I think a couple of yutes were scoping out my home...

1. get another dog......sometimes the sound of a barking dog will deter a possible intruder. AND dogs hear alot more than you do and sound the alarm. It'll give you time to get to other defenses.

2. get yourself a pump action shotgun even if the idea of shooting someone is out of the question for you.........in most cases, all you'd have to do is cock a round into the chamber. Everybody, even the most innocent, recognize that sound and change a criminals mind. I don't know if they have blanks for shotguns (probably yes), if so get some just in case for some odd reason cocking the gun didn't scare them off, you can shoot a blank to reinforce the idea that you can protect yourself.

3. You can make your own pepper spray........dry and grind hot peppers and mix with water, keep in a spray bottle.

4., Fill a spray bottle that can shoot a stream several feet away with ammonia, then squirt them in the eyes with it. It's a nerve agent. It won't kill them, but they'll wish they were.

You're damn lucky criminals wait until dark.......around here they don't. Crimes are done at any time of the day or night, even while other people are present.

1. get another dog......sometimes the sound of a barking dog will deter a possible intruder. AND dogs hear alot more than you do and sound the alarm. It'll give you time to get to other defenses.

2. get yourself a pump action shotgun even if the idea of shooting someone is out of the question for you.........in most cases, all you'd have to do is cock a round into the chamber. Everybody, even the most innocent, recognize that sound and change a criminals mind. I don't know if they have blanks for shotguns (probably yes), if so get some just in case for some odd reason cocking the gun didn't scare them off, you can shoot a blank to reinforce the idea that you can protect yourself.

3. You can make your own pepper spray........dry and grind hot peppers and mix with water, keep in a spray bottle.

4., Fill a spray bottle that can shoot a stream several feet away with ammonia, then squirt them in the eyes with it. It's a nerve agent. It won't kill them, but they'll wish they were.

You're damn lucky criminals wait until dark.......around here they don't. Crimes are done at any time of the day or night, even while other people are present.
That pepper spray idea is on point. Thanks. I wish I had some atm to dry out though I do have powdered cayanne pepper which I like.to.consume:(

Last edited:
Some of you may get the Joe Peschi reference. I won't get into great detaiIs but all the signs were.there. Rapid, loud knock on the door,.noone in front or back as I arrived fairly quickly. I see a couple of young mens back walking down the street, they weren't dressed for door to door sales. I am not driving so no car is in the driveway and they would have had just enough time to check out the side window situation.(which is where they may have popped out from). We can't defend ourselves in Canada and my dog is older than I am. Ideas on how to block weak spots?
WASP SPRAY

That pepper spray idea is on point. Thanks. I wish I had some atm to dry out though I do have powdered cayanne pepper which I like.to.consume:(

The other suggestions really are something to think about. At the very least, get another dog. Large breeds can get expensive and eat you out of house & home, but are great deterrents from criminals and protective of their owners. Getting a small breed, like a chihuahua is easier to feed and care for, but they yip & yap like small dogs do and don't usually provide the 'fear factor', even though they can be vicious little suckers......I'd recommend a Jack Russell. They are compact in size, yet have enough umpf in their bark to sound like a larger breed and they can be quite loyal and protective of their owners too.

If you don't leave your home to go shopping or other activities, then order the peppers and even ammonia (household cleaner) from Amazon or other online sites to be delivered.

Forum List

Back