Im going to buy a hand gun soon. Any suggestions?

I wouldnt call those long guns per say.
And I hate the bullpup design,having the casing fly right by your face sucks.

And the AUG is only 3 inches shorter than my AR with the stock extended.

And on top of that most people wont be assing up the money for either.

I got a chance to shoot the SA80 the limies carried and I can say I liked it, but when it comes to ergonomics and accuracy, I prefer the M4. At least as PDW go... When it comes to carbines the M4 is the top of the feed chain. When it comes to long gun work, I can't say I have trained with anything better than an M14 but I have great respect for the M110 that I got to play with.

I got a chance to shoot the SA80 the limies carried and I can say I liked it, but when it comes to ergonomics and accuracy, I prefer the M4. At least as PDW go... When it comes to carbines the M4 is the top of the feed chain. When it comes to long gun work, I can't say I have trained with anything better than an M14 but I have great respect for the M110 that I got to play with.

One of the best things about the AR variants is the price.
I paid $1200 for my SIG AR before all the goodies and thats on the high end of AR's.

Dont really recommend the cheap BushMasters but a decent AR can be had for six or seven hundred bucks.

I paid $1200 for my SIG AR before all the goodies and thats on the high end of AR's.

Dont really recommend the cheap BushMasters but a decent AR can be had for six or seven hundred bucks.

Yeah, SIG AR's are certainly high dollar for what you can get compared to Bushy's, but as far as I'm concerned any AR you can buy for $600 is good enough if you're not employed as a door kicker.

I have never owned a gun as an adult, and im 47 now. Well, thats not true. I have my grandfathers Luger from WW2 that he found on a Nazi on D-Day. He was one of the legendary 101st Airborne paratroopers. Its a super cool gun to have, with a leather case that is very well maintained. Anyway, I also had a rifle when i was a kid and my dad had a very large gun collection that i LOVED! I was always fascinated by guns, i just never bought any as an adult. I have decided that im going to buy one now.

What do i want a gun for? First off, I would like to be able to kill a hostile intruder that enters my home. I dont think that is a very likely scenario, but i want that ability nonetheless. Im 5'9, 170 lbs, so im not looking for a big ass Dirty Harry style gun. I want something lighter, but with enough power to take an intruder down with accuracy. I figure a 9 mm is the best choice for me. Yes a shotgun is probably THE best home protection weapon, but i still want a 9 mm.

The second, and most important reason why i want to buy a gun is because, i want to have fun at gun ranges. Thats it. Im basically buying a gun for fun. Home protection is merely a bonus.

My favorite gun of all time is the HK MP5. Ive been a big fan of HK's forever. I cant buy one of those because they are fully automatic, but there is the HK SP5 version for civilians. Its nearly $3,000 though, and i dont think i can justify that kind of spending, unless i get really hooked on gun shooting, at which point i might expand on my collection.

I have pretty much decided that i want an HK pistol. From my research, the HK VP9 is one of the best 9mm out there. Do you guys have other suggestions? If you can find me a cooler pistol than that, i welcome any suggestions.
If HK in 9 mil is your favorite then buy one and don't listen to the arm chair, self proclaimed self defense experts out there. I remember way back wanting a Glock until I actually held one, it was like holding on to an unwieldy box, the ergonomics sucked ass at least for me.
Personally I love my Tok and Maks and I like my old S&W .38 revolver. Heck the largest caliber sidearms I own are .44 caliber black powder 1860s reproductions, I'm not packing those around under my shirt........
Bursa (Argentine made) has some very good, inexpensive models for sale, their Thunder 380 is an unabashed copy of the Walther PPK.

Yeah, SIG AR's are certainly high dollar for what you can get compared to Bushy's, but as far as I'm concerned any AR you can buy for $600 is good enough if you're not employed as a door kicker.

Yeah...
The Wife gives me shit for my penchant for semi expensive guns,she has no idea what I'd buy if money were no object.
She calls em my barbies because I'm always accessorising.

I have never owned a gun as an adult, and im 47 now. Well, thats not true. I have my grandfathers Luger from WW2 that he found on a Nazi on D-Day. He was one of the legendary 101st Airborne paratroopers. Its a super cool gun to have, with a leather case that is very well maintained. Anyway, I also had a rifle when i was a kid and my dad had a very large gun collection that i LOVED! I was always fascinated by guns, i just never bought any as an adult. I have decided that im going to buy one now.

What do i want a gun for? First off, I would like to be able to kill a hostile intruder that enters my home. I dont think that is a very likely scenario, but i want that ability nonetheless. Im 5'9, 170 lbs, so im not looking for a big ass Dirty Harry style gun. I want something lighter, but with enough power to take an intruder down with accuracy. I figure a 9 mm is the best choice for me. Yes a shotgun is probably THE best home protection weapon, but i still want a 9 mm.

The second, and most important reason why i want to buy a gun is because, i want to have fun at gun ranges. Thats it. Im basically buying a gun for fun. Home protection is merely a bonus.

My favorite gun of all time is the HK MP5. Ive been a big fan of HK's forever. I cant buy one of those because they are fully automatic, but there is the HK SP5 version for civilians. Its nearly $3,000 though, and i dont think i can justify that kind of spending, unless i get really hooked on gun shooting, at which point i might expand on my collection.

I have pretty much decided that i want an HK pistol. From my research, the HK VP9 is one of the best 9mm out there. Do you guys have other suggestions? If you can find me a cooler pistol than that, i welcome any suggestions.
If HK in 9 mil is your favorite then buy one and don't listen to the arm chair, self proclaimed self defense experts out there. I remember way back wanting a Glock until I actually held one, it was like holding on to an unwieldy box, the ergonomics sucked ass at least for me.
Personally I love my Tok and Maks and I like my old S&W .38 revolver. Heck the largest caliber sidearms I own are .44 caliber black powder 1860s reproductions, I'm not packing those around under my shirt........
Bursa (Argentine made) has some very good, inexpensive models for sale, their Thunder 380 is an unabashed copy of the Walther PPK.

I'm with you on the Glock.
While they make a fine firearm it just feels wrong in my hands.

Yeah...
The Wife gives me shit for my penchant for semi expensive guns,she has no idea what I'd buy if money were no object.
She calls em my barbies because I'm always accessorising.
That's why I love my AR's, I have my summer tine collapsible style, my urban style, my full length Apocalypse style, and my normal truck style.

Plus the under the bed style, the closet style with lights and lasers, the stashed styles with 37mm launchers on them in the shed.

Women can be a real pain in the ass when they would rather spend the money on new pots and pans just because I shot the old ones all up.

Probably the most comfortable pistols I've ever held are the old Beretta 92s but for some reason I never bought one. Don't remember why. :dunno:

Probably the most comfortable pistols I've ever held are the old Beretta 92s but for some reason I never bought one. Don't remember why. :dunno:

My guess is if you bought every pistol that felt good in your hands you'd be broke.

Every year a bunch of us reenactors would get together at an outdoor range in PA. We would have everything from flintlocks up to MG-42s, 34s and 30 cals (full auto). Once I got to fire a MP5, that thing climbs then right after I fired a PPSH, no climb, it pushes straight back. The one that I only fired once, because of the kick was the Martini-Henry (Zulu War version). There are reports that the surviving soldiers from Rorke's Drift had bruises all the way down their side that took a year to heal. I can believe it, that thing kicked like a mule.

The best hand gun for a person who has never shot one is NOT A HAND GUN.
But a pump security shotgun. You won't miss, and no matter where you hit them - they are down or dead. Shorter than hunting style shotguns for ease of handling and tight corners in a home.

View attachment 344980

I'm not sure a security shotgun is the best bet for someone who have never fired a gun.

Yes, they are short than a bird hunting shotgun. But still not especially handy inside the home. A Remington 870, with an 18.5" barrel is still 38.5 inches long. For a novice, that is probably unwieldy.

As for the spread pattern, unless you are shooting down a long hallway, it is actually quite easy to miss. I remember reading somewhere that you can estimate the spread of a "riot" shotgun as 1" per yard of range. So you are not guaranteed a lethal hit.

Also, quite a few people talked about not liking the recoil of a .357 magnum. I think a 12 ga has considerably more recoil.

Don't get me wrong, a shotgun makes an excellent home defense weapon. But I wouldn't recommend it for the first gun.

But a pump security shotgun. You won't miss, and no matter where you hit them - they are down or dead. Shorter than hunting style shotguns for ease of handling and tight corners in a home.

View attachment 344980

I'm not sure a security shotgun is the best bet for someone who have never fired a gun.

Yes, they are short than a bird hunting shotgun. But still not especially handy inside the home. A Remington 870, with an 18.5" barrel is still 38.5 inches long. For a novice, that is probably unwieldy.

As for the spread pattern, unless you are shooting down a long hallway, it is actually quite easy to miss. I remember reading somewhere that you can estimate the spread of a "riot" shotgun as 1" per yard of range. So you are not guaranteed a lethal hit.

Also, quite a few people talked about not liking the recoil of a .357 magnum. I think a 12 ga has considerably more recoil.

Don't get me wrong, a shotgun makes an excellent home defense weapon. But I wouldn't recommend it for the first gun.
Most people have never fired a shotgun but as with any and all firearms if you plan on using it take it to a range and learn to shoot it. Then practice, practice, practice as often as realistically possible to develop not only proficiency but also muscle memory, muscle memory takes over in high stress situations.

View attachment 344980

Most people have never fired a shotgun but as with any and all firearms if you plan on using it take it to a range and learn to shoot it. Then practice, practice, practice as often as realistically possible to develop not only proficiency but also muscle memory, muscle memory takes over in high stress situations.

Practice is, indeed, the key. And with a 12 ga, most novice gunners will not like the recoil. A gun that is uncomfortable to shoot means they won't shoot it as much.

View attachment 344980

Oh for sure... my main point is a beginner gun owner with a hand gun is going to miss, and miss badly. Even a novice who is a decent shot will miss. That adrenaline and extreme nervousness affects your ability to aim in a huge way.
With a shotgun, and assuming you have shot it several times on a range/rural area... you are way-way less likely to miss, and no matter where you hit them they will be dead or down.
What I like to do to show a beginner this fact is take them out and shoot a shotgun at a large item like a pumpkin, an old piece of plywood...etc. from a distance of say 20 or 30 feet. Then walk over and look at the spray pattern. They get it real quick.

View attachment 344980

Practice is, indeed, the key. And with a 12 ga, most novice gunners will not like the recoil. A gun that is uncomfortable to shoot means they won't shoot it as much.
I learned combat tactical shooting with shotguns. The first time I saw where the butt placement was I thought "that will break my collar bone.........." Instead of positioning the butt full on the shoulder the bottom point of the butt is placed about an inch or so below the collar bone. It's actually more comfortable shooting it that way and only that point gets sore as opposed to the whole shoulder.
You can see the position here:

iu

iu

It also gives better control.

My opinion.... buy a 9mm, and if possible, the same model as your local police.
Unless you want a Conceal and Carry. Then you should go with a smaller model, that is lighter.

View attachment 344980

Oh for sure... my main point is a beginner gun owner with a hand gun is going to miss, and miss badly. Even a novice who is a decent shot will miss. That adrenaline and extreme nervousness affects your ability to aim in a huge way.
With a shotgun, and assuming you have shot it several times on a range/rural area... you are way-way less likely to miss, and no matter where you hit them they will be dead or down.
What I like to do to show a beginner this fact is take them out and shoot a shotgun at a large item like a pumpkin, an old piece of plywood...etc. from a distance of say 20 or 30 feet. Then walk over and look at the spray pattern. They get it real quick.
Another thing I learned much later in life is I'm left eye dominant which means I'm much more accurate left handed though I'm a righty. Been shooting right handed all my life so when the instructor told me to try the shotgun left handed I couldn't, I just didn't have the muscle memory to do it however sidearms are a different story, I can shoot left handed all day long.

I haven't read this thread... I assume there have been more than one pin-head saying the best is an AR-15?
While I would not disagree with that if you consider home defense as a scenario of 12 guys attacking your house from 50 yards away after the apocalypse. But, yeah.... that is not even close to reality. Reality is usually one or two assailants, and usually very close range, in the dark. Hard conditions even for the trained.

I haven't read this thread... I assume there have been more than one pin-head saying the best is an AR-15?
While I would not disagree with that if you consider home defense as a scenario of 12 guys attacking your house from 50 yards away after the apocalypse. But, yeah.... that is not even close to reality. Reality is usually one or two assailants, and usually very close range, in the dark. Hard conditions even for the trained.
iu

:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back