Im going to buy a hand gun soon. Any suggestions?

The point I'm trying to make is there are too many myths surrounding shotguns and too many unskilled people who believe them. I generally do not recommend first time buyers to get a shotgun unless they plan on shooting it regularly and even then I advise them to try out shotguns before buying one. For some one shot out of a 12 gauge at the range makes them put it away and never take it back out.

You are correct that a first time shooter will usually have a heart attack the first time they shoot a 12 gauge with high velocity shells. The recoil and noise will scare the shit out of them and they will complain about their sore shoulder for a week.

However, IMHO, once somebody can get over their initial shock they can learn to use a shotgun more effectively a lot quicker than they can learn to use a pistol or rifle.

When I do shotgun training I start them off on mini shells. Then we work up to birdshot and then to high velocity 00 buck.

I’d rather not be hit by either. The fact remains, handguns are much more easily concealed when answering the door and quicker to get into action. It’s seldom about which fire arm is the best, it’s more often about which is the safest to get into action the quickest when needed and which can be stored in more easily accessible places. Everyone thinks they have time to go a closet and pull out a shotgun in the other end of the house.
When my sons were at home I kept all my firearms locked up all the time. I didn't worry about my sons that much but I worried about their friends.

Now that I am retired and it is just my wife and I at home I keep a loaded shotgun within easy reach although I really don't think I will ever have to use it. I put it away when my grandkids come to visit and get it out after they leave.

You are correct that a first time shooter will usually have a heart attack the first time they shoot a 12 gauge with high velocity shells. The recoil and noise will scare the shit out of them and they will complain about their sore shoulder for a week.

However, IMHO, once somebody can get over their initial shock they can learn to use a shotgun more effectively a lot quicker than they can learn to use a pistol or rifle.

When I do shotgun training I start them off on mini shells. Then we work up to birdshot and then to high velocity 00 buck.
Yes but these are the ones who opt for training and they are the minority of firearms owners. It's too bad we no longer teach firearms safety in schools. My dad started me out when I was 9 (same age he got started), had to learn all things safety related before he even let my handle his .22. I remember at least one firearms safety lecture in Junior High then the next training I received was B Range (.45 1911) in Navy Basic, Gunny and 1st running me through the gauntlet of qualifications when I was temporarily assigned as a fill in "Corpsman" at the Marine Barracks in Panama until a FMF Corpsman could be assigned and posted. No we weren't supposed to carry anything other than a .45 but I think Top put them up to it........
Finally was LE training and qualification, one being the shotgun which I fell in love with.

Really, no one has a “Thomson“. That was a give a way.😔

Maybe I’m missing something. Do people really have homes that are that small ?
The tiny house movement..........

iu

Try a .327 Federal Magnum.
Good cartridge. But it doesn’t catch on with most for one reason. The .357/.38 combination is so much more versatile it leaves no room for it. The .38 is the epitome of Accuracy and the .357 is a gold standard for manageable power in a handgun. The .38 can be loaded down to near .22:manageability with target load wad cutters and still remain a formable close range defense round. A .357:from the same midsize revolver has bear stopping capability. These are areas where the .357/.38:revolver rules. You just have to get out of the mindset that you need 17 of them in your handgun. That ain’t happening. So, if you feel that is a major consideration along with manageability, the 9 mm is still king of the hill. Theses are why the .327 , a singular very good round, just isn’t recomended as much as the 9mm and .38/.357.

Last edited:
Good cartridge. But it doesn’t catch on with most for one reason. The .357/.38 combination is so much more versatile it leaves no room for it. The .38 is the epitome of Accuracy and the .357 is a gold standard for manageable power in a handgun. The .38 can be loaded down to near .22:manageability with target load wad cutters and still remain a formable close range defense round. A .357:from the same midsize revolver has bear stopping capability. These are areas where the .357/.38:revolver rules. You just have to get out of the mindset that you need 17 of them in your handgun. That ain’t happening. So, if you feel that is a major consideration along with manageability, the 9 mm is still king of the hill. Theses are why the .327 , a singular very good round, just isn’t recomended as much as the 9mm and .38/.357.
True...but you get a lot of versatility from .327 Fed Mag as well.

A .327 Fed Mag can also chamber .32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long and .32 S&W Shorts.

True...but you get a lot of versatility from .327 Fed Mag as well.

A .327 Fed Mag can also chamber .32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long and .32 S&W Shorts.
Seriously, the range of a .357 from cast full power bear stopping loads to .38 target wadcutters is unsurpassed.

All of which in .327.... have been replaced by the .38 variants . None of them are common available calibers and can be quite expensive special order calibers. There is a reason why the 9mm, .38, .357 diameter is king.....and has been for nearly a century. Calibers above and below come and go, they just keep hanging on. If you’re so sensitive you need a .32 short, just get a .22.

Last edited:
The tiny house movement..........

iu
You know your house is small enough to always have your shotgun close at hand when the same roll of paper at the kitchen sink used to dry dishes is also used to wipe your ass on the John.

Dogs are good for early warning but not much else against a determined attacker.
Most dogs will lay down their life for their owners. Intruders are nearly all breaking and entering and scared shitless when a dog barks.

Last edited:
Most dogs will lay down their life for their owners. Intruders are nearly all breaking and entering ans cared shirtless when a dog barks.

Like I said,dogs are only good for early warnings and the racket they make which will wake up the homeowner.
I'm not afraid of dogs,I am afraid of a woken resident with a firearm.
Getting rid of a dog is simple,when they run to the fence or window you cap his/hers ass from outside,of course you'll wake up the residents of the home so it's the same as a barking dog.

At least you made me laugh with...ans cared shirtless"

Forum List

Back