CDZ Having a hard time teaching my children about the Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy etc.

AntiParty

Tea is the new Kool-Aid
Mar 12, 2014
I have a hard time teaching my children to believe in mythical figures. Am I the only one? If I'm the only person in the community that teaches my children these lies don't exist, I will become a target.

. Why do we seek a supernatural mythical being to control our children's behaviors?

Why do we give Santa so much credit for the things we buy? Why don't we simply tell the kid that "We know when you've been bad or good so be good for parents sake"

Why do we tell kids rabbits lay eggs?

Why do we tell kids a mythical fairy will put money under a pillow if they lose a tooth? Why don't we just tell them we as parents will give them $ if they tough it out?

I want to tell my kids Santa isn't real and I can't get over it.

What's hard about it? Let them be kids.

Maybe it's because I was raised as a Christian and I was taught not to lie. And maybe it's because if I was foolish enough to believe in fictional characters for so long just because my parents told me it was true, maybe other characters they taught me about aren't true either.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor"....That kind of thinking. "There are six things that the LORD strongly dislikes, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood"

No one in your community cares whether you believe in Santa.

^That wasn't the topic, it was whether or not I gold my kids Santa isn't real. But I know you aren't good at "topics".

If I tell my kids "Santa isn't real" and they will probably tell other kids.

Not sure if you were confused about the topic or if you still think Santa is real:booze:

I pity your kids. You probably don't take them to McDonald's every now and then because Ronald McDonald isn't a real character, he's 100 different men around the country who auditioned, and who dress up like Ronald McDonald whenever there's a local promotional event going on...like raising millions of dollars for children's hospital care. You've posted some idiotic answers in this forum, but that one up above takes the cake.

I pity your kids. You probably don't take them to McDonald's every now and then because Ronald McDonald isn't a real character, he's 100 different men around the country who auditioned, and who dress up like Ronald McDonald whenever there's a local promotional event going on...like raising millions of dollars for children's hospital care. You've posted some idiotic answers in this forum, but that one up above takes the cake.

I take them to McDonalds. I even taught them to tell their Pediatrician their favorite food is MSG.

You know Clowns and Santa are no where near the same, (R)ight? Your perspective paints you as someone that teaches your children that Ronald McDonald is real......

^ Not too b(r)ight.

Cracks me up............"Why tell your kids Santa isn't real! Next thing you won't take them to McDonalds" LOL.........

P.S. My post wasn't an "answer".

Last edited:
I have a hard time teaching my children to believe in mythical figures. Am I the only one? If I'm the only person in the community that teaches my children these lies don't exist, I will become a target.

. Why do we seek a supernatural mythical being to control our children's behaviors?

Why do we give Santa so much credit for the things we buy? Why don't we simply tell the kid that "We know when you've been bad or good so be good for parents sake"

Why do we tell kids a mythical fairy will put money under a pillow if they lose a tooth? Why don't we just tell them we as parents will give them $ if they tough it out?

It's all about tradition.

Whether you are lying to them about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy... or attempting to deliver to them your impression of "God", you are making a choice on whether or not you wish to impose upon them the traditions of the culture around you, be it the culture of your Country, or the culture of your religion.

Most people would rather do that than create their own traditions. Most people are... followers.

Pagans know better than most people all about creating our own traditions, but that doesn't mean we can't still celebrate the holidays of the cultures around us. We just usually do so in our own Way.

You don't have to lie to your kids. You can still find ways to make the holidays special and magickal.

Who knows.

Maybe you'll come up up with a tradition way more awesome than Santa or the Tooth Fairy that doesn't involve lying to your children, yet will give them excitement to look forward to every year.

Just remember, traditions are built up over time. A seed can grow into a magnificant tree. But you gotta water it. Give it sunlight.

Among other things, Pagans celebrate a basic Wheel of the Year (solstices, equinoxes, and their midpoints), and the rituals and traditions we create and come up with get more and more exciting and magickal every year, because then we can look back and remember all the epic times times we had, and how it all started when we made the choice to create something of our own.

You ain't gotta be Pagan to develop your own epic traditions to celebrate alone or with family or friends.​

Last edited:
It's all about having some fun with your kids, don't take it so serious.

They will realize Santa ain't real when they grow up, untill then don't be a buzz kill.

No one in your community cares whether you believe in Santa.

^That wasn't the topic, it was whether or not I gold my kids Santa isn't real. But I know you aren't good at "topics".

If I tell my kids "Santa isn't real" and they will probably tell other kids.

Not sure if you were confused about the topic or if you still think Santa is real:booze:
No I am not confused at all. You said 'If I'm the only person in the community that teaches my children these lies don't exist, I will become a target.'

It is clear you are not really concerned about your kids, rather the delusional idea that you are important enough that anyone in the 'community' knows or cares who you are. I simply pointed out that you aren't.

Were you told there was a Santa Claus or told by someone that there was no Santa Claus? What about the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny?

Do you have a problem with reading Dr. Seuss to them?

You need to get your schools and local government to put up displays honoring Santa and the Easter Bunny

Maybe we can get "In Santa we trust" printed on our money

You need to get your schools and local government to put up displays honoring Santa and the Easter Bunny

Maybe we can get "In Santa we trust" printed on our money

No. Santa didn't get me that new bike I wanted. I don't trust him.

I've always though there are some people who shouldn't have children. Period

My son never believed in Santa Claus. He was never told. He just never believed it. Despite that, we kept Santa as an active part of Christmas and put out cookies every Christmas Eve. I suspect that my son ate all the cookies. To this day we have Santa. His granddaughter has visits from Santa.

I can't answer for Easter because we never celebrated Easter beyond an egg hunt until my son was six. When he asked to hide the eggs it was time to stop.

If you don't want tooth fairy business don't do it. There is no religious connotation connected to the tooth fairy. It's a harmless childhood fiction like wishing on a star.

Why is it so important to remove childhood imagination?

An interesting note about Santa, life and truth... My grandson asked me if Santa was real. He's nine years old, in the fourth grade. Thought it was time he knew, someone was going to make fun of him for believing. I told him Santa will always be there in your heart. He said "I knew it! He isn't real!" And laughed.

THen came Halloween and his brother was dressing as a pimp but no one would tell him what a pimp was. So he came to me and asked me what a pimp was. I told him it was a man who got paid for arranging dates for men. "Ha, he said! Now I know what a pimp is. Grandma always tells me the truth. When I grow up I think I'll be a pimp. I know a lot of people!" :(

Why is it so important to remove childhood imagination?

"Removing childhood imagination"?

The imagination is one of the most powerful Forces we have at our disposal.

The imagination goes FAR beyond Santa and the Tooth Fairy. Those things may be popular to the American mundane mindset, but there are far better ways to amplify your children's imagination and help them feel the magick of tradition.

Forum List

Back