If You're the Richest or One of the Richest People in the World, Then Are You Doomed?

In the days that Jesus walked the earth it was a common way of speaking- exaggeration to make a point. Surely a camel going through the eye of a needle is impossible. Keep reading and you'll see that Jesus explains that it is impossible for man but nothing is impossible for God. The rich man must prefer God to wealth. That may indeed include giving his wealth away to help others.
OK but that makes it no less confusing. Is Jesus saying then that there has never been a wealthy person in the history of the world who died and went to heaven? All the philanthropists who created charities and organizations to ease the suffering of millions went to Hell because they still had too much money? How much would one need to give away to meet the 'requirements' for Heaven? All of it?
Jesus is saying we must put Him first and that people who have wealth often find that difficult. You are making this into an angry argument. Recall that Jesus had did have some wealthy friends- Lazarus and Joseph of Arimathea for example.
I am not making it into anything. I am reading what the words state very clearly and taking them literally. The gist of the replies I've received seems to be that the phrase should not be taken literally. But then that begs the question, how does one know what to take literally and what to interpret?
Context and other passages on the same subject help with interpretation. Consider the man who had a very big harvest and said to himself- I will tear down my barns, build bigger ones and put all this wheat in there. Then I will eat drink and be merry. He died that night. He thought of nobody but himself. His wealth was all for him. Jesus rewards those who feed the hungry etc because what you do to others you do to Him.

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God
For me, this has always been one of the oddest quotes from the Bible to understand. It is obviously impossible for a Camel to pass through the eye of a needle so it seems that Jesus is saying all rich people are going to Hell simply because they are rich. What if the rich person helps large numbers of poor people with his wealth? Doesn't Jesus in other scripture praise good deeds and helping people as being Godly?

I don't think of it as Godly. It's more about what you are going to do with it?

Even if you came into $2 billion (just what I think would be hard to give away for a regular person) thru inheritance or dumb luck such as a lottery, it would change your life. Money changes everything as I think another the proverb states. Maybe one becomes greedier or focused on money and not squandering it. It may cause a different set of problems than not having any. Some for the better and some for the worse. I have difficulty understanding it, too, as upon first reading it makes it near impossible to do. What happened to the young man who needed guidance?

Maybe the point wasn't about the young man, but thinking about helping those not as well off as you.
I don't think of it as Godly. It's more about what you are going to do with it?
"let them eat cake"
View attachment 441896
sometimes the conflict resolves itself - so discovered marie antoninette.

doesn't take a bible to know being selfish with one's riches is not proper behavior.

I took French in HS and this is just legend. She didn't say it and wasn't selfish with her riches. To the contrary, she was quite generous and a philanthropist. However, the people started to hate her because of the way she was perceived as being too friendly to France's enemies. She was executed with the King due to treason.
To the contrary, she was quite generous and a philanthropist. However, the people started to hate her because of the way she was perceived as being too friendly to France's enemies.
you don't get it bond -
and eventually ... -- Elon Musk
it is you who worship elon musk - space x ... rather than your country - nasa. a person not Garden Earth. by your comments, marie antoninette. your world view - been through any needles lately. family first.

as though your way is the only way - the same as how you wrote your book in the 4th century, about yourselves.

no doubt money was not what was meant in the 1st century, history repeats itself, antoninette is a good example. what truly was meant. and its execution.

I must've got to you with my Marie Antoniette factoid. You went discombobulated. I'm the one telling Musk there ain't any aliens because of no abiogenesis. Instead, just give your money to poor people and accept no life out there.
no doubt money was not what was meant in the 1st century,
I must've got to you with my Marie Antoniette factoid. You went discombobulated.
sure, the message wasn't whether rich or poor, money's influence on either, one way or the other as bearing on their wealth - being the outcome.

Last edited:
In the days that Jesus walked the earth it was a common way of speaking- exaggeration to make a point. Surely a camel going through the eye of a needle is impossible. Keep reading and you'll see that Jesus explains that it is impossible for man but nothing is impossible for God. The rich man must prefer God to wealth. That may indeed include giving his wealth away to help others.
OK but that makes it no less confusing. Is Jesus saying then that there has never been a wealthy person in the history of the world who died and went to heaven? All the philanthropists who created charities and organizations to ease the suffering of millions went to Hell because they still had too much money? How much would one need to give away to meet the 'requirements' for Heaven? All of it?

I thought it was Jeff Bezos by a mile, but...

The Book of Matthew is one of the hardest books to read IMHO.

"The Rich Young Man
16 And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” 17 And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, 19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

23 And Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:16-24
The King James reads differently:

Matthew 19:1-26

King James Version

1 And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these sayings, he departed from Galilee, and came into the coasts of Judea beyond Jordan;
2 And great multitudes followed him; and he healed them there.
3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.
11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.
13 Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.
14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
15 And he laid his hands on them, and departed thence.
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

I like this version better. And it compares well with the story found in Mark and Luke.
First it must be understood that JESUS is bringing to this rich young ruler's attention that JESUS is indeed God. JESUS says only GOD is good. JESUS isn't saying here that HE isn't God ---- HE is getting the young man to think. If only GOD is good and JESUS is indeed good, what does that make JESUS?
Next, JESUS tells the man to keep the commandments to have eternal life. The young ruler asks which ones?
Jesus said, "Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Now the rich young says that he does this but realizes that he isn't perfect. He knows that he is lacking something. Now, JESUS points out the rich young rulers underlying issue ----- his love of status, money, and power. JESUS was pointing out to this man that he (this rich man) has failed in keeping the law and isn't perfect ------ NO ONE IS UNLESS HE IS GOD. To this end, JESUS reveals that with GOD all might be saved. This also means that without GOD ----- no one can be saved. It is likely that this rich young ruler may eventually have become a Christian with the realization that one's works are always lacking in one form or another if one is honest with one's self. I feel JESUS was being very kind to this man and didn't hit him on the head with his hypocrisy. Now to get a camel through a very narrow and small gate, one must remove all the baggage, etc... The same goes with a person who dies --- you cannot take anything with you. You must leave it all behind ---- wealth, power, prestige. If one isn't willing to cast it aside, how can such a one expect to be happy in heaven? None of this will gain you entrance. None of this makes you worthy of entrance. And (like the camel) none of this is really yours to keep... Many rich people have a very hard time faced with such facts!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back