Here is a politician I could behind…

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
…and he is a Republican. But he identifies the real issues we are facing with two broken parties controlled by their extremes, nationalization of what should be local politics, and entrenched politicians in safe districts that never have to do a damn thing for their constituents to get re-elected. He also identifies the external threats we SHOULD be addressing but can’t because we are obsessed with insignificant “culture war” issues that fire the “base”. His ideas on immigration should have something both wings can support but will it? It is both common sense and humane and protects our borders.

The Revenge of the Normal Republicans

Will Hurd thinks there are enough normal voters to deliver him the 2024 Republican presidential nomination. But is he right?

“Some of my friends, some of my former colleagues, they are desperate,” Hurd tells me. “They are so desperate to hold on to their positions, to hold on to their power, that they make really bad decisions.”

Those bad decisions are evident when it comes to big, history-forming events, such as the party’s enabling of Donald Trump’s assault on American democracy. But the bad decisions are also made subtly, in response to smaller episodes every single day, often to accommodate the party’s ugliest impulses. (The third chapter of Hurd’s book, written as an open letter to the Republican Party, is titled “Don’t Be an Asshole, Racist, Misogynist, or Homophobe.”)

The desperation—lawmakers catering to the loudest voices in the party base—is not healthy, Hurd says. It’s the by-product of safely partisan districts that provide more incentive to light fires than put them out. It’s the consequence of the public’s collapsing faith in the core institutions of civic society, which invites national politicians to weaponize disputes that should be addressed at the local level. It’s the expression of a country in decline—a country convinced that its existential concerns are not Chinese sabotage and Russian disinformation, but face masks in public and vaccines for a virus.

On what we could be facing:
Hurd’s book is notable for many reasons—his personal and professional journeys are legitimately compelling—but most of all for its rebuke of America’s proportionality problem. Drawing on his diverse experiences, from chasing down intelligence overseas to parsing classified documents in Congress to working with groundbreaking tech companies today, Hurd argues that we are woefully unprepared for what is coming our way. Quantum computing has the potential to break every form of encryption that guards our money and our secrets. Artificial intelligence could cut the service-based workforce in half—every two years. Biomedical advances will force questions about the ethics of rewiring our brains and halting the degradation of human cells. In the meantime, China will continue its siege of the American economy—swiping our intellectual property, snatching up our real estate, sabotaging our investments—while Russia will intensify its decades-old campaign to delegitimize our systems of government and turn Americans against one another.

His subtext is plain enough. To confront these challenges, Hurd’s colleagues in the Republican Party might need to rethink their fixation on transgender athletes and critical race theory.

“Everyone treats everything these days like it’s some damn emergency. And it’s got to stop,” Hurd says. “We’re going to be dealing with issues that are so complicated, and so life-altering, that they make the stuff we’re dealing with right now look like tickle fights.”

On immigration:
Why wouldn’t they want Hurd’s input? Simple. Because they knew he wasn’t going to tell them what they wanted to hear. They knew Hurd would offer a set of solutions—the mass streamlining of legal immigration for both high-skilled workers and low-skilled laborers; the construction of a cutting-edge “virtual wall” utilizing cameras and fiber-optic cables to monitor illegal crossings; the granting of citizenship to millions of “Dreamers”; the surge of funding to local agencies dealing with a mass influx of asylum seekers—that would antagonize the loudest voices in both party bases.

…and he is a Republican. But he identifies the real issues we are facing with two broken parties controlled by their extremes, nationalization of what should be local politics, and entrenched politicians in safe districts that never have to do a damn thing for their constituents to get re-elected. He also identifies the external threats we SHOULD be addressing but can’t because we are obsessed with insignificant “culture war” issues that fire the “base”. His ideas on immigration should have something both wings can support but will it? It is both common sense and humane and protects our borders.

Will Hurd thinks there are enough normal voters to deliver him the 2024 Republican presidential nomination. But is he right?

“Some of my friends, some of my former colleagues, they are desperate,” Hurd tells me. “They are so desperate to hold on to their positions, to hold on to their power, that they make really bad decisions.”

Those bad decisions are evident when it comes to big, history-forming events, such as the party’s enabling of Donald Trump’s assault on American democracy. But the bad decisions are also made subtly, in response to smaller episodes every single day, often to accommodate the party’s ugliest impulses. (The third chapter of Hurd’s book, written as an open letter to the Republican Party, is titled “Don’t Be an Asshole, Racist, Misogynist, or Homophobe.”)

The desperation—lawmakers catering to the loudest voices in the party base—is not healthy, Hurd says. It’s the by-product of safely partisan districts that provide more incentive to light fires than put them out. It’s the consequence of the public’s collapsing faith in the core institutions of civic society, which invites national politicians to weaponize disputes that should be addressed at the local level. It’s the expression of a country in decline—a country convinced that its existential concerns are not Chinese sabotage and Russian disinformation, but face masks in public and vaccines for a virus.

Hurd’s book is notable for many reasons—his personal and professional journeys are legitimately compelling—but most of all for its rebuke of America’s proportionality problem. Drawing on his diverse experiences, from chasing down intelligence overseas to parsing classified documents in Congress to working with groundbreaking tech companies today, Hurd argues that we are woefully unprepared for what is coming our way. Quantum computing has the potential to break every form of encryption that guards our money and our secrets. Artificial intelligence could cut the service-based workforce in half—every two years. Biomedical advances will force questions about the ethics of rewiring our brains and halting the degradation of human cells. In the meantime, China will continue its siege of the American economy—swiping our intellectual property, snatching up our real estate, sabotaging our investments—while Russia will intensify its decades-old campaign to delegitimize our systems of government and turn Americans against one another.

His subtext is plain enough. To confront these challenges, Hurd’s colleagues in the Republican Party might need to rethink their fixation on transgender athletes and critical race theory.

“Everyone treats everything these days like it’s some damn emergency. And it’s got to stop,” Hurd says. “We’re going to be dealing with issues that are so complicated, and so life-altering, that they make the stuff we’re dealing with right now look like tickle fights.”

On immigration:
Why wouldn’t they want Hurd’s input? Simple. Because they knew he wasn’t going to tell them what they wanted to hear. They knew Hurd would offer a set of solutions—the mass streamlining of legal immigration for both high-skilled workers and low-skilled laborers; the construction of a cutting-edge “virtual wall” utilizing cameras and fiber-optic cables to monitor illegal crossings; the granting of citizenship to millions of “Dreamers”; the surge of funding to local agencies dealing with a mass influx of asylum seekers—that would antagonize the loudest voices in both party bases.
If he is establishment like Nixon, Bush 41 or Bush 43, then he can go screw himself. You progs had a chance with progressive John McCain, you know the Maverick darling of the Republican Party, but instead you voted for the brown turd Obammy, which after 8 years , gave US the great President Donald Trump, MAGA baby..Lowest unemployment rate for women, blacks, and Hispanics, low prices for energy and no empty shelves.

Hurd might indeed win the 2024 GOP nomination.

But unless he executes a plan to win the votes of the 74 million little Trumpsters, he can expect to get royally schlonged by Brandon.

I just don't see it, but I could be wrong. If he starts hanging out with Hershall Walker and the Big Trumpster, he might start getting a little bit of cred.

But if he goes into the fall of 2024 trashtalking the Trumpster and showing his hatred for America's Basket of Deplorables, personally I would vote for Sleepy Joe to keep him out of the WH.

But unless he executes a plan to win the votes of the 74 million little Trumpsters, he can expect to get royally schlonged by Brandon.

I just don't see it, but I could be wrong. If he starts hanging out with Hershall Walker and the Big Trumpster, he might start getting a little bit of cred.

But if he goes into the fall of 2024 trashtalking the Trumpster and showing his hatred for America's Basket of Deplorables, personally I would vote for Sleepy Joe to keep him out of the WH.
I like Hershall walker as a person, but how in hell can hanging out with that guy bring "cred"? LOL

On immigration:
A transcription is unnecessary when you have already provided a link.

This is the same kind of argument that the Bernie Bros made.

From the link:

“The moderates are the ones who behave the same way regardless of whether their party is in power or not. The moderates are critical to crafting and passing legislation that actually gets signed into law. The moderates are the ones who work the hardest,” Hurd writes in his book. “And we are the ones who get shit done. Extremists do the most bitching and get the least accomplished.”

Hurd will be labeled a RINO or mugwump for expressing this opinion….

I appreciated it because I thought he chose not to run because he might be primaried

That would really show Mr. Hurd's hypocrisy. If he refuses to run because he might be primaried, then he goes out and decides to primary President Trump in 2024.

If he is establishment like Nixon, Bush 41 or Bush 43, then he can go screw himself. You progs had a chance with progressive John McCain, you know the Maverick darling of the Republican Party, but instead you voted for the brown turd Obammy, which after 8 years , gave US the great President Donald Trump, MAGA baby..Lowest unemployment rate for women, blacks, and Hispanics, low prices for energy and no empty shelves.

Once again you prove your total obsession with race has your emotions trumping intellect every single time.

The stuff you give Trump credit for are ALL achievements of the Obama/Biden administration, especially the low energy prices. You continue to give Trump credit for things Obama accomplished, like energy independence, and never bother to note at the end of his Presidency, the millions of people were sick, half a million had died, the economy was completely crashed, and both the GDP, and unemployment were the worst in decades.

Trump caused the empty shelves when he cancelled all your trade deals, failed to replace them, and then told American businesses to "rethink" their supply chains, without having any trade deals with your trading partners upon which to base the decisions.

From the link:

“The moderates are the ones who behave the same way regardless of whether their party is in power or not. The moderates are critical to crafting and passing legislation that actually gets signed into law. The moderates are the ones who work the hardest,” Hurd writes in his book. “And we are the ones who get shit done. Extremists do the most bitching and get the least accomplished.”

Hurd will be labeled a RINO or mugwump for expressing this opinion….
yeah. And "the extremists" currently decide what either party will seek in congress. Nothing gets done... not even when both trump and biden had the WH and both houses.

Once again you prove your total obsession with race has your emotions trumping intellect every single time.

The stuff you give Trump credit for are ALL achievements of the Obama/Biden administration, especially the low energy prices. You continue to give Trump credit for things Obama accomplished, like energy independence, and never bother to note at the end of his Presidency, the millions of people were sick, half a million had died, the economy was completely crashed, and both the GDP, and unemployment were the worst in decades.

Trump caused the empty shelves when he cancelled all your trade deals, failed to replace them, and then told American businesses to "rethink" their supply chains, without having any trade deals with your trading partners upon which to base the decisions.

Sleepy Joe has been in power for 14 months, its all his fault.

The Donald is just enjoying life in Florida, getting ready to perhaps offer himself for the Presidency in 2024 if he thinks the people are ready for change. If the people aren't ready for change, we will have Brandon in office, certainly not an anti-Trumpster zealot like Mr. Hurd.

I’m cynical about him winning the GOP nomination. Primaries tend to reward the most extreme…then they have to walk back some of it in order to win enough moderates for a national election. I hope I’m wrong.

Sleepy Joe has been in power for 14 months, its all his fault.

The Donald is just enjoying life in Florida, getting ready to perhaps offer himself for the Presidency in 2024 if he thinks the people are ready for change. If the people aren't ready for change, we will have Brandon in office, certainly not an anti-Trumpster zealot like Mr. Hurd.
He doesn’t like a zealot. He sounds practical and he identifies our real national problems both internal and external without a lot of bashing of individuals but rather systemic problems in the parties.

Forum List

Back