If you had only question for a space alien, what would it be?

Star Trek Delusions ...

Hollywood has convinced some people that space travelers are exploring the Universe in hopes of establishing
off-world, non-intrusive and benevolent relations or discovery with alien races.

The only real evidence is that space travelers are looking for something ... And you have no idea what they are looking for or why.
There is no reason to assume they share any virtues we may value here.
Not even to the degree of assuming one thing is intelligent, virtuous, good or evil, because their culture may not agree on those points.

Until they can establish mutually beneficial trade, they should be treated with suspicion.

If they can get here, they don't need to trade. They can just demand. It's hubris to imagine we currently have anything they would value, given the level of technology they would need to get here.

If they can get here, they don't need to trade. They can just demand. It's hubris to imagine we currently have anything they would value, given the level of technology they would need to get here.

I would have to agree with that on the condition you attempted to assume what they would or wouldn't want based on how you choose to view everything.

They are not bound to your reasoning in any way ... You don't even need to express your ideas on the matter.
That's why I included the qualifier of mutually beneficial trade as the only reason why you would even entertain the idea they weren't here simply to exploit us.

That's not even saying that they would be here to exploit us ...
Simply that we don't know, shouldn't assume, and should be suspicious.

I would have to agree with that on the condition you attempted to assume what they would or wouldn't want based on how you choose to view everything.

They are not bound to your reasoning in any way ... You don't even need to express your ideas on the matter.
That's why I included the qualifier of mutually beneficial trade as the only reason why you would even entertain the idea they weren't here simply to exploit us.

That's not even saying that they would be here to exploit us ...
Simply that we don't know, shouldn't assume, and should be suspicious.

Where is the mutual anything? By virtue of their technological superiority we have nothing to offer. There are more minerals available off planet, and just getting here would require them to resupply from raw materials we are currently unable to process. Our first contact would be more likely with machines, satellites or drones, not actual aliens. The human presumption is that we have inherent value, which isn't necessarily the case.

All theoretical of course.

Where is the mutual anything? By virtue of their technological superiority we have nothing to offer. There are more minerals available off planet, and just getting here would require them to resupply from raw materials we are currently unable to process. Our first contact would be more likely with machines, satellites or drones, not actual aliens. The human presumption is that we have inherent value, which isn't necessarily the case.

All theoretical of course.

Stop ... Mutually beneficial trade is trade where both sides agree they benefit and will trade.

Otherwise ... Anything you think is completely and utterly irrelevant.
They are in no way required to mirror anything you think ... Or any reasoning you apply.

They may trade you the knowledge of interstellar propulsion for a 30 gallon trash bag of discarded grass clippings.
It doesn't have to make sense to you, if that is what both parties mutually agree upon.

Nothing you think can be applied to a race of aliens that are not required to think like you.
What you assume or presume is what you think and could mean nothing to them.

You may think that trading for the bag of grass clippings wouldn't happen because it would be easier to exploit us because they are superior.
That is dependent on what you think about the grass clippings, what you might do, and what you think is superior.

To exploit us in that manner is something they might not even think is right or wrong.
To them the idea of exploiting us could be just as senseless as you running up to a woman with a baby carriage,
dropping your pants and taking a dump on the baby.

Nothing they think has to resemble what you think, your values or even human nature.

.​

Last edited:

Stop ... Mutually beneficial trade is trade where both sides agree they benefit and will trade.

Otherwise ... Anything you think is completely and utterly irrelevant.
They are in no way required to mirror anything you think ... Or any reasoning you apply.

They may trade you the knowledge of interstellar propulsion for a 30 gallon trash bag of discarded grass clippings.
It doesn't have to make sense to you, if that is what both parties mutually agree upon.

Nothing you think can be applied to a race of aliens that are not required to think like you.
What you assume or presume is what you think and could mean nothing to them.

You may think that trading for the bag of grass clippings wouldn't happen because it would be easier to exploit us because they are superior.
That is dependent on what you think about the grass clippings, what you might do, and what you think is superior.

To exploit us in that manner is something they might not even think is right or wrong.
To them the idea of exploiting us could be just a senseless as you running up to a woman with a baby carriage,
dropping your pants and taking a dump on the baby.

Nothing they think has to resemble what you think, your values or even human nature.

.​
You make as many presumptions as you claim I do. You presume a common form of communication is possible. No trade mutual or otherwise would be possible without it. You also assign the notion of value, ignoring the simpler notion of need.

You make as many presumptions as you claim I do. You presume a common form of communication is possible. No trade mutual or otherwise would be possible without it. You also assign the notion of value, ignoring the simpler notion of need.

To suggest not presuming something, is not to presume something.
Mutual is how we describe the agreement when both parties agree ... And I am not trying to negotiate the meaning of a word.

The point is that aliens are not required to mirror any parameters or boundaries you put on your thoughts or reasoning.
That doesn't mean I assume they may or may not apply ... Simply that I don't presume they must apply.

If you want to start arguing the meaning of words and how they may apply ... Buckle up baby ... :auiqs.jpg:

Last edited:

To suggest not presuming something, is not to presume something.
Mutual is how we describe the agreement when both parties agree ... And I am not trying to negotiate the meaning of a word.

The point is that aliens are not required to mirror any parameters or boundaries you put on your thoughts or reasoning.
That doesn't mean I assume they may or may not apply ... Simply that I don't presume they must apply.

If you want to start arguing the meaning of words and how they may apply ... Buckle up baby ... :auiqs.jpg:

Get over yourself. The topic at hand is all based upon human presumptions of something unknowable.

Get over yourself. The topic at hand is all based upon human presumptions of something unknowable.

The topic at hand is what would ask an alien ...
And being consistent with what I have posted, I first responded with ... "Will you be paying in cash or credit?"
I mean dang skip the crap and let's do business.

The fact you would approach an alien armed with nothing but your presumptions based on human experiences ...
Could mean that you are choosing to be foolish in your approach before you ever say a thing.​

The topic at hand is what would ask an alien ...
And being consistent with what I have posted, I first responded with ... "Will you be paying in cash or credit?"
I mean dang skip the crap and let's do business.

The fact you would approach an alien armed with nothing but your presumptions based on human experiences ...
Could mean that you are choosing to be foolish in your approach before you ever say a thing.​

Don't be silly. Pretending you have no presumptions, or worse, you can detach yourself from your own human limitations. You have become boring.

Star Trek Delusions ...

Hollywood has convinced some people that space travelers are exploring the Universe in hopes of establishing
off-world, non-intrusive and benevolent relations or discovery with alien races.

The only real evidence is that space travelers are looking for something ... And you have no idea what they are looking for or why.
There is no reason to assume they share any virtues we may value here.
Not even to the degree of assuming one thing is intelligent, virtuous, good or evil, because their culture may not agree on those points.

Until they can establish mutually beneficial trade, they should be treated with suspicion.

Totally agree. I'll keep my reply left-handed though. :)

But we also have to assume that if an alien race is advanced enough to develop the technology to get to Earth, then they had to survive and get through a lot of things that humans are currently having trouble with. And a lot of that is hatred and war, usually due to religion. So yeah, I want to know how they got past that, what they think about spirituality, and definitely want to hear their music. They have to have music! They couldn't survive in a vacuum. Music is one of the first signs of advanced intelligence and math. Even if it's just banging a stone to a beat.

Last edited:
Don't be silly. Pretending you have no presumptions, or worse, you can detach yourself from your own human limitations. You have become boring.

If it is boring and you cannot escape your own reasoning,
then understand you are trapped within yourself, and it has nothing to do with me ... :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back