"I am coming Lord"

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I was wondering if this hymn gets a hearing in American churches anymore ? It was written by a Methodist minister in Iowa and is beautiful.

This is the Welsh version. - “Gwahoddiad”

Americans are not a musical people, for the most part. Yes, we exported rock and roll and all it's offshoots to the world, but even so that remains a pastime of the few. We are great CONSUMERS of music, but not great makers of it. We are not a singing people. We don't gather instruments together to make music for fun.

It's sad actually. To me, anyway.

Musical people make music. They don't just put earbuds in, see. They make it.

Do our people stop and sing with drummers on the street, as in Africa?

Do our people sing in pubs, as in the UK? Or sing anywhere? We don't sing the National Anthem. We don't even sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", which isn't super easy but not nearly as difficult as SSB.

I don't see Americans gathering instruments together as a matter of course to make music. We give our kids lessons and take band in 6th-7th grade and then forget it. I stand by what I said absolutely.

Americans are not a musical people, for the most part. Yes, we exported rock and roll and all it's offshoots to the world, but even so that remains a pastime of the few. We are great CONSUMERS of music, but not great makers of it. We are not a singing people. We don't gather instruments together to make music for fun.

American churches have a 300 year history of music..

Most all of our music was derived from tribal chants the darkies sang while picking cotton.

True story.

American churches have a 300 year history of music..

When is the last time you were in an American, Christian church? Most barely sing. Certainly not like the video Tommy linked.

I'm not proud of this. It's sad, but Americans appreciate music. We are not a musical people outside of a few pockets of history and geography. Like the Appalachians, etc.

Most all of our music was derived from tribal chants the darkies sang while picking cotton.

True story.

LOLOL.. You must not go to church very often. There is a long, long tradition of Hymns in addition to black gospel contributions.

True story.

Well, I know that. But not directly. The African-American Spiritual, from which almost all American music came, was a blend of African music and the European music around the slaves. It's the blend that took hold.

LOLOL.. You must not go to church very often. There is a long, long tradition of Hymns in addition to black gospel contributions.

I go to church almost every single week. In addition to this, I have a degree in music. So I think I know the difference between tradition and how people actually live. Yes, we have a tradition of singing hymns. So does the entirety of the history of the Christian church, since it's all over Scripture. I'm telling you, you almost NEVER hear singing like Tommy linked in American churches.

My wife works for a Methodist church. She's the one who selects the hymns the pastor is going to use for the sermons on Sunday.

I was referring to American popular music.

My wife works for a Methodist church. She's the one who selects the hymns the pastor is going to use for the sermons on Sunday.

I was referring to American popular music.

I have some Methodist hymnals that are over 100 years old... and some accapella from the Church of Christ. Great music.

Musical people make music. They don't just put earbuds in, see. They make it.

Do our people stop and sing with drummers on the street, as in Africa?

Do our people sing in pubs, as in the UK? Or sing anywhere? We don't sing the National Anthem. We don't even sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", which isn't super easy but not nearly as difficult as SSB.

I don't see Americans gathering instruments together as a matter of course to make music. We give our kids lessons and take band in 6th-7th grade and then forget it. I stand by what I said absolutely.

Where was jazz created?

I'll give you a hint, it was not Africa

I have some Methodist hymnals that are over 100 years old... and some accapella from the Church of Christ. Great music.

But like I said, if it isn't hymn written by old dead white people, it's modern-day "woke" church music that was derived from darkeis working in the field, picking cotton.

Well I'll be. Who would have guessed that the word "darkies" was in the auto-correct? :auiqs.jpg:

Street drummers are some of the best musicians there are. They require no singing.
I participate in African drum circles every summer. No singing, just drumming.
Fun AF.

Drum circles are just drumming, right. I'm talking about the propensity to make music spontaneously among the American population. Or heck, even at all. It's not high.

But like I said, if it isn't hymn written by old dead white people, it's modern-day "woke" church music that was derived from darkeis working in the field, picking cotton.

Well I'll be. Who would have guessed that the word "darkies" was in the auto-correct? :auiqs.jpg:

Many of the Spirituals are excellent. And at any rate, they gave rise to every form of popular music that came after except Bluegrass and folk, which is tiny compared to all other American forms.

I would much, much rather have Gospel music in church rather than the awful "praise choruses" we get. Repetitive melodies, same chords, weak lyrics that have to be repeated, as if repeating them will make them more poignant or impactful

Forum List

Back