If an EV is in your future, keep this issue in mind

And they only need to land to change batteries every 200 miles.
There is a better way.

Don’t “charge” your battery, replace it with a charged one and get credit for any charge still in your old battery.

carbattery8.jpg

:)-

I was not aware that new reserves are being added each year.

Please provide some examples.

Thanks in advance.

• Proved reserves of U.S. crude oil and lease condensate increased by 6.2 billion barrels (16%), from 38.2 billion barrels to 44.4 billion barrels at year-end 2021 (Table 1).

• Proved reserves of U.S. crude oil and lease condensate increased by 6.2 billion barrels (16%), from 38.2 billion barrels to 44.4 billion barrels at year-end 2021 (Table 1).

Wait one cotton-pickin' minute ...

Let's move the goalposts and focus on cheap, easy-to-get-to fossil fuel reserves ... like Spindletop or surface coal deposits ... because that's closer to zero billion barrels added reserves every year ...

I understand "peak oil" ... and let's assume this is a long time from now ... we still have basic human nature and we're using up all the cheapest most profitable fossil fuels right now ... leaving either less profits or higher retail prices for our children ...

... unless you're including natural gas ...

Wait one cotton-pickin' minute ...

Let's move the goalposts and focus on cheap, easy-to-get-to fossil fuel reserves ... like Spindletop or surface coal deposits ... because that's closer to zero billion barrels added reserves every year ...

I understand "peak oil" ... and let's assume this is a long time from now ... we still have basic human nature and we're using up all the cheapest most profitable fossil fuels right now ... leaving either less profits or higher retail prices for our children ...

... unless you're including natural gas ...
Absolutely. That’s how it’s naturally done. The big prolific conventional reservoirs are naturally found and developed first. Those days are long gone. But the earth is really big and holds a lot of the smaller conventional reservoirs and a massive non conventional reserve base. And that’s without factoring in natural gas which is an even more massive resource than oil.

Absolutely. That’s how it’s naturally done. The big prolific conventional reservoirs are naturally found and developed first. Those days are long gone. But the earth is really big and holds a lot of the smaller conventional reservoirs and a massive non conventional reserve base. And that’s without factoring in natural gas which is an even more massive resource than oil.

Free market solutions ... when solar/wind/hydro are cheaper than fossil fuels ... we'll make the change over without government intervention ...

I don't blame the Oklahoma cattle rancher for putting up a wind mill over his oil pumps ... he already has electric service there, and we both know how expense that is ... so don't blame me for driving a golf cart by the gynormous hydroelectric dam ...

My advice is to protect your own wallet, no one else will ...

I understand "peak oil" ... and let's assume this is a long time from now ...
Below is what I have found. You can do the math

Globally, crude's reserves-to-production ratio has hovered between 40-55 years. The 1P estimate is an estimate of proven reserves, what is likely to be extracted from a well, 90% probability. Probable reserves are given 50% certainty (2P) and possible reserves a 10% certainty (3P).

Overall, global supply fell by 720,000 barrels per day in August, .2017

our forecast horizon we will be in a 104 mb/d market and the call on OPEC crude and stock change rises from 32.2 mb/d in 2016 to 35.8 mb/d in 2022. With the group forecast to add 1.95 mb/d to production capacity in this period, this implies that available spare production capacity will fall below 2 mb/d.

Oil is a resource… it will run out
For decades now, the topic of when our oil will run out has been the focus of analysts and industry experts. The concern is real. Oil is a resource and will eventually be depleted. Once we discover and process all sources, there’s nothing else. It’s only a question of time.

Oil still remains the largest source of primary energy worldwide. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, still enough to meet the global demand for liquid fuels for another 25 years. The good news is that developing countries are now seriously exploring and using alternative and renewable energy.

North Sea is running too dry to meet target

The real casus belli: peak oil

Science Panel Finds Fault With Estimates of Coal Supply
Published: June 21, 2007 Science Panel Finds Fault With Estimates of Coal Supply (Published 2007)

Chevron announces that they now have 11.8 years of oil left at current production levels after aquir-ing Unocal reserves

An Oil Enigma: Production Falls Even as Reserves Rise

"The decline of oil and gas will affect the world population more than climate change"

Department of Energy estimated the world's supply of unexploited oil reserves the world supply of oil will be totally exhausted 35 years from now (June 2003).

World oil and gas 'running out'

"Texas' oil resource is pretty well picked over,"

Oman's Oil Yield Long in Decline, Shell Data Show

Half of Texas’s oil wells have dried up in the past 40 years and there are very few new ones.

The end of the Fossil Fuel era is upon us so what are we going to do next-?

Summary Table as of 2017
Oil Reserves
1,650,585,140,000 barrels
Oil Consumption
barrels per year
97,103,871 barrels per day
Reserves/Consumption
47 (years left)

World Oil Statistics - Worldometer
(Data shown in the table is for 2016. Counter shows current estimate.)
I am bewildered to watch people jump up and down to create renewables because of climate change when at the same time oil reserves are running out too.
I find it ironic that both goals have the same end in mind.

The Battery. When you drive your normal car, you need not think about the weight of the battery. It is pretty lightweight in fact. But if you plan to buy an EV, the battery can weigh 2 tons. Think of adding 2 tons of rocks to your Chevrolet IC car. (IC internal combustion) I want to offer a video made in Australia by a STEM kind of person. He knows engineering. He has the figures of CO2 for the various types of car. He talks about a Hyundai model I believe compared to an EV. Anyway this is to help you make decisions and not provoke arguments.

My car, the entire car, weights a bit more than a ton and a half.

The electric trike will be enclosed and weigh less than 100 pounds with the battery. Cold weather will not affect the battery because it will be inside an insulated, heated compartment. Charging will cost $.25 per 25+ mile range and free if solar panels do the recharge and those are already paid for.
And how many people can I transport to the doctor, hospital, other important places on that trike? How many groceries or hardware items can it carry along with me? What happens if my errand is more than 25 miles there and back? If I'm just running a few miles to the bank and back or picking up a prescription great. But we group errands so save fuel and that trike I think won't cut it. Might as well ride my bicycle. Emissions zero.

And how am I, with such a craft, supposed to get myself and a few hundred pounds of tools to a construction site that may be up to eighty miles away from my home, and to get my tools and myself back home from there at the end of the day?

Summary Table as of 2017
Oil Reserves
1,650,585,140,000 barrels
Oil Consumption
barrels per year
97,103,871 barrels per day
Reserves/Consumption
47 (years left)

World Oil Statistics - Worldometer
(Data shown in the table is for 2016. Counter shows current estimate.)
I am bewildered to watch people jump up and down to create renewables because of climate change when at the same time oil reserves are running out too.
I find it ironic that both goals have the same end in mind.
In my case, my complaint is not the EV, it is the batteries used in EVs. We rushed into batteries when the truth is Hydrogen is a superior path to EVs.

My car, the entire car, weights a bit more than a ton and a half.
I suppose you mean yours has the battery supplying electricity to the motor?

Hell, no!

It's a real car, with a internal combustion engine. As in all real cars the only thing it needs a battery for is to run the starter to start the engine.

I do not own an EV. But think of how much water is on the planet. And 75 percent of the surface is ocean. A huge supply of hydrogen.

Do you understand that to get that hydrogen from the water, you have to put more energy into the process, than what you get back by burning that hydrogen?

On another note, with the majority of the Earth covered with water, consider that almost none of that water is significantly carbonated. This means that the Earth is flat,

Can you drive a hydrogen-fueled vehicle from Sacramento to Los Angeles?
YES

There are a few hydrogen fueling stations in and around Sacramento. Quite a few more, in and around Than Fwanthithco.

But once you go south from there, how far short of the next hydrogen fueling station along any route to Los Angeles will you be, when you run out of fuel? And how much will it cost you to have your hydrogen power car towed to the nearest place to refuel it?

Forum List

Back