

I have never owned a gun as an adult, and im 47 now. Well, thats not true. I have my grandfathers Luger from WW2 that he found on a Nazi on D-Day. He was one of the legendary 101st Airborne paratroopers. Its a super cool gun to have, with a leather case that is very well maintained. Anyway, I also had a rifle when i was a kid and my dad had a very large gun collection that i LOVED! I was always fascinated by guns, i just never bought any as an adult. I have decided that im going to buy one now.

What do i want a gun for? First off, I would like to be able to kill a hostile intruder that enters my home. I dont think that is a very likely scenario, but i want that ability nonetheless. Im 5'9, 170 lbs, so im not looking for a big ass Dirty Harry style gun. I want something lighter, but with enough power to take an intruder down with accuracy. I figure a 9 mm is the best choice for me. Yes a shotgun is probably THE best home protection weapon, but i still want a 9 mm.

The second, and most important reason why i want to buy a gun is because, i want to have fun at gun ranges. Thats it. Im basically buying a gun for fun. Home protection is merely a bonus.

My favorite gun of all time is the HK MP5. Ive been a big fan of HK's forever. I cant buy one of those because they are fully automatic, but there is the HK SP5 version for civilians. Its nearly $3,000 though, and i dont think i can justify that kind of spending, unless i get really hooked on gun shooting, at which point i might expand on my collection.

I have pretty much decided that i want an HK pistol. From my research, the HK VP9 is one of the best 9mm out there. Do you guys have other suggestions? If you can find me a cooler pistol than that, i welcome any suggestions.

A lot of folks like the Glock, I like the Spirngfield Arms and S&W .40 or .45 ACP are best over a 9mm. I'd suggest going to a range that has rental firearms and try them all. Grip length, trigger pull preference can only be judged by firing the weapon.

A BIG one, so you can take out several "protesters" with a single shot or two. You're welcome.

I would recommend a .357 revolver. Yeah, I know lots of people will tell you that they are obsolete. Those people are wrong.

For one thing, it is a simple almost foolproof weapon. In a panic driven emergency, you don't have to think about the gun as much.

Another thing, it allows you to use some different types of ammo. We have 3 revolvers in .357 in various places in our house (2 in nightstands and 1 in the kitchen). All 3 have a .38 Special shot shell loaded in the first position on the cylinder. Then the other 5 rounds are .357 MagSafe hollow points. That gives you a quick, 1st shot and 5 major follow ups.

And lastly, the chances of a jam (using factory loaded ammo) is virtually nil. And revolvers tend to be more accurate.

I would recommend a .357 revolver. Yeah, I know lots of people will tell you that they are obsolete. Those people are wrong.

For one thing, it is a simple almost foolproof weapon. In a panic driven emergency, you don't have to think about the gun as much.

Another thing, it allows you to use some different types of ammo. We have 3 revolvers in .357 in various places in our house (2 in nightstands and 1 in the kitchen). All 3 have a .38 Special shot shell loaded in the first position on the cylinder. Then the other 5 rounds are .357 MagSafe hollow points. That gives you a quick, 1st shot and 5 major follow ups.

And lastly, the chances of a jam (using factory loaded ammo) is virtually nil. And revolvers tend to be more accurate.
Thanks for the info, WB.

I'm a big fan of FN.
They make a really nice 9mm.
Of course I'm a little biased...
295B9C9C-4282-4173-AFFD-B921B0FCAC24.jpeg

I prefer the .45 myself for knockdown power. And in the case of the FN it's 16 round capacity equals most 9,s and surpasses some of them.

So I'm guessing you're okay with spending around 6 to 7 hundred for a pistol based on your choice?

Last edited:
You have to be too good a shot for a hand gun to be effective in a home invasion.

Not to mention the
bureaucratic bullshit you have to put up with to get a handgun.

I'm a big fan of FN.
Of course I'm a little biased...View attachment 344619
I prefer the .45 myself for knockdown power. And in the case of the FN it's 16 round capacity which equals most 9,s and surpasses some of them.

So I'm guessing you're okay with spending around 6 to 7 hundred for a pistol based on your choice?
That looks menacing! I like it.

I'm a big fan of FN.
I prefer the .45 myself for knockdown power. And in the case of the FN it's 16 round capacity which equals most 9,s and surpasses some of them.

Oh....unless you're a gun nut I wouldnt recommend the FN tactical .45 due to price.
The way that one sits is around $2200,stripped of all the goodies it's around $1200 but the 9's are much cheaper.

Ruger ss45 is good for closed quarters. Perhaps a nice 30-06 (scoped) for long distance.

You have to be too good a shot for a hand gun to be effective in a home invasion.

Not to mention the
bureaucratic bullshit you have to put up with to get a handgun.
A handgun will be more fun at the range, i think. I am not ruling out a shotgun though. I might end up with a pistol, shotgun and rifle at some point.

Caliber is less important than accuracy.

Try a couple different handguns and buy the one that is most comfortable in you hands and that you can shoot accurately.

My daily carry is a Glock 19 with hollow points.

I can put three in a quarter sized spot from 50 feet.

I have a couple bigger calibers and a couple smaller but my 9mm is my go to for concealed carry

I agree with Winter on the .357 revolver. You said one gun; for defense, range, and fun. That’ll do the job across all those spectrums. However, what I suggest additionally, is that you don’t run out and buy whatever gun everyone says is great, because their new favorite movie hero uses it. Go to a good gun range. A good gun range will rent you guns. Try quite a few, and see what fits your hand, suits you best, and you shoot best with. When it comes to guns, try as manufacturers may; one size does not fit all...

I'm a big fan of FN.

Oh....unless you're a gun nut I wouldnt recommend the FN tactical .45 due to price.
The way that one sits is around $2200,stripped of all the goodies it's around $1200 but the 9's are much cheaper.
The HK VP9 is like $750ish, i think. Im not worried about the price too much. I could definitely see myself buying a $1200 dollar gun, if i like it enough.

Im going with the HK VP9 because of my love of HK's and the fact that its an ambidextrous pistol. I am ambidextrous, and sometimes im better with my right hand, sometimes my left. Sometimes im equal with both hands. It depends on what it is. Im not sure how it will be with pistols.

HK-VP9-Beauty-5.jpg

Last edited:

My advice will be less popular than many others, however, I would recommend one of three platforms to you for home defense.

Option number one: Charter Arms Bulldog or similar chambered in .44 special. A revolver is a much safer bet for the inexperienced and/or casual or new to handguns individual. Essentially, a revolver is point and shoot without all the sometimes complicated buttons and levers inherent to some semi-auto pistols. Add to that the versatility of the .44 special round and you've got a great all around package for hunting, plinking and man-stopping home defense. They only downside? Five rounds capacity (you should only need one-three shots for most home defense situations) versus up to and beyond twenty rounds in some modern auto pistols. That and the semi-rarity of the ammunition for the caliber, in a scavenging scenario. But if you get into handloading that won't be an issue.

Second choice: anything in .45 ACP, preferably anything built on a 1911 platform or a Glock 21 or similar. Sig also makes a great .45. The .45 ACP is a large, forgiving (recoil wise) pistol round that's been proven in combat at point blank range again and again over the course of the last one hundred plus odd years.

Third choice, a controversial one at that, the FN Five-Seven chambered for 5.7x28mm, which is a high velocity (for a non-magnum handgun) round that is very light weight and extremely low recoil. Benefit: high capacity magazines, 20+ rounds. Drawbacks: much smaller wound channel, scarcity of ammunition when scavenging, and endless debate about the caliber's ability to efficiently kill a human being intent on killing you in close quarters.

In 9mm, I own a Steyr GB which is an older but incredibly reliable platform in this caliber. I am also a fan of the Sig P320-M18 compact.

Another possibility, also less popular, is .38 Super, which is a great target shooting caliber and highly underrated for self-defense carry.

Forum List

Back