If You're the Richest or One of the Richest People in the World, Then Are You Doomed?

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015

I thought it was Jeff Bezos by a mile, but...

The Book of Matthew is one of the hardest books to read IMHO.

"The Rich Young Man
16 And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” 17 And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, 19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

23 And Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:16-24

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God
For me, this has always been one of the oddest quotes from the Bible to understand. It is obviously impossible for a Camel to pass through the eye of a needle so it seems that Jesus is saying all rich people are going to Hell simply because they are rich. What if the rich person helps large numbers of poor people with his wealth? Doesn't Jesus in other scripture praise good deeds and helping people as being Godly?

In the days that Jesus walked the earth it was a common way of speaking- exaggeration to make a point. Surely a camel going through the eye of a needle is impossible. Keep reading and you'll see that Jesus explains that it is impossible for man but nothing is impossible for God. The rich man must prefer God to wealth. That may indeed include giving his wealth away to help others.

For me, this has always been one of the oddest quotes from the Bible to understand. It is obviously impossible for a Camel to pass through the eye of a needle so it seems that Jesus is saying all rich people are going to Hell simply because they are rich. What if the rich person helps large numbers of poor people with his wealth? Doesn't Jesus in other scripture praise good deeds and helping people as being Godly?
About the Kingdom of God: Jesus wasn't just speaking of the hereafter, but also the here and now. At one point he noted "Tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the Kingdom of God before you..." He said, "The Kingdom of God is at hand..." (meaning within reach). The Kingdom of God is one of service, which is why Jesus notes it is so hard for the wealthy. They are too used to being served. Even should they give their servants (employees) money to give to others, that is certainly generous, but it is not a service. Giving money is over in an instant with no real effort given.

It also helps to remember a contrasting scripture: Martha bustling around serving thirteen men with no help from her sister. Who did Jesus point to as closer to the Kingdom of God and note it would not be taken from her? The sister. (Mary was concerned with her spiritual world, while Martha was concerned with her physical world.)

No worries. Jesus said the way was narrow, but that some do find it. :)

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God

I don't think of it as Godly. It's more about what you are going to do with it?

Even if you came into $2 billion (just what I think would be hard to give away for a regular person) thru inheritance or dumb luck such as a lottery, it would change your life. Money changes everything as I think another the proverb states. Maybe one becomes greedier or focused on money and not squandering it. It may cause a different set of problems than not having any. Some for the better and some for the worse. I have difficulty understanding it, too, as upon first reading it makes it near impossible to do. What happened to the young man who needed guidance?

Maybe the point wasn't about the young man, but thinking about helping those not as well off as you.

Even if you came into $2 billion (just what I think would be hard to give away for a regular person) thru inheritance or dumb luck such as a lottery, it would change your life. Money changes everything as I think another the proverb states. Maybe one becomes greedier or focused on money and not squandering it. It may cause a different set of problems than not having any. Some for the better and some for the worse. I have difficulty understanding it, too, as upon first reading it makes it near impossible to do. What happened to the young man who needed guidance?

Maybe the point wasn't about the young man, but thinking about helping those not as well off as you.
"let them eat cake"
1610491661279.png

sometimes the conflict resolves itself - so discovered marie antoninette.

doesn't take a bible to know being selfish with one's riches is not proper behavior.

"let them eat cake"
View attachment 441896

doesn't take a bible to know being selfish with one's riches is not proper behavior.

I took French in HS and this is just legend. She didn't say it and wasn't selfish with her riches. To the contrary, she was quite generous and a philanthropist. However, the people started to hate her because of the way she was perceived as being too friendly to France's enemies. She was executed with the King due to treason.

In the days that Jesus walked the earth it was a common way of speaking- exaggeration to make a point. Surely a camel going through the eye of a needle is impossible. Keep reading and you'll see that Jesus explains that it is impossible for man but nothing is impossible for God. The rich man must prefer God to wealth. That may indeed include giving his wealth away to help others.
OK but that makes it no less confusing. Is Jesus saying then that there has never been a wealthy person in the history of the world who died and went to heaven? All the philanthropists who created charities and organizations to ease the suffering of millions went to Hell because they still had too much money? How much would one need to give away to meet the 'requirements' for Heaven? All of it?

"let them eat cake"
View attachment 441896

I took French in HS and this is just legend. She didn't say it and wasn't selfish with her riches. To the contrary, she was quite generous and a philanthropist. However, the people started to hate her because of the way she was perceived as being too friendly to France's enemies. She was executed with the King due to treason.
To the contrary, she was quite generous and a philanthropist. However, the people started to hate her because of the way she was perceived as being too friendly to France's enemies.
you don't get it bond -
and eventually ... -- Elon Musk
it is you who worship elon musk - space x ... rather than your country - nasa. a person not Garden Earth. by your comments, marie antoninette. your world view - been through any needles lately. family first.

as though your way is the only way - the same as how you wrote your book in the 4th century, about yourselves.

no doubt money was not what was meant in the 1st century, history repeats itself, antoninette is a good example. what truly was meant. and its execution.

"let them eat cake"
View attachment 441896

To the contrary, she was quite generous and a philanthropist. However, the people started to hate her because of the way she was perceived as being too friendly to France's enemies.
you don't get it bond -
and eventually ... -- Elon Musk
it is you who worship elon musk - space x ... rather than your country - nasa. a person not Garden Earth. by your comments, marie antoninette. your world view - been through any needles lately. family first.

as though your way is the only way - the same as how you wrote your book in the 4th century, about yourselves.

no doubt money was not what was meant in the 1st century, history repeats itself, antoninette is a good example. what truly was meant. and its execution.

I must've got to you with my Marie Antoniette factoid. You went discombobulated. I'm the one telling Musk there ain't any aliens because of no abiogenesis. Instead, just give your money to poor people and accept no life out there.

OK but that makes it no less confusing. Is Jesus saying then that there has never been a wealthy person in the history of the world who died and went to heaven? All the philanthropists who created charities and organizations to ease the suffering of millions went to Hell because they still had too much money? How much would one need to give away to meet the 'requirements' for Heaven? All of it?
Jesus is saying we must put Him first and that people who have wealth often find that difficult. You are making this into an angry argument. Recall that Jesus had did have some wealthy friends- Lazarus and Joseph of Arimathea for example.

If You're the Richest or One of the Richest People in the World, Then Are You Doomed?
Unlike with Christianity, redemption (social, not theological) in this case is through works.

It's not the being rich that's the problem. The Bible tells us - although many people misquote it - that the love of money is the root of all evil. The problem is that if one has become rich, it is because one has come to love money or power more than pretty much anything else.

If one can become rich and maintain proper spiritual perspectives, then that's different.

What Jesus is saying is that it's very difficult for one to become rich and still maintain the proper priorities, rather than making money and power into idols.

It's not the being rich that's the problem. The Bible tells us - although many people misquote it - that the love of money is the root of all evil. The problem is that if one has become rich, it is because one has come to love money or power more than pretty much anything else.

If one can become rich and maintain proper spiritual perspectives, then that's different.

Coolidge put it in perspective.

Often misquoted as ‘The business of America is business,” he really said: “... After all, the chief business of the American people is business. They are profoundly concerned with producing, buying, selling, investing and prospering in the world. I am strongly of opinion that the great majority of people will always find these are moving impulses of our life. … Wealth is the product of industry, ambition, character and untiring effort.

In all experience, the accumulation of wealth means the multiplication of schools, the increase of knowledge, the dissemination of intelligence, the encouragement of science, the broadening of outlook, the expansion of liberties, the widening of culture. Of course, the accumulation of wealth cannot be justified as the chief end of existence. But we are compelled to recognize it as a means to well-nigh every desirable achievement. So long as wealth is made the means and not the end, we need not greatly fear it.” January 17, 1925 Given before the American Society of Newspaper Editors

What Jesus is saying is that it's very difficult for one to become rich and still maintain the proper priorities, rather than making money and power into idols.
The phrase in question is very explicit, so I assume either the translation isn't accurate or there is a fair amount of interpretation involved in what the Bible says. It certainly makes more sense that the love of money and not just having it is the problem.

Jesus is saying we must put Him first and that people who have wealth often find that difficult. You are making this into an angry argument. Recall that Jesus had did have some wealthy friends- Lazarus and Joseph of Arimathea for example.
I am not making it into anything. I am reading what the words state very clearly and taking them literally. The gist of the replies I've received seems to be that the phrase should not be taken literally. But then that begs the question, how does one know what to take literally and what to interpret?

Money is just another object, in fact, just an idea. It is turning material (nothing more than feces) into the most important thing in life that debases a person. Life is not a thing, it is an essence. The important, transcendent thing about humans is creativity. Accumulating money is not creative. Squirrels accumulate what is valuable to them. Humans express their highest nature in painting, dancing, building, writing, loving, not storing up "stuff" that will have no importance at the last moment of life.

The phrase in question is very explicit, so I assume either the translation isn't accurate or there is a fair amount of interpretation involved in what the Bible says. It certainly makes more sense that the love of money and not just having it is the problem.

It's mostly that people are just sloppy, and don't remember it correctly. And, of course, everyone enjoys hating on wealthier people than themselves out of envy.

Forum List

Back