Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood is true?

Locally ... yes ... the high water mark in the Columbia Gorge is still obvious after 15,000 years ... 800 feet above flood stage ... although the flooding of the Black Sea basin might be a better match for the Biblical account ... or perhaps the Biblical account is a combination of many stories of such floods ... they're not as uncommon as history suggests ...

All the sons and daughters of Cain were destroyed ... leaving only Noah and his descendants, who carried on the seed of Seth ...

As the glaciers retreated north after the last ice age. The water flowage and flooding would have been massive. Biblical. The scars of it shaped the very landscape we take for granted today. Carving the many lakes to the north and the huge river valleys such as the Mississippi. The massive erosion can be seen as one travels all over the Northern Hemisphere.
Our human ancestors witnessed this great climate event.
This event was a significant benefit to the evolution of humanity.
The great flood legends may have very well passed down oracally for hundreds of generations until the written word.

The linestone foundation stones at Baalbek, Lebanon are eroded from being submerged.

But... super Christians will tell you that the earth is only 6,000 years old. That's what they deduce from the Bible, and they believe there's scientific evidence to support it.

Don't ask me... I think they're nuts.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
But... super Christians will tell you that the earth is only 6,000 years old. That's what they deduce from the Bible, and they believe there's scientific evidence to support it.

They are wrong.

They’re also desperate. Without the biblical flood, much of Christianity devolves into just more myth and legend.

I do find it a bit creepy that the gods would allow for incestuous and familial relations as the means for Noah and his immediate family to repopulate the planet, all in the timeframe of a few thousand years.

It’s just so silly.

They’re also desperate. Without the biblical flood, much of Christianity devolves into just more myth and legend.

I do find it a bit creepy that the gods would allow for incestuous and familial relations as the means for Noah and his immediate family to repopulate the planet, all in the timeframe of a few thousand years.

It’s just so silly.
Try to stay on topic. Address the article or leave.

It’s just so silly.

I addressed the article, thumpy. Pay attention or leave.

ding, like I think you said, ancient man didn't know the "whole" world, only his neck of the woods. It seems to be pretty established theory that the coastal areas around the Mediterranean and Black Seas flooded at the end of the last ice age due to a big rise in the Atlantic Ocean, from melt water. If this Hiawatha crater is what they think it is, it may have done the deed, but I don't think it necessarily flooded the whole world, ding. All of the earliest civilizations grew up around seas or river systems, for obvious reasons. Over time, they would have all flooded but I don't think every flood that was spoken of by ancient man happened at the same time. A rise in the Atlantic Ocean would not have caused a flood in India or China, I don't think anyway.

Massive crater under Greenland’s ice points to climate-altering impact in the time of humans

Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood, which all ancient cultures have, is true?
No.
what do believe would happen if the energy of 700 1-megaton nuclear bombs was unleashed in the northern polar region and instantly vaporized 1500 gigatons of ice?
Of what relevance is that question?

Sea level might go up by about 20 feet.

Massive crater under Greenland’s ice points to climate-altering impact in the time of humans

Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood, which all ancient cultures have, is true?
To me, it seems more reasonable that the global flood in myth is the rise in sea level that took place about 10,000 years ago. Anyone living by the sea would have had their environment radically changed. Slowly but dramatically. Some areas inhabited by humans, e.g., Doggerland, totally disappeared and may have given rise to oral traditions.

ding, like I think you said, ancient man didn't know the "whole" world, only his neck of the woods. It seems to be pretty established theory that the coastal areas around the Mediterranean and Black Seas flooded at the end of the last ice age due to a big rise in the Atlantic Ocean, from melt water. If this Hiawatha crater is what they think it is, it may have done the deed, but I don't think it necessarily flooded the whole world, ding. All of the earliest civilizations grew up around seas or river systems, for obvious reasons. Over time, they would have all flooded but I don't think every flood that was spoken of by ancient man happened at the same time. A rise in the Atlantic Ocean would not have caused a flood in India or China, I don't think anyway.
It would have been a world wide climate altering event with world wide rain. Flooding would have occurred everywhere until the water ran off.

It’s just so silly.

I addressed the article, thumpy. Pay attention or leave.
I didn’t see it. And it’s my OP so I’m not going anywhere.

To me, it seems more reasonable that the global flood in myth is the rise in sea level that took place about 10,000 years ago. Anyone living by the sea would have had their environment radically changed. Slowly but dramatically. Some areas inhabited by humans, e.g., Doggerland, totally disappeared and may have given rise to oral traditions.
Again, 1500 gigatons of ice being instantly vaporized would have made a global wide climate impact.

Forum List

Back