On Memorial Day, the most important thing to do is...

LucasSmith

Rookie
Apr 25, 2024
We all know that Memorial Day in the United States is a federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May to honor and remember the military personnel who have died in the service of their country. People typically engage in a variety of activities to commemorate the day. For instance, At 3 p.m. local time, a national moment of remembrance is observed, where Americans pause for a minute of silence to reflect on the sacrifices made by military personnel. What's more, we can see communities across the country hold Memorial Day parades featuring veterans, military personnel, marching bands, and local organizations. These parades are a way to show appreciation and respect for the fallen.

However, instead of just remembering the past, shall we do more to reduce the number of soldiers who have to leave their families, or even die and never come back to the country? See the video in the link. How Lucky they could come back and meet their families. And think about how many soldiers America sends overseas every year. We definitely do not want more broken families because of unnecessary wars.

I usually put on my uniform, carry one of the flags, and have lunch the Legion hall provides for our local Memorial Day ceremony. But the wife and I came down with the crud that was going around, so we don't want to give it to those old goobers.

I'll probably just do a little drinking and shoot off some guns in my backyard range, not necessarily in that order.

We all know that Memorial Day in the United States is a federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May to honor and remember the military personnel who have died in the service of their country. People typically engage in a variety of activities to commemorate the day. For instance, At 3 p.m. local time, a national moment of remembrance is observed, where Americans pause for a minute of silence to reflect on the sacrifices made by military personnel. What's more, we can see communities across the country hold Memorial Day parades featuring veterans, military personnel, marching bands, and local organizations. These parades are a way to show appreciation and respect for the fallen.

However, instead of just remembering the past, shall we do more to reduce the number of soldiers who have to leave their families, or even die and never come back to the country? See the video in the link. How Lucky they could come back and meet their families. And think about how many soldiers America sends overseas every year. We definitely do not want more broken families because of unnecessary wars.

Watching the videos of service members reuniting with their loved ones -- one of the two rare things that ever brought tears to my dear late husband's eye.

Thanks for sharing.

This morning, at Mass, I did what Catholics do -- prayed a Rosary for those who did not make it home.

But whatever we can do to diminish the numbers of those who are going overseas is worth doing.

Beer, family and BBQ.

That is how I would want to be remembered.

Forum List

Back