Supermarket self checkout....I'm a fan!

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
I'm not sure what the big fuss is but I do know that at one point in time not too long ago I grew very weary of waiting for 25 and 30 minutes in a checkout line especially when there was a malfunction at the register or somebody's credit card or debit card just wouldn't work. Many times I had a carriage full of goods at Walmart and grew so tired of the wait that while I was standing in line I replaced the entire carriage with an Amazon order... sent it in.... then simply pushed the carriage aside and walked out the door. There was nothing that I was so desperate for that I couldn't wait another day or two for. Now with Walmart's new self checkout everything is zippity zap quick! Before I enter the line I make sure all the barcodes are turned up and in a matter of 30 seconds with a furious flash of laser lines and a soliloquy of beeps I'm checked out! I realize that some people have a tremendous amount of trouble with it but for me it's the best thing that's ever happened to the retail industry.

Jo

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the big fuss is but I do know that at one point in time not too long ago I grew very weary of waiting for 25 and 30 minutes in a checkout line especially when there was a malfunction at the register or somebody's credit card or debit card just wouldn't work. Many times I had a carriage full of goods at Walmart and grew so tired of the wait that while I was standing in line I replaced the entire carriage with an Amazon order... sent it in.... then simply pushed the carriage aside and walked out the door. There was nothing that I was so desperate for that I couldn't wait another day or two for. Now with Walmart's new self checkout everything is zippity zap quick! Before I enter the line I make sure all the barcodes are turned up and in a matter of 30 seconds with a furious flash of laser lines and a soliloquy of beeps I'm checked out! I realized that some people have a tremendous amount of trouble with it but for me it's the best thing that's ever happened to the retail industry.

Jo
You could get a job as a cashier! :aargh:

I'm usually okay with it, but I don't want to also be treated like a potential criminal at the exit, checking my cart and receipt. Also, sometimes I stock up when there is a sale, like the recent one for Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, which I use a lot of. There's no way for even the employees to scan one can and then multiply that by 30 cans. They can only do that at the actual, manned registers.

I don't like it. First, someone is out of a job. Second, the line is just as long as when there was a checker working, third, the thing never works right and then I have to wait for someone to come 'fix' the damn thing. Fourth, if I buy paint, alcohol, electronics or otc drugs, I have to wait for someone to come check my id.
Nope, I don't like it. If you do then good for you.
Self checkout is making me shop at other smaller stores.

I'm not sure what the big fuss is but I do know that at one point in time not too long ago I grew very weary of waiting for 25 and 30 minutes in a checkout line especially when there was a malfunction at the register or somebody's credit card or debit card just wouldn't work. Many times I had a carriage full of goods at Walmart and grew so tired of the wait that while I was standing in line I replaced the entire carriage with an Amazon order... sent it in.... then simply pushed the carriage aside and walked out the door. There was nothing that I was so desperate for that I couldn't wait another day or two for. Now with Walmart's new self checkout everything is zippity zap quick! Before I enter the line I make sure all the barcodes are turned up and in a matter of 30 seconds with a furious flash of laser lines and a soliloquy of beeps I'm checked out! I realize that some people have a tremendous amount of trouble with it but for me it's the best thing that's ever happened to the retail industry.

Jo

I like it as long as I done have a shitload of items to scan.

I'm usually okay with it, but I don't want to also be treated like a potential criminal at the exit, checking my cart and receipt. Also, sometimes I stock up when there is a sale, like the recent one for Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, which I use a lot of. There's no way for even the employees to scan one can and then multiply that by 30 cans. They can only do that at the actual, manned registers.
When I have multiple duplicate items I only hold one up and scan it quickly many times. But I hear you.

That will sometimes set off the anti-theft measures at each register, because after each scan it expects to see the weight of that item in the bagging area.
Yeah....Walmart has it set up now so that you don't Even need to unload the cart. It may cause some theft...not sure.

Yeah....Walmart has it set up now so that you don't Even need to unload the cart. It may cause some theft...not sure.
Not mine. I still have to scan each item, then put it in the bagging area. In fact, sometimes the large cold bag I sometimes bring for anything frozen will even trigger the scale in bagging, saying "unexpected item in bagging area". Pain in the ass.

I use to like it when I got to smile and say good morning to the cashier. If there was a line I could chat with someone behind me inline. I often offer to let people (with just a couple of items) get in line ahead of me....human interaction! Heck, the best place to find a wife is at the grocery store..... The self checkout, where I live, is used by clever thieves that can actually steal quite a bit. The scale thing does not know filet mignon from diet soda. So...they have an employee (watching you like a hawk) that is stationed, to make sure you are not a thief........I like the old way.

I personally don't like to use the self checkout....I just don't use it..... until there is no other possibility

I prefer to wait a minute or so, and be served by a human cashier! :biggrin:

Jo
I've been using the self-serve cashier since Walmart went to 100% self-serve.

Course I miss being asked if I'd like to contribute to the "Kids Without Legs Fund" every time I checkout.

Joe Biden's policies hit me directly in the wallet and that usually puts me in a bad mood when I see the totals.

Forum List

Back