If an EV is in your future, keep this issue in mind

1695853771314.png

~S~

People need to get a grasp of the battery that drives the EV. And some of the above is new to me. Can you document those figures?
It's common knowledge that extreme temps affect batteries. The last two batteries I had to get for my car died in the winter.

The electric trike will be enclosed and weigh less than 100 pounds with the battery. Cold weather will not affect the battery because it will be inside an insulated, heated compartment. Charging will cost $.25 per 25+ mile range and free if solar panels do the recharge and those are already paid for.
And how many people can I transport to the doctor, hospital, other important places on that trike? How many groceries or hardware items can it carry along with me? What happens if my errand is more than 25 miles there and back? If I'm just running a few miles to the bank and back or picking up a prescription great. But we group errands so save fuel and that trike I think won't cut it. Might as well ride my bicycle. Emissions zero.

I wouldn't say that.

What I would say is that I would never buy a Lithium - Ion battery vehicle. Really terrible technology. Most people that bought L-I vehicles will regret them.

There may a good battery technology vehicle in the future but we aren't there yet.

For instance, the Solid State battery technology sounds promising but there are several significant engineering obstacles to be overcome.

If you do city driving for short distance a hybrid is actually a better choice than an EV.

I was considering them but the difference in price from an ICE vehicle would be greater than what we would save in gas for several years. Then we would have the additional cost of replacing the battery.

For now I am sticking with good ole reliable ICE. We have a Pilot now but probably the next vehicle I will get my wife will be a Honda CRV. Very reliable, well made, plenty of room, great resale and 30 MPG city and almost 40 highway.

For me personally, a car is basically just a toy. I don't really think of them as utilities any more. There was obviously a time when this wasn't the case and I was humping it every day just like everybody else and had to think about those things, but that was long before any of this stuff came along and long before our purchasing power across the board was put on the chopping block.

Now it's just me and I don't have to haul kids around or go into a 9-5 job any more. I don't owe any lenders anything. I've no real need to worry about managing fuel expenses/mileage or room in that way. Don't have to worry about whether anyone else is or isn't happy. So learning about/comparing battery technology just doesn't apply. But I understand where it would come into play for folks who would consider electric vehicles based on those life prerequisites.

But need just doesn't play into it for me. For me it's more wants than needs that drive my decisions when it comes to buying cars. Heck, I was looking at an '85 that the owner was asking 70 thousand for the other day. It's a sweet car for what it is. I would sooner buy that one than I would a new car, whether it be electric or ICE. And pretty much all of these newer cars look identical anyway. They're bland. At least all of the ones which are aimed at the mainstream market for daily driving. Of course, I'm just one person. And vastly outnumbered in the mainsteam market since there's a lot more people who have to finance and have families and daily job travel and the associated costs to consider at the same time they're paying off their house and college and then a car payment and whatnot.

Last edited:
And how many people can I transport to the doctor, hospital, other important places on that trike? How many groceries or hardware items can it carry along with me? What happens if my errand is more than 25 miles there and back? If I'm just running a few miles to the bank and back or picking up a prescription great. But we group errands so save fuel and that trike I think won't cut it. Might as well ride my bicycle. Emissions zero.
You surmise that the cup's half empty. We surmise that it's first half full. That is why you are (forced [italics]) to abandon the reasoning a "fight to the death for pure prestige" (Lacan). To dismiss EV microtransport also dismisses the initial answer to low temperatures and the northern environment in which the electric trike is evolving, as these problems are being addressed, as we've already mentioned.

The pathology of kissing the Pimp's ring due to (cost [italics]) is completely overlooked in your argument.

Hauling ~150 pounds is accomplished via a small trailer, which can double as a mount for a solar panel. The Aptera already has built-in solar panels, and they operate quite well on a sunny winter day.

Furthermore, the concepts of affordability and safety are potent ones. The stability of a winter trike eliminates most of the risk of accidents especially for broken bones in the elderly. So it's intelligent to design for single riders first rather than jumping into an attempt to solve the transport pathology once-and-for-all for everyone.

The winter electric trike also has (exercise capability for the upper body [it.]: resistance bands) which for the most part, trumps the car pooling scenario, which would look ridiculous in a cartoon.

You surmise that the cup's half empty. We surmise that it's first half full. That is why you are (forced [italics]) to abandon the reasoning a "fight to the death for pure prestige" (Lacan). To dismiss EV microtransport also dismisses the initial answer to low temperatures and the northern environment in which the electric trike is evolving, as these problems are being addressed, as we've already mentioned.

The pathology of kissing the Pimp's ring due to (cost [italics]) is completely overlooked in your argument.

Hauling ~150 pounds is accomplished via a small trailer, which can double as a mount for a solar panel. The Aptera already has built-in solar panels, and they operate quite well on a sunny winter day.

Furthermore, the concepts of affordability and safety are potent ones. The stability of a winter trike eliminates most of the risk of accidents especially for broken bones in the elderly. So it's intelligent to design for single riders first rather than jumping into an attempt to solve the transport pathology once-and-for-all for everyone.

The winter electric trike also has (exercise capability for the upper body [it.]: resistance bands) which for the most part, trumps the car pooling scenario, which would look ridiculous in a cartoon.
The days that winter driving is hazardous are pretty few here, at least, any more than the usual hazards of venturing out with the often bumper to bumper Jeeps, SUVS, other 4WD, city busses etc. on the city streets here.

And I'll see how my Aunt Betty who will be 97 on Saturday feels about riding that trailer to any of the 1 or 2 on average appointments I usually take her every week. She probably is going to have to give up her driver's license and car due to weakening eyesight this year so the places she will need me to take her to will substantially increase. As for my husband, he ain't taking a trike to the grocery or hardware store and he's not riding in that trailer. :)

(Anybody interested in a 2010 Lexus AWD, fully loaded, in mint condition and meticulously maintained, 29,000 miles on it, always garaged when not in us, one owner?)

How Cold Weather Affects Electric Car Batteries​

When temperatures drop, electric car batteries can suffer from reduced performance. Here's why:
  • Lithium-ion batteries that power electric cars are most efficient when they operate between 15°C and 25°C.
  • In colder temperatures, the battery's chemical reactions slow down, which reduces its efficiency and overall performance.
  • Low temperatures can also impact the battery's ability to accept a charge, reduce the available range and its power output.
  • The cold weather can also cause the electrical resistance to increase, leading to rapid discharge or slower charging times.

The Effects of Cold Weather on Battery Range​

The battery range is one of the key features that potential electric vehicle buyers consider when making a purchase. The range is how far the car can travel on a single charge, and it's a major concern in colder climates. In freezing temperatures, the battery range can be reduced by up to 40%. This means that owners of electric cars may need to charge their vehicles more frequently and carefully plan their trips in cold weather conditions.

energy5.com and others

So, in a nut shell, we need at least triple the climate change for EV's to work optimally!!

The Battery.

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...

Alessandro Volta used copper and zinc in the 18th Century ... today we use lead and sulfur ... otherwise the technology is exactly the same ... when I bought my first car, the battery was dead ... when my first child was conceived, the battery was dead ... when my third child was born, the battery was dead ... my mother's funeral, the battery was dead ...

I've broken motor mount bump-starting cars and not using the starter motor because the battery was dead ...

I like my chances with marriage to be honest ... a woman's scorn is better than a dead battery ...

=====

I should maybe make an honest comment .. I guess ... we've had EVs all this time ... golf carts ... in my experience, a round of golf is 8 to 10 miles easy ... if you're too lazy to walk that far, then a battery-powered golf cart is very useful ... as it would be going to the grocery store and loading up with a few weeks food for the family ... maybe a little bigger for a commuter pod, you know, 20 miles to and 20 miles back from work ...

This is for people who REFUSE to car pool ... people who REFUSE to use public transportation ... people who REFUSE to ride a bicycle ... [shrugs shoulders] ... part of the solution is removing 90% of passenger vehicles from the roads, that includes EVs ...

This post is powered by hydro ... no carbon was emitted into the atmosphere here on my end ... so I'm using cheapest-in-the-nation formerly cheapest-in-the-nation (10¢/kW-hr in Washington State) electric rates ... weird, all the windiest states are cheapest now, I wonder why? ...

I was just reading that gas stations profits are on the stuff they sell in the store and not much on the gasoline. So since EV take a long time to charge, profits will fall t
No one here seems capable of grasping the hard-core facts. Fossil fuels are finite.

Facts are facts and wishful thinking is something altogether different.

Summary Table as of 2017
Oil Reserves
1,650,585,140,000 barrels
Oil Consumption
barrels per year
97,103,871 barrels per day
Reserves/Consumption
47 (years left)

World Oil Statistics - Worldometer
Please remember, the above table is six (6) years old

When the well runs dry that is it, period, no if buts or what’s.

The solution is you don’t sit around waiting for your battery to recharge, you exchange it instead.
:)-

Don't worry about it. We get warnings during a 2 day heat wave...in Maine- lol
Please use Do not use all your appliances after hours. ha ha ha. :auiqs.jpg:

right now- I have to charge- a drill- a chainsaw- a weed whacker- a Phone- batteries?
I can not wait till we all have plug in with cars.
ha ha ha

And they want all of us to use electric stoves and HEAT?
Do you environmental nuts have any clue what electric heat costs,, Anyone who listens to this propaganda is a nit wit! :p
get ready to pay up.
and once they got you- watch the cost go up.

No one here seems capable of grasping the hard-core facts. Fossil fuels are finite.

Summary Table as of 2017
Oil Reserves
Oil Consumption
barrels per year
Reserves/Consumption
47 (years left)

The solution is you don’t sit around waiting for your battery to recharge, you exchange it instead.
Oil reserves are an unknown. Let's admit however the supply is finite. But must we walk into the fire to get out of the frying pan? Batteries are a lousy way to store electricity. A hundred years from now they will call our batteries a dumb idea and primitive thinking.

Summary Table as of 2017
Oil Reserves
Oil Consumption
barrels per year
Reserves/Consumption
47 (years left)

What about the new reserves they add every year? Where is that accounted for in your math?

Forum List

Back