Have a Grateful Memorial Day

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Of course, do not wish 'happy' on this day.

Memorial Day Weekend is the time to remember the honored dead who paid the ultimate price for this great nation. Like the uncle I never met who paid that price.

May God Bless them all.

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 7.56.54 PM.png

Good sentiment Excalibur, but one cannot help but wonder about what Smedley Butler said a century ago.

Was he right? Is war actually a racket that favors business and special interests?

That's 7. It means they have to shoot 3X to make a 21-gun salute. It's an honor guard.

I have seen this, my uncle was in D-Day. He had nightmares any time he fell asleep for the rest of his life.

I reckon he told me this: A guy he went through Basic with had his leg blown off and it passed right in front of my uncle's face, flying. Then he bled out in an artillery crater while my uncle was taking cover in it. He held him, but there was nothing he could do. He had bad nightmares for the rest of his life. That's how I learned about PTSD, and there was nothing for that back in the day. If he fell asleep, it was a 50/50 chance he'd end up back there on the beach. That's how I grew up.
I toted him to his final resting place. He was an awesome man.

Last edited:
Please don't forget about the many that made it back home in one piece, to then commit suicide, because they couldn't live with what they had seen. RIP warriors.

Forum List

Back