Here is a politician I could behind…

From the link:

“The moderates are the ones who behave the same way regardless of whether their party is in power or not. The moderates are critical to crafting and passing legislation that actually gets signed into law. The moderates are the ones who work the hardest,” Hurd writes in his book. “And we are the ones who get shit done. Extremists do the most bitching and get the least accomplished.”

Hurd will be labeled a RINO or mugwump for expressing this opinion….
The moderates are the one’s able to cross the aisle and work with tbe other side to pass things. They seem to be a dying breed though.

But something just occurred to me and I should look it up. There was a veterans group funding veteran candidates for either party and one of their planks was a willingness to work with the other side and pass legislation. Don’t know how successful they have been.

The moderates are the one’s able to cross the aisle and work with tbe other side to pass things. They seem to be a dying breed though.

But something just occurred to me and I should look it up. There was a veterans group funding veteran candidates for either party and one of their planks was a willingness to work with the other side and pass legislation. Don’t know how successful they have been.

And here is why:

Kennedy Democrats and Eisenhower Republicans are all but extinct. Most liberals do not think the former is progressive enough while the latter get vilified as RINOS…

I’m cynical about him winning the GOP nomination. Primaries tend to reward the most extreme…then they have to walk back some of it in order to win enough moderates for a national election. I hope I’m wrong.

The Establishment Republicans control the rules by which the nomination is granted. Mr. France won most of the primaries against President Hoover in 1932, yet still lost the nomination.

As a lib, I'm sure you are excited about having the GOP nominate a sure loser like Hurd- or Romney, Cheney or Hogan- in 2024. I'd say its a real possibility, depending on how well the party officials are able to silence the Deplorables.

The Establishment Republicans control the rules by which the nomination is granted. Mr. France won most of the primaries against President Hoover in 1932, yet still lost the nomination.

As a lib, I'm sure you are excited about having the GOP nominate a sure loser like Hurd- or Romney, Cheney or Hogan- in 2024. I'd say its a real possibility, depending on how well the party officials are able to silence the Deplorables.
Cheney is a hard core conservative. But someone like Hurd or Romney could realistically win over enough independents and Democrates who might be disillusioned with Biden. Cheney wouldn’t her politics and voting record line up with Trumps.

What Hurd position on which issue appeals to you most?
One that stands out is immigration.

Another is in what he says here:

“I wanted to show solidarity with Black America. I wanted to explain it was okay to be simultaneously outraged by a Black man being murdered in police custody, thankful that law enforcement puts themselves in harm’s way to enable our First Amendment rights, and pissed off that criminals are treading on American values by looting and killing police officers,”

That you CAN support all of that, it doesn’t HAVE to be just one against tbe other.

Cheney is a hard core conservative. But someone like Hurd or Romney could realistically win over enough independents and Democrates who might be disillusioned with Biden. Cheney wouldn’t her politics and voting record line up with Trumps.

Hurd and Romney wouldn't win over enough independents and Democrats to make up for the millions of Little Trumpsters their nomination would disenfranchise.

One that stands out is immigration.

Another is in what he says here:

“I wanted to show solidarity with Black America. I wanted to explain it was okay to be simultaneously outraged by a Black man being murdered in police custody, thankful that law enforcement puts themselves in harm’s way to enable our First Amendment rights, and pissed off that criminals are treading on American values by looting and killing police officers,”

That you CAN support all of that, it doesn’t HAVE to be just one against tbe other.
Trump campaigned in black areas that hadn't seen a repub candidate in decades.

I doubt a Centrist candidate has any shot. We’re at the tail end of a long distillation process that has resulted in the two sides we have today. There is precious little either side has left to compromise on, without liquidating their party, and plank. Additionally what each side wants to add to the government stew pot; neither side is really willing to accept.

I doubt a Centrist candidate has any shot. We’re at the tail end of a long distillation process that has resulted in the two sides we have today. There is precious little either side has left to compromise on, without liquidating their party, and plank. Additionally what each side wants to add to the government stew pot; neither side is really willing to accept.
I'm not predicting what will occur, but it does seem the gop is heading towards a totally open nomination fight, and I don't think Biden running again is a given.

Operative word is State.......ooooops....
Who elected them?

But, it is worth pointing out this is a good example of local politics becoming nationalized. What do you think is most important in my state (WV)? I guarantee it isn’t CRT when we are an almost completely white state and our governor can’t actually come up with a single example of of it actually being taught but look what they just passed :rolleyes:

…and he is a Republican. But he identifies the real issues we are facing with two broken parties controlled by their extremes, nationalization of what should be local politics, and entrenched politicians in safe districts that never have to do a damn thing for their constituents to get re-elected.
You're on the wrong track and here's the reason why:

Trump's success came to him because he offered social change that would benefit the ordinary working class people.
But he did it from a position that was in truth illiberal and socially irresponsible priorities. He never did intend to follow through and deliver!

But his promises worked and could maybe work again if his loyal followers still believe in his lies.

The point is coyote, the next successful candidate is going to have to promise the same for the working class. All of the other talking points are secondary to Trump's promises of economic freedom for working people.

So be the successful candidate be a D or an R, it's going to be a hard sell with Trump's false promises competing from the wings. And of course, half the country hating D's and the other half hating R's!

Maybe it's simple? A candidate who promises all the priorities of the left (Biden's agenda mainly), but convince the people somehow that he's a Republican? Is such a candidate possible? Maybe an 'I' candidate?

The difference with Trump was that he 'is' a Republican and his promises were only lies.

Your guy needs to keep it simple and on target for mostly ignorant people. Promise Biden's agenda and pretend to be a Republican.

Forum List

Back