I thought prices went UP during a recession?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I thought prices on stocks, gold, silver, copper, etc..... went UP during recession/inflation?

I just checked on my silver and gold updates, and seems they've gone DOWN a great deal.

So........are you supposed to BUY, BUY, BUY during inflation and recession and sell when the economy is doing really well?
I thought it was the other way around.

I thought prices on stocks, gold, silver, copper, etc..... went UP during recession/inflation?

I just checked on my silver and gold updates, and seems they've gone DOWN a great deal.

So........are you supposed to BUY, BUY, BUY during inflation and recession and sell when the economy is doing really well?
/—-/: Me too. Apparently the rules have changed and there are no safe havens left. All my holdings are underwater and the best I can do is sell covered calls to recoup cash.

/—-/: Me too. Apparently the rules have changed and there are no safe havens left. All my holdings are underwater and the best I can do is sell covered calls to recoup cash.

Well, I'm holding out as long as I possibly can. I'd like to sell when Trump gets back in office, cause you know this shits gonna go thru the roof once the Dems are all kicked out!!

Well, I'm holding out as long as I possibly can. I'd like to sell when Trump gets back in office, cause you know this shits gonna go thru the roof once the Dems are all kicked out!!
I’m hoping that we’ll have a bounce when we take over the House in the November election, since we’ll at least be able to stop Biden’s inflation-exacerbating spending and handouts.

If, Gd forbid, the Dems cheat enough to retain control, there will be another 30% down.

I think the idea is to buy when the stocks are priced very low. People will be selling them so as not to be left with nothing. You have to choose one which it looks like will likely recover and go on making money. So you buy it then and then you sell when you want once it has grown in value. If your lucky you could make a lot.

and certainly here ordinary prices are going up but for stocks it is when they go down that you can buy to make a profit. The 2008 Recession was to do with stocks going down quickly.

Last edited:
When interest rates went so low, even negative in some cases, bond investors flooded into stocks as they had nowhere else to go. With interest rates now climbing, those who prefer bonds are exiting the stock market and getting back into bonds. That reduces demand and therefore prices for stocks.

Gold has been "up" since George W Bush's first term, when it went from $300 an ounce to well over $1500..... where it has more or less stayed.

Why would the prices go up during a recession?

Forum List

Back