Im going to buy a hand gun soon. Any suggestions?

H
Whatever you do....do it fast.
The Biden Admin is quickly amassing a National Gun Registry (UnConstitutional) and it is crystal clear why they are doing it.
Yah, heard that too on all the local scare channels. It pops up every time a democrat gets elected.

Sig Saur p390
Its just as good but just a bit more versatile for whatever you want.

It takes a lot of skill to be proficient with shooting a pistol. Going out to the range a couple of times of year will not give you the skill to use it for anything farther than a few feet away.

A shotgun is great for home protection and takes very little skill to be used for self defense.

If you want a rifle then the AR is relatively inexpensive and has tons of add ons and ammo and parts are available. Low recoil.

Sig Saur p390
Its just as good but just a bit more versatile for whatever you want.
I think the best weapon that anyone can purchase, is the one available for purchase. Many i have seen on line are out of stock. I guess concerned citizens are starting to wise up to the communists in our government...

It takes a lot of skill to be proficient with shooting a pistol. Going out to the range a couple of times of year will not give you the skill to use it for anything farther than a few feet away.

A shotgun is great for home protection and takes very little skill to be used for self defense.

If you want a rifle then the AR is relatively inexpensive and has tons of add ons and ammo and parts are available. Low recoil.
People keep repeating this myth over and over. Getting lucky using it for self defense is one thing (and pretty rare), training to use it properly is a whole nother ball of wax.

People keep repeating this myth over and over. Getting lucky using it for self defense is one thing (and pretty rare), training to use it properly is a whole nother ball of wax.

Of all the firearms available a shotgun is the most forgiving for someone having a lack of skill.

A shotgun with an 18 inch barrel would provide some pretty good defense inside a home regardless of skill.

However, if you are going to use a long barrel shotgun for skeet shooting or hunting then that takes a decent amount of skill

Of all the firearms available a shotgun is the most forgiving for someone having a lack of skill.

A shotgun with an 18 inch barrel would provide some pretty good defense inside a home regardless of skill.

However, if you are going to use a long barrel shotgun for skeet shooting or hunting then that takes a decent amount of skill
Okay then, without looking it up what's the spread pattern from 00 buck or bird shot at ten feet from an unchoked 18" shotgun?

Okay then, without looking it up what's the spread pattern from 00 buck or bird shot at ten feet from an unchoked 18" shotgun?

The rule of thumb is that the spread is usually considered to be about about 1 inch per yard but in reality it is usually a little less.

No it is not a terrific scatter but it is a lot better than a single bullet.

I am a firearms instructor and a pretty good shot with a rifle and a fair shot with a pistol.

If somebody comes into my home at night I will grab my Mossberg 500 ATV.

I am not a Fudd. I have more than two dozens ARs right now and about 400 magazines and over 30K of .223. I even have Class III M-16. I know how to use them. I would be hesitant to use an AR for home defense for a variety of reasons. ARs are great general purpose SHTF firearms but not for typical home defense applications.

I would never consider using a pistol for home defense even thought I own a dozen of them and know how to use them. It takes a tremendous skill to use a pistol effectively. Even worse under stress.

I would advise a non skilled shooter to use a shotgun for home defense rather than a pistol or rifle that they have very little skill to use.

If you want to use something else else then fine. I don't really care.

The rule of thumb is that the spread is usually considered to be about about 1 inch per yard but in reality it is usually a little less.

No it is not a terrific scatter but it is a lot better than a single bullet.

I am a firearms instructor and a pretty good shot with a rifle and a fair shot with a pistol.

If somebody comes into my home at night I will grab my Mossberg 500 ATV.

I am not a Fudd. I have more than two dozens ARs right now and about 400 magazines and over 30K of .223. I even have Class III M-16. I know how to use them. I would be hesitant to use an AR for home defense for a variety of reasons. ARs are great general purpose SHTF firearms but not for typical home defense applications.

I would never consider using a pistol for home defense even thought I own a dozen of them and know how to use them. It takes a tremendous skill to use a pistol effectively. Even worse under stress.

I would advise a non skilled shooter to use a shotgun for home defense rather than a pistol or rifle that they have very little skill to use.

If you want to use something else else then fine. I don't really care.
Well I've trained with everything I was either issued or owned, shotguns are one of my favorites, I own three and I know all the myths surrounding shotguns as well as how to properly use them in multiple scenarios. As for the spread it's a LOT less than one inch ever yard, of the two rounds I mentioned at ten yards your spread is only going to be slightly larger than silver dollar, at fifteen yards almost plate sized, at twenty yards you might hit the intruder but no enough to stop them unless you get lucky. Shooting "from the hip" your chances of missing at ten yards is upwards around 70%. Teach people how to properly use a shotgun, they do have sights on them for a reason. Short stroking is common especially under stress, racking a shotgun typically doesn't scare off intruders instead it tells them roughly where you are. Even the unskilled need to be taught shotgun basics.

Really ? The most forgiving and easy to use is a mid size double action revolver. A .357 can be as tame as a .22 with target wad cutters in a house or as powerful as you need to scare the begessus out of anyone. You train on one, the rest are the same.

Last edited:
Well I've trained with everything I was either issued or owned, shotguns are one of my favorites, I own three and I know all the myths surrounding shotguns as well as how to properly use them in multiple scenarios. As for the spread it's a LOT less than one inch ever yard, of the two rounds I mentioned at ten yards your spread is only going to be slightly larger than silver dollar, at fifteen yards almost plate sized, at twenty yards you might hit the intruder but no enough to stop them unless you get lucky. Shooting "from the hip" your chances of missing at ten yards is upwards around 70%. Teach people how to properly use a shotgun, they do have sights on them for a reason. Short stroking is common especially under stress, racking a shotgun typically doesn't scare off intruders instead it tells them roughly where you are. Even the unskilled need to be taught shotgun basics.
Still better than a bullet. I would rather have one 9mm bullet coming at me than nine 00 ball bearings.

I am also a range officer. I see all kinds of shooters. Some of my buddies that take shooting seriously are really top notch but most shooters I see at the range don't really have much skill. They think they do but they don't.

If you say so....... :rofl:

Oviously you haven't figured it out yet but it was a joke so the question still remains, where you born anal retentive or is this a new onset?
See to have a one track mind. Might want to seek help for it.

Really ? The most forgiving and easy to use is a mid size double action revolver.

I would disagree with you on that. Most revolvers have a heavy trigger. The recoil alone on a mid size revolver would prevent any decent follow up shot by anybody with limited skills.

I know some people like them and one of my best buddies is one hellva of a competitive Cowboy Action Shooter but it has taken him a lot of practice.

My carry weapon is a Sig 365 XL. Nice trigger and 12 rd mag. Easy to keep on target. My full size serious pistol is a S&W 5906. Over 3K rounds through it and it has never missed a beat. If I get really pissed at someone I may get out one of my 1911s.

Of course there is always old reliable, just point and shoot.

After the first 3 seconds anyone who came into your house would be seeking any exit while they are shitting their pants...

Still better than a bullet. I would rather have one 9mm bullet coming at me than nine 00 ball bearings.

I am also a range officer. I see all kinds of shooters. Some of my buddies that take shooting seriously are really top notch but most shooters I see at the range don't really have much skill. They think they do but they don't.
The point I'm trying to make is there are too many myths surrounding shotguns and too many unskilled people who believe them. I generally do not recommend first time buyers to get a shotgun unless they plan on shooting it regularly and even then I advise them to try out shotguns before buying one. For some one shot out of a 12 gauge at the range makes them put it away and never take it back out.

I’d rather not be hit by either. The fact remains, handguns are much more easily concealed when answering the door and quicker to get into action. It’s seldom about which fire arm is the best, it’s more often about which is the safest to get into action the quickest when needed and which can be stored in more easily accessible places. Everyone thinks they have time to go a closet and pull out a shotgun in the other end of the house.

Of course there is always old reliable, just point and shoot.

After the first 3 seconds anyone who came into your house would be seeking any exit while they are shitting their pants...

Im sure everyone keeps one next to the bed along with its permit. 😝

Forum List

Back