If an EV is in your future, keep this issue in mind

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
The Battery. When you drive your normal car, you need not think about the weight of the battery. It is pretty lightweight in fact. But if you plan to buy an EV, the battery can weigh 2 tons. Think of adding 2 tons of rocks to your Chevrolet IC car. (IC internal combustion) I want to offer a video made in Australia by a STEM kind of person. He knows engineering. He has the figures of CO2 for the various types of car. He talks about a Hyundai model I believe compared to an EV. Anyway this is to help you make decisions and not provoke arguments.

The roads will be torn up worse than they already are...
Just think about all the petroleum based asphalt that will be needed for repairs...

Prolonged cold weather will, not might, will decrease the range of the car between 40%-50%.
Temperatures above 84 degrees (nearly all summer long) degrades battery performance as well.
Over 95 degrees cuts the range between 15% - 20%.
HOWEVER - above 104 degrees it is advised you do not operate the car at all to avoid permanent damage.

i heard that if you get into a fender bender the car is totaled because the manufacturer wont guarantee the integrity of the battery ! and therefore the insurance is sky high on a full ev car .
I have not yet looked at them with the eye towards insurance. But it would not take a hell of a wreck for the battery to be destroyed. And of course then there is a fire danger. And if one is trapped in the burning car, death is likely to be the fate of the passengers.

1695850819691.png

~S~

Prolonged cold weather will, not might, will decrease the range of the car between 40%-50%.
Temperatures above 84 degrees (nearly all summer long) degrades battery performance as well.
Over 95 degrees cuts the range between 15% - 20%.
HOWEVER - above 104 degrees it is advised you do not operate the car at all to avoid permanent damage.
People need to get a grasp of the battery that drives the EV. And some of the above is new to me. Can you document those figures?

My town got its first charging station and its powered with a diesel generator.... LMAO....
I used to live in Fremont, CA and the local COSTCO store got the bright idea to put charging stations close to the front and keep the spaces vacant for EV. The spaces when I would go to the store were always empty. The store constructed a new larger store about 2 miles away and never put charging stations there that i know of.

People need to get a grasp of the battery that drives the EV. And some of the above is new to me. Can you document those figures?

How Cold Weather Affects Electric Car Batteries​

When temperatures drop, electric car batteries can suffer from reduced performance. Here's why:
  • Lithium-ion batteries that power electric cars are most efficient when they operate between 15°C and 25°C.
  • In colder temperatures, the battery's chemical reactions slow down, which reduces its efficiency and overall performance.
  • Low temperatures can also impact the battery's ability to accept a charge, reduce the available range and its power output.
  • The cold weather can also cause the electrical resistance to increase, leading to rapid discharge or slower charging times.

The Effects of Cold Weather on Battery Range​

The battery range is one of the key features that potential electric vehicle buyers consider when making a purchase. The range is how far the car can travel on a single charge, and it's a major concern in colder climates. In freezing temperatures, the battery range can be reduced by up to 40%. This means that owners of electric cars may need to charge their vehicles more frequently and carefully plan their trips in cold weather conditions.

energy5.com and others

I used to live in Fremont, CA and the local COSTCO store got the bright idea to put charging stations close to the front and keep the spaces vacant for EV. The spaces when I would go to the store were always empty. The store constructed a new larger store about 2 miles away and never put charging stations there that i know of.
My town is mostly trucks and suv's... not sure why they put it here but its never full...

My town is mostly trucks and suv's... not sure why they put it here but its never full...
I was just reading that gas stations profits are on the stuff they sell in the store and not much on the gasoline. So since EV take a long time to charge, profits will fall to the point that gas stations won't have EV chargers there. LOVE chain of truck stops is putting in some chargers.

I have not yet looked at them with the eye towards insurance. But it would not take a hell of a wreck for the battery to be destroyed. And of course then there is a fire danger. And if one is trapped in the burning car, death is likely to be the fate of the passengers.
from what i was told the battery doesnt have to be damaged for the car to be totaled .. the fact that the battery could be slightly damaged internally would be enough for insurers to total the car .

I was just reading that gas stations profits are on the stuff they sell in the store and not much on the gasoline. So since EV take a long time to charge, profits will fall to the point that gas stations won't have EV chargers there. LOVE chain of truck stops is putting in some chargers.
That's interesting... I never thought of that angle...

from what i was told the battery doesnt have to be damaged for the car to be totaled .. the fact that the battery could be slightly damaged internally would be enough for insurers to total the car .
I plan to call insurance firms to get quotes on their insurance costs. Say one buys a $70,000 Tesla. Bet the insurance is out of the range of most of us.

i heard that if you get into a fender bender the car is totaled because the manufacturer wont guarantee the integrity of the battery ! and therefore the insurance is sky high on a full ev car .
Yes they cost significantly more to insure and somewhat more expensive to repair, somewhat less to fuel and maintain so far as I have read.

But I'm a nervous nelly if our fuel tank gets below half full on our car. I would be a nervous wreck worrying about whether I had enough electricity in my battery to get me where I'm going and back. I don't want one.

The electric trike will be enclosed and weigh less than 100 pounds with the battery. Cold weather will not affect the battery because it will be inside an insulated, heated compartment. Charging will cost $.25 per 25+ mile range and free if solar panels do the recharge and those are already paid for.

I won't ever be buying an electric vehicle...
I wouldn't say that.

What I would say is that I would never buy a Lithium - Ion battery vehicle. Really terrible technology. Most people that bought L-I vehicles will regret them.

There may a good battery technology vehicle in the future but we aren't there yet.

For instance, the Solid State battery technology sounds promising but there are several significant engineering obstacles to be overcome.

If you do city driving for short distance a hybrid is actually a better choice than an EV.

I was considering them but the difference in price from an ICE vehicle would be greater than what we would save in gas for several years. Then we would have the additional cost of replacing the battery.

For now I am sticking with good ole reliable ICE. We have a Pilot now but probably the next vehicle I will get my wife will be a Honda CRV. Very reliable, well made, plenty of room, great resale and 30 MPG city and almost 40 highway.

Forum List

Back