How a former rocket scientist makes the best copper pots .

Homemade in the USA.

I had copper bottomed pots once and it was pretty easy to scorch stuff--maybe copper is a super good conductor or something. They're good looking, though, as long as you like polishing.

I live in the woods, ( I mean - we have a house - I'm not like Jeremiah Johnson talking to wolves and wearing bear fur) so hopefully a wood shop out back is in the near future.
Start with bird houses and work my way up. We have some big old pomiferas --osage trees ( horse apples) ...it's a dense orange wood, the area natives used to make their bows with.
26850478_1662601910453030_5260878506554817602_o.jpg

Last time it snowed here - in 2018
26733563_1662606773785877_3066066334759973242_n.jpg

Last edited:
Homemade in the USA.

I had copper bottomed pots once and it was pretty easy to scorch stuff--maybe copper is a super good conductor or something. They're good looking, though, as long as you like polishing.
I have a good set of stainless steel pots and pans with thick copper plates on the bottoms and they certainly do heat fast and evenly, as opposed to my cast iron cookware which heats slowly and unevenly, but has much better heat retention. They each have their pros and cons, depending on what you are cooking.

The guy in the video is making old school copper pots and lining them with tin, which he demonstrates, has a very low melting point. Which of course means that the lining can be easily damaged by overheating if you are not careful. And what he doesn't mention is that if you cook in one of those pans with a damaged lining the copper can leach into your food and poison you.

Many of those antique pans in the video could get you very sick if you used them in that condition. So be forewarned if you find something like that at a garage sale or something.

Last edited:
Homemade in the USA.

I have a good set of stainless steel pots and pans with thick copper plates on the bottoms and they certainly do heat fast and evenly, as opposed to my cast iron cookware which heats slowly and unevenly, but has much better heat retention. They each have their pros and cons, depending on what you are cooking.

The guy in the video is making old school copper pots and lining them with tin, which he demonstrates, has a very low melting point. Which of course means that the lining can be easily damaged by overheating if are not careful. And what he doesn't mention is that if you cook in one of those pans with a damaged lining the copper can leach into your food and poison you.

Many of those antique pans in the video could get you very sick if you used them in that condition. So be forewarned if find something like that at a garage sale or something.

Thanks for that. I have a good set of Martha Stewart heavy bottom stainless steel
pans that work fine for most things.

Forum List

Back